Looking to buy the best Acoustic Guitar? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for you.
The conventional form of the acoustic guitar hasn’t altered much over the last 100 years, despite technological advancements.
It’s also expected to remain the same for the next century.
Isn’t it true that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?
Acoustic guitars aren’t going anywhere. They’re still one of the most important instruments in today’s music.
If you’re reading this, you’re either a novice guitarist who’s been scrounging around on a friend’s guitar, or you’ve been putting in the hours and want to reward yourself with a new guitar you can’t put down.
It should not be rushed: this is the instrument you will bring to parties, jam with friends on, and possibly even perform with.
But, before you go to the guitar store and get sucked in by the hard sale, make sure you know what to look for and what to anticipate.
Alternatively, you can cut out the middleman and buy directly from an online merchant.
What should I do first?
Buying a guitar can feel like joining a tribe, with the various forms and brands (as well as string choices) identifying you as a specific sort of musician.
Of course, the sound quality should be important, but which sound do you want?
Sounds that are trashy, rough, raw, boomy, and metallic have character, but sounds that are genteel, delicate, balanced, and crystal-clear have nuance and definition.
It comes down to personal taste, so if you’re not sure what you’re looking for, dig out your favourite records — whether Bert Jansch or Lindsey Buckingham – and start listening.
What is the significance of the shape?
It’s not only a matter of taste: the shape has an impact on the resonance (how the sound of you hitting the strings is amplified).
Dreadnought and large auditorium are the two most common shapes.
Dreadnought: Dreadnoughts were used by John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Gram Parsons, and Jimmy Page.
Because of its powerful tone, especially at the bottom end, strummy songs had more body.
It can withstand a bit rough abuse because to its square shoulders and bottom.
Add stronger strings to give the guitar a “iron” feel of weight and power, and you’ve got a guitar that distinguishes the adults from the kids.
The Grand Auditorium has a unique appearance due to the fact that it is ‘pulled in’ at the waist.
This form prevents sound from rattling about the guitar’s body, giving it a lighter, brighter tone that’s ideal for fingerpicking and nuanced playing.
It’s also more comfortable to sit with your waist over your knees, which is ideal for reclining on sofas.
Cutaway: These are available in any of the two basic designs described above, with a section of the guitar ‘cut away’ to allow your fingers to play higher notes and different tones from the lower notes.
Pick-ups are either built-in microphones or microphones that attach to the instrument and have a cable at the other end that you can put in for amplification.
A good pick-up may quadruple the price of a guitar; keep this in mind if you’re buying a guitar with one built in, as it tells a lot about the unamplified instrument’s quality.
What exactly do I do in the store?
The first guideline is that the guitar should not be plugged in.
If you fall in love with it without the pick-up, you’ve found the instrument’s genuine tone.
The second rule is to prepare a few melodies ahead of time so you don’t have to resort to the panicked E/A/D formation.
You’d be surprised how self-conscious you feel sitting in front of staff who have nothing else to do all day than practise, no matter how excellent you are.
What is the best finish?
Acoustic guitars come in a variety of lacquer finishes, which can alter the sound of the instrument when it is performed.
First and foremost, it’s crucial to mention that there is no such thing as a guitar without a lacquer finish, so you could get a strange look if you ask that question in a guitar store.
However, there are two primary types of guitar finishes:
Gloss: a glossier, shinier surface that is smoother to the touch.
Matte: a less glossy texture that is harsh to the touch yet does not reflect light.
Feel and tone are the best ways to understand the differences between these finshes.
Guitars with a matt finish are slightly louder than those with a gloss finish because the lacquer coating is thinner.
In general, the thicker the lacquer, the more the finish muffles the sound.
When compared to gloss finish guitars, matte guitars have a thin coating that has little effect on the wood.
Gloss, on the other hand, is easier to clean than matt.
What does “action” mean?
In guitars with a truss rod – the long bolt running the length of the neck – the “action” is the distance between the strings and the frets, which may be modified.
Small action is wonderful for precise playing and easy fingering, but too low and the strings may chatter against the frets when you strum firmly.
Steel-strung or nylon-strung?
Nylon-strung guitars are used by both children and classical guitarists: youngsters because steel strings are too abrasive on their fingertips, and classical musicians because the repertoire and style of playing necessitate it.
You can learn both popular and classical techniques, but unless you’re one half of Rodriguez y Gabriela, you probably won’t have enough time.
Begin with one and work your way up.
