A good air purifier can make a big difference in your life by reducing allergens like pollen and mould spores, as well as protecting you from wildfire smoke and other types of smoke. However, to be considered great, an air purifier must be powerful enough to clean the air in a large living room or playroom, quiet and dark enough for you to sleep near it in a bedroom, and affordable enough that you can afford to have several scattered throughout your home.
How do you pick the best air purifier for your needs?
I’m not sure how much I’ll need to spend.
Air purifiers range in price from £100 to over £1,000, but it’s not always the case that the more you spend, the better the equipment. Indeed, we’ve discovered low-cost devices with functionality often reserved for far more expensive equipment. That isn’t to suggest that a high-priced air purifier is always overpriced; the Blue Air Pro L, for example, offers a high-tech solution for alleviating allergy problems in larger regions. Remember that operational costs might range from a few pounds per year to over £70 per year, so don’t simply think about the initial money investment.
What is the process through which air purifiers clean the air?
To complete its work, air purifiers employ a variety of filters, including a big washable, reusable pre-filter for large particles and a finer filter, which is typically a disposable high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter. The length of time it lasts varies, however it should be replaced every six months on average (or fewer if you use the machine less). The HEPA filter, which is capable of absorbing particles as fine as 0.3 microns – more than three times smaller than a cigarette smoke particle — captures all the microscopic airborne pollutants.
How do you calculate the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)?
The CADR strives to offer an objective measure of a portable air purifier’s ability to cope with various types of allergens. A purifier with a dust particle score of 250 is equivalent to adding 250 cubic feet of clean air per minute. Buyers should concentrate on the outcomes of the pollutant they want to eliminate, whether it’s pollen, smoke, or dust, and many manufacturers will provide CADR statistics for the most prevalent.
In general, the higher the CADR, the larger the area it can successfully purify. It’s also interesting comparing manufacturer statistics for maximum room size, as these might vary dramatically, even when the CADR doesn’t.
Can air purifiers aid with virus protection?
Over the last year, there has been a lot of discussion on whether HEPA air purifiers offer any protection against viruses, especially the Coronavirus. The solution is a little more complicated. Most viruses – and the mucus and saliva droplets that may contain them – are fully capable of filtering particles in the 20 to 500 nanometre range, which is where most viruses, including Sars-Cov-2, can be found. Furthermore, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, air purifiers can help minimise airborne pollutants, such as viruses, in a house or confined place when used appropriately.
However, there’s no way to know whether a HEPA air purifier will catch the virus before you inhale it, and there are a lot of factors to consider, such as the type of filter used, the size of the room, and the airflow. There’s also still a lot of debate over how many viruses circulate through the air or are transferred through contact with respiratory droplets. In short, an air purifier may be beneficial, but there isn’t enough evidence to support this claim.
What other aspects should I think about?
The performance of your filtration system should be your top priority. Your symptoms will only be alleviated to a noticeable level if you use an air purifier that cleans the air fast.
Another consideration is noise; you don’t want to replace one irritant (allergies) with another (the sound of a jet plane in your room). Many people are unconcerned about the hum, although certain purifiers can be quite noisy. It’s also worth noting that, while certain machines are silent on their lowest level (where they’re generally the least effective), they can be loud on their quickest setting (when they’re at their most effective).
Various speed options are available. Most air purifiers have multiple speeds, allowing you to set one for sleeping and another for when the pollen count is high. If you want a peaceful atmosphere and lesser lighting while you sleep, a night mode can help – though we discovered that it doesn’t always work as effectively as you’d want.
An air-quality sensor, which allows the machine to turn on when the air quality deteriorates, may be beneficial. After all, you can’t notice when the air quality drops due to a high pollen count, for example.
A few high-end units also function as humidifiers, regulating the amount of moisture in the air to prevent irritation of the nose, throat, lips, and skin caused by dry air.
Isn’t a carry handle a good idea? If you need to transport it from one room to another, these are useful. Wheels, a small design, and a light weight are also desirable.
Simple controls are always a benefit, and a good remote control is a must-have when utilising a purifier in a bigger space. Some purifiers include Wi-Fi connectivity and apps, allowing you to start the purifier before you arrive home from work or control it remotely.
Filter replacement indications aren’t necessary, and not all air purifiers have them, but they’re a useful feature because a clogged air purifier won’t function effectively.
Is it a good idea to purchase a timer? This is a wonderful option if you want your machine to turn on a few hours before you’ll be utilising the room or if you want it to switch off automatically.
