Looking for the best bike rack for your car? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Don’t just throw your cherished bike in the trunk of your car the next time you want to go to the countryside or to a sporting event.
Neither your bike nor your car will appreciate it.
Rather, invest in a bike carrier that is specifically built to safely and legally transport your bike – or all of your family’s bikes – on your car.
Of course, there are several different sorts of bike carriers.
Some tie your bike to the roof, freeing up your rear-view mirror.
Others will secure your bike to the boot, allowing you to keep an eye on it and preventing it from becoming stuck beneath low bridges.
Others have the ability to tow a whole slew of motorcycles behind you.
We’ll go over the elements that will help you pick the best carrier for your bike, car, and money here.
Then we’ll show you the six bike carriers that stood out for their ease of use, security features, and overall value.
How do you pick the best bike rack for your vehicle?
Should I transport my bike on the roof, in the boot, or on the towbar?
Each strategy has its advantages and disadvantages.
Actually, each has more drawbacks than positives, so the decision boils down to whatever drawbacks are the most bothersome to you.
Let’s start with the most affordable choice.
- Bike racks that attach to the back of the vehicle
Pros: Racks that strap to your hatch or boot are simple and inexpensive, not least since they don’t require any additional gear (such as roof racks or towbars) to install.
They also allow you to see your bike or motorcycles well when driving.
Cons: While having a clear view of your bike or bikes is convenient for keeping an eye on them, you should be paying more attention to the road.
Your driving will be hampered if your rear window is obstructed by bikes.
Your number plate and even your lights may be covered by the bikes.
Then there’s the possibility of the strap-on frame and the bikes put on it damaging your car.
Any excellent bike carrier should keep your bikes away from your vehicle, but rear-mounted strap-on carriers have the most danger of scratching.
- Bike racks installed on the roof
Pros: Roof-mounted bike carriers, the next most economical alternative, are perhaps the safest because they don’t hinder your view.
You’ll also have complete access to your tailgate and boot, with no obscured plates or lights to contend with.
Roof carriers are also highly secure, despite their outward appearances, with precisely constructed mounts, straps, and ratchets to protect your bike from moving, even when you’re tearing down the highway.
Cons: Your bike will take a beating from the wind up there, resulting in higher fuel usage.
Then there’s the issue of height.
You must get the bike up and down, which might be difficult unless you are tall, and keep an eye out for car park gates.
In most situations, you’ll