- Acoustic Guitar: The Martin Smith W101 acoustic guitar included in this acoustic guitar kit has a dreadnought ergonomic body that is made for playability and has a high gloss finish
- Metal Gear-heads and Steel Strings: Designed to make tuning your acoustic guitar easier and remain in tune for longer the steel guitar strings on this acoustic guitar ensure you spend less time tuning and more time playing
- Guitar Tuner: No acoustic guitar beginner kit would be complete without a guitar tuner, this clip-on guitar tuner is both easy to use and provides clear feedback to the player
- Guitar Stand: For when you are not playing, the foldable guitar stand included in this package will ensure that your acoustic guitar can be displayed safely and proudly
- Guitar Accessories: Everyone has a different playing style, the included guitar strap within this package will help those looking to stand whilst they play, to cover you in case of breakage, this guitar package included a spare set of acoustic guitar strings and guitar picks and a plectrum holder are included within this package
- Presenting the multi-award winning Yamaha F310 - a full-size steel string guitar which draws on Yamaha's knowledge of professional instruments to provide novices their first playing experience
- Yamaha's F Series are crafted from select tonewoods such as a spruce top and rosewood fingerboard, combined with a tough thin lacquer finish to give the guitar a warm responsive and refined sound
- Designed to be kind to your fingertips - the F310's comfortable slim neck and slightly shorter scale length makes strings easier to play without compromising the sound of the instrument
- Even and accurate fret positioning and quality tuning gears - for playing along the full length of the neck / Suitable for players of all levels - a package comparable to guitars that cost a lot more
- Items delivered: 1x Yamaha F310 Full Size Steel String Acoustic Guitar in Tobacco Brown Sunburst / Guitar info literature / Allen key
- Acoustic Guitar: The Martin Smith W100 acoustic guitar has a dreadnought ergonomic body that is made for playability and is finished in a high gloss
- Steel Guitar Strings: Designed to remain in tune for longer once they have settled, the steel guitar strings on this guitar will generate a loud and warm tone
- Metal Gearheads: Making tuning more easier and more precise, the metal gearheads on this acoustic guitar are more durable than their plastic counterparts
- Accessories: This acoustic guitar kit comes with an adjustable guitar strap and guitar plectrums
- Spare Guitar Strings: Protecting you from inevitable breakages, this guitar pack includes a spare set of strings
- ◆This 38 inch guitar is designed specifically for young learners or women with a scale and compact body that offer excellent playing comfort. PACKAGE INCLUDES: a case, guitar pick, pitch pipe, a shoulder strap, and an extra set of strings, NO assembly required. Nice shiny finish, and a some floral decoration around the sound hole, makes it decent and stylish.
- ◆Complete 38 inch full size folk acoustic guitar of all wood construction which is full-bodied sound and sounds great, 6-steel strong and sturdy strings. The slim neck provides a comfortable feel and excellent play ability, and the smooth satin effect maximizes resonance for optimal sound quality. Smooth tuning pegs help a lot for people who are in hopes of training and learning acoustic guitar on their own.
- ◆Intended for right-handed users, the body features a 19 fret fingerboard and an easy to use tuner. We recommend you getting a Tune app on your phone when you tune your guitar for a more accurate tune up or do not know how to use the pitch pipe. Guitar comes with a nice adjustable guitar strap, it fits securely onto the strap pin on the body end of the guitar, and the other end is tied to the head side of the neck.
- ◆Containing everything the beginner needs in one box, the parts accessories are in the small boxes inside of the guitar box, please check them when you received. Got a defective or broken guitar? Please contact us and we will help you replace it! If you want to get a guitar for practice, learning, messing around with, this guitar is perfect for you! 1 year WARRANTY.
- ◆Warm Tips: Most guitars are shipped from the manufacturer with the strings loose in order to relieve tension on the neck and as to prevent string breakage during shipping. It takes a little time (maybe 24 hrs) for strings to settle and hold tuning. Its also important to stretch the strings so that they hold tune,stretching them properly can take days or weeks before they achieve optimal tension, thank you.
- BLACK RIGHT-HAND ACOUSTIC GUITAR KIT:Donner acoustic guitar kit includes acoustic guitar, padded gig bag, strap, digital clip-on tuner, capo, pickguard, extra pack of string, 4 picks, clean cloth and Allen wrench. Comes with all necessary accessories beginners need. A great gift for festival day and birthday!
- SPUCE MAHOGANY AND BRONZE STRING: Donner acoustic steel string guitar is made of Spruce top mahogany body brings you richer and brighter sound, balanced tone and full rich intermediate frequency, and prolongs resonance. Exquisite black color spray painting and 6 bronze strings provide crisp sound.
- 4/4 DREADNOUGHT BODY: Full-size 41 inch dreadnought cutaway body for full and vibrant tone, rich warm clear sound. Suited for all styles of music. Suitable for a guitar starter to make their own music.
- STAY IN TUNE: Constructed with phosphor bronze strings with High Carbon Steel Hex Core and high hardness bridge saddle and bone nut, Donner guitar is easy to tune and hold tune after first tune-up of strings.
- BLACK MATTE AND FINGERBOARD FOR GUITAR BEGINNER：The smooth black matte finish maximizes resonance for optimal sound quality. 20 Brass Frets with Fret position Marks at 3th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 17th frets on neck and top of fingerboard. Good for beginners, professionals, adults etc.