The best air purifiers to buy
- 4 CUSTOMIZED REPLACEMENT FILTERS: Depending on different individuals' needs, we provide four types of filters for purchase: original filter, pet allergy filter, toxin absorber filter, mould & bacteria filter for choose. Note: One original filter is pre-installed in the machine
- Vortexair PURIFY TECHNOLOGY: CADR rating 187m³/h allows it to cover up to 40 m², Using the Core 300 to fill your environment with clean air. Notes: AC 220-240V/50HZ with UK 3-Pin Plug. It's NOT a wireless product and CAN'T be connected via USB
- FILTER 99.97% OF PARTICLES: Working with ultra-fine Prefilter and activated carbon filter, Our H13 HEPA filter traps 99.97% allergens like dust, pollen, mould spores, pet hair, and reduces unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes
- PATENTED QuietKEAP TECHNOLOGY: Thanks to QuietKEAP technology, the noise level is barely 24dB in Sleep Mode. The Core 300 cleans your air without disturbing you at night. Display light can be turned off to enjoy a perfect sleep without annoying light
- TIMER & 4 FAN SETTINGS: The timer can be set at 2/4/6/8 hours. You can select a desired time for auto shut-off. Choosing a suitable speed from low, medium, high and sleep mode, makes Core 300 an ideal air purifier for home, bedroom, office
- 100% Ozone Free: The UVC Light and Anion that other brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, odour and large dust particles, in addition to removing airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply. All settings can be made via the Levoit’s air purifier's elegant touch panel control panel. Effective Range: 129 ft2 / 12 m2
- Night Light & Display Off Function: Choose between 2 brightness settings at night to help you see in the evening or turn the light off entirely to create your ideal sleep environment for an undisturbed slumber
- 3 Fan Speeds: Choose from low, medium, or high fan speeds to tackle any level of air quality, making it a perfect fit in normal size rooms or office spaces
- [2 Functions in 1] Not only an air purifier but also an aroma diffuser. When you want to use the aromatherapy function, add 2-3 drops of your favourite essential oils (Not Included) to the aroma pad under the cover. Then the air cleaner will diffuse the clean air and fresh fragrances into the room
- [Dual Filter Design] The LV-H128 H13 HEPA Air Purifier contains dual filters. Both filters consist of pre-filter, H13 HEPA filter and activated carbon filter. Help to bring you more fresh air than traditional ones
- [Effectively Purify the Air] H13 HEPA filter can effectively clean at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, like smoke, odours, pollen and dust mites etc to help relieve asthma, allergy symptoms
- [Quiet Sleep Mode] In sleep mode, the noise level is as low as 28 decibels, and the sound is as soft as a whisper in a friend’s ear. And for your better sleep quality, the button light will turn off after five seconds
- [Suitable for Different Usage Scenarios] Ideal for Bedroom, Office and Small Room (Coverage area 161 sq ft²/15 m²). In high-speed mode, you can breathe fresh air in 30 minutes
- [Improved 3-Stage Filter System] While the ultra-fine Nylon Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture large particles and absorb odours and fumes, the H13 HEPA Filter captures 99.97% of airborne contaminants 0.3 microns in size, so you are safe from PM2.5, pollen, dust, pet dander and other pollutants
- [Effective Purification] With 360 ° Design and Vortexair Technology, Core 200S purifies your air 2 times per hour in-room up to 35 m² and delivers fresh air 360º around you, in every direction, no matter where you place it. Suitable for bedroom, living room, smoking room and kitchen
- [Very Easy Touch Display] With the touch display you can select 4 speed levels (sleep mode and 1-3 fan levels), set a timer for 2-4-8 hours, switch the night light and display on / off, check filter status
- [Smart Control & Access Anywhere] With the VeSync App you can change fan speed and mode, check filter life, set schedules, set timers anywhere. All from your smartphone
- [Voice Control] The Core 200S is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, so you can use your air purifier without having to lift a finger
- HEPA FILTER: The Silentnight Air Purifier removes 99% of airborne allergens as small as 0.3 microns including pollen, dust, pet dander, odours and smoke. Great gift for anyone who could do with help getting a great night's sleep and improve air quality
- THREE SPEED SETTINGS: For optimum air filtration, run your air purifier continuously on the highest setting. Its robust motor has been designed to give many years of use. For quieter operation (such as while you are sleeping) select the sleep mode
- TIMER: The timer allows you to run your air purifier at your convenience, for up to 8 hours. With four settings including 1H, 2H, 4H and 8H
- IONIZER: The Silentnight Air Purifier has an independent ioniser feature which, when turned on, releases negative ions into outgoing filtered air to help the air purification process
- QUALITY ASSURED: All Silentnight appliances have a 3 year warranty so you can purchase in confidence. HEPA filter should be replaced every 6 months and can also be purchased from (see above or search for B01LYFPVKX)
- Poor air quality affects millions of people in the UK! For example-grass pollen from pollen season, dust from outdoors, various tiny allergens, family and friends who smoke, or dander and odour from your four-legged friends. Core 300S can effectively solve the above problems. Here is why
- 【Real-time Air Quality Monitoring】 Core 300S use a laser dust sensor with higher accuracy, faster detection, and a larger particle size range (≥0.3um). Your concerned PM2.5 will be displayed on our smart VeSync APP and the air quality is prompted by the colour change of the Indicator Colour on the purifier panel
- 【Efficient 3-Stage Filter System】 The first defence primary filter can filter dust, pet fur, lint; The second defence H13 HEPA filter trap 99.97% of airborne particles such as pollen, pet dander. The last defence activated carbon stage can effectively filter out unpleasant smoke and odours. 3-Stage defences protect your each breathes
- 【Suitable for Room Size Up to 40 m²】 The effective purifier area of Core 300S can meet the needs of most families. Purify twice in one hour, and the purification area can reach 40m²/431ft² each time. 360°air intake design, all-around air purification. It's perfect for bedrooms, living rooms, and offices
- 【Free Your Hands and Enjoy Your Fresh Air】 Simply ask Alexa or Google Assistant to control the air purifier when your hands are full. The free VeSync app also allows you to customize some preset like schedules. Not sure which gear to use? Click the automatic mode, let Core 300S automatically select the most needed mode according to your air quality
- 【Ideal for Allergies and Pet Owners】: TOPPIN H13 True HEPA air purifier pet reduces pet odours, and traps pet fur and other contaminants. It also helps relieve allergies by capturing airborne contaminants such as dust, pet dander, pollen, and smoke.
- 【Compact Design Yet Powerful】With CADR rating of 100 ft³/m, and compact as 6.7 x 6.7 x 13.0 in, this air purifier for bedroom circulates air 5 times per hour in a room up to 215ft² (20m²), and it uses a 360°air intake, meaning you can place it almost anywhere in the room without compromising performance, filter more comprehensively than other square filters.
- 【3-in-1 H13 True HEPA Air Filter】The Efficient Air Filter removes up to 99.97% of all particles as small as 0.3 microns in diameter, when the nylon pre-filter and activated carbon layer filter out pollen, dust & pollutants, pets dander, pets hair, cooking & smoke odours, to keep the air clean around you and your pets.
- 【Silent Fan Operation】TOPPIN air purifiers for home Run at incredibly low noise levels (<21dB at 1-Low fan level, 30dB at 2-Medium, 45dB at 3-High), for ultra-quiet purification that you can sleep or read next to.A timer for 2/4/8 hours for your convenience.
- 【Filter Change Indicator】Automatically detects and reminds you to change the filter when the service time is less than 10% remaining (indicator in red); after replacement, press and hold the Filter button 5s until a beep is heard to reset.
- Intelligent purification – professional grade sensor automatically monitors, reacts & purifiers air
- High grade filters remove 99.5% of ultrafine particles (PM2.5), dust, pollen, allergens, gases, bacteria and viruses
- Quiet as a whisper - in sleep mode display lights are dimmed and purifier operates in near silence while you sleep
- Compact size ensures fits in every place in your home. Provides air purification for rooms up to 49m²
- 4-step colour display indicator provides visual feedback of the indoor air quality
- SUPERIOR FILTRATION SYSTEM: Equipped with 3 stage filtration system including pre-filter, H13 HEPA filter, activated carbon filter. This air purifier is perfect for people with hay fever, pets, kid family, smokers, the elders and anyone who want a better air.
- HIGH-EFFICIENCY AIR PURIFICATION: Removing 99% of pet dander, dust, pollen, mold, eliminate dust, bacteria, mold and More! Making it a perfect air purifier for home or bedroom or other middle-sized to large rooms. Air blows out 360 degrees from the top to the surroundings to promote air circulation rapidly.
- WORRY-FREE AIR QUALITY: Built with a monitor sensor, the air cleaner detects air quality level and shows the corresponding color -Blue-excellent, Green-good, Orange-moderate, Red-poor. Enjoy the fresh air all the day with your family.
- SLEEP AND RELEAX AT EASE: In sleep mode display lights are dimmed and home purifier operates in near silence while you sleep to create a quiet and comfortable environment.
- 3 FAN SPEEDS ADJUSTMENT: The home air purifier has 3 fan speeds and auto mode. Sleep mode fan speed and an adjustable night light create a peaceful sleeping or reading environment. The bedroom air filter automatically optimizes the fan speed from low, medium to high, based on the level of real-time air quality.
- Large Room Air Purifier: A Clean Air Delivery Rate of 250 m³/h sufficiently purifies large rooms up to 689ft²/64m², or intensively purifies your 31㎡ space 4x times an hour, leaving no corners untouched
- Efficient Particle Filtration and Odour Reduction: Equipped with a H13 True HEPA Filter, which captures at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, an Activated Carbon Filter for harmful odours from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and a fine pre-filter for large particles like lint and fur
- Quiet Operation and Energy Saving: The advanced fan allows air purifiers to operate at a noise level of 24dB, which is nearly silent. With only 7 watts of power in Sleep Mode, you don't have to worry about energy consumption even when running 24 hours a day
- Timer and 4 Adjustable Modes: The air purifier has 4 speed modes, including sleep mode, low, medium and high, which can be selected according to air quality and space size. You can set the air purifier to switch off automatically after 2/4/6/8 hours
- Thoughtful and Reliable: Filter change indicator, child lock, night light, auto-silent panel in sleep mode, and other thoughtful designs for your convenience. Fully CARB/UKCA/RoHS/ETL/CE certified and 100% ozone safe with no UV-C light and no negative ions
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!