- FANTASTIC BEGINNER GUITAR KIT – This 3rd Avenue acoustic guitar bundle includes everything you need to get started, making it perfect for the beginner player. Includes a lightweight carry bag for transport and storage, strap so you can stand up and play, spare strings and plectrums to get playing right out the box! A great gift for adults, teenagers, family and friends at birthdays and Christmas
- GUITAR FOR BEGINNERS – Full size right-handed 6-string acoustic guitar with phosphor bronze steel strings is ideal for starter musicians. The traditional dreadnought design is comfortable for all players and the C shaped neck makes gripping the fretboard easy. The fingerboard on this guitar is smooth and the action is low which makes chords effortless and fun to play
- HANDCRAFTED GUITAR – Traditional shaped handmade dreadnought acoustic guitar with gloss blueburst finished poplar top and scalloped X bracing for sustained durability and resonance. It also has blueburst poplar back and sides to give a warm and round tone. A dyed maple fretboard with protective bindings and 1:18 ratio geared machine heads mean you spend less time tuning and more time playing
- SIZE / SPECIFICATIONS – This is a 4/4 sized beginner guitar so ideal for anyone 12+ looking to start learning the guitar or progressing to a full-sized model. Great for lessons, rehearsals, practicing and performing. Total Length: 40”/101cm; Scale Length: 25.5”/65cm; Body Width: 15”/38cm; No. of Frets: 21 Frets; Guitar String Material: Steel
- FREE LESSONS – Included with this guitar is 6 Months FREE Online Lessons from the award winning Gigajam Music School. These lessons are video based, so you get to learn and follow a real person, helping beginners understand and get to grips with the basics of guitar playing quickly. Once logged in you can track your progress and even take online music grades!
- A perfect guitar to learn or continue the journey/Drawing from Yamaha's knowledge of premium professional instruments to give beginners and experienced players a top quality, great value instrument
- The Yamaha F Series - Crafted from select tonewoods such as spruce top, and a rosewood fingerboard which give a warm, responsive and bold sound/Thin lacquer ensures clarity in every note
- Each guitar delivers a superb playing experience right out of the box/Low string action and precise intonation means the guitar will sound and stay in tune along the whole length of the fingerboard
- Overall length of 104 cm/Trouble-free tuning up ensured by quality tuning gears designed to make tuning quick and easy, keeping the guitar in tune for longer - for an outstanding playing experience
- Items delivered: 1 x Yamaha F370 Guitar in Black with matt finish, 1 x Yamaha black fitted guitar bag/Warranty and guitar info literature
- I believe you are attracted to the picture and then you are here. The unique color design on top of Winzz acoustic guitar is inspired by lightning and the sea and made by a special craft, all hand-polished by our experienced craftsmen. Unique design, make guitars different.
- Winzz 40 inches acoustic guitar kit, ideal for adults or the youth over 11 years old to start learning and practice, compared to the low-end beginner guitars on the market, this is a guitar can be for long term use, you will never worry about the action and the sound.
- A medium-grade guitar that can be used not only for learning, but also for performing! Connected to amplifier, guitar pickup in the package then works when stage performance, outdoor show, mini-concert etc.
- A perfect, surprise, unique gift for the people who want to learn guitar or just love music, very nice looking, good action, beautiful sound, well packaged, necessory accessories…Your precious love in this perfect gift will never be forgotten.
- Winzz acoustic guitar beginner kit including soft padded gig bag, black guitar strap, clip-on digital tuner, 3 guitar picks, guitar pickup and guitar stand.
- Ideal for Fingerstyle & detailed playing / The Grand Concert body size delivers a well-balanced mid-range tone with great clarity / often favoured for Blues / Jazz / Country style
- Practice, Perform or Record : Ibanez AEQ-2T preamp w/Onboard tuner allows you to tune-up and turn up / 2 band EQ & Volume for total control in any live performance or studio/home recording session.
- Classic styling : Featuring a Low Gloss 'Open Pore' finish to allow the wood to resonate / Okoume top / Okoume back & sides / Laurel fretboard & bridge
- The PC12 neck design is tactile and responsive, detailed and fast / Equipped with Chrome open Gear Tuners / Ibanez Advantage Bridge pins & tortoiseshell rosette
- Items delivered : 1 x PC12MHCE Full Size, Steel String , Grand Concert Electro-Acoustic Guitar in 'Open Pore Natural' finish / Guitar manual / 9v PP3 Battery / Neck adjustment key
- The AEG Range. A 6 String Electro-acoustic Guitar from the world leading Ibanez guitar brand / Ibanez renowned quality, playability and craftsmanship whatever your level or style of guitar playing.
- Easy on the hands: The AEG neck design is tactile and responsive, comfortable and precise for strumming or fingerstyle / Equipped with Chrome Die-cast Tuners & Ibanez Advantage Bridge pins.
- Style & Substance: Featuring a Natural Open-Pore finish that allows the instrument to resonate, Sapele top/ Sapele back & sides / Purpleheart fretboard & bridge for an impressive and sustainable look.
- Ideal for beginner & intermediate / Ibanez design every guitar, affordable or professional - with sound quality, comfort, style and ease of use in mind. Creating music at any level inspires passion.
- Items delivered: 1 x AEG7MH Full Size 6-String Electro-acoustic Guitar in ‘Open Pore Natural’ Finish/ Guitar manual / Neck adjustment key
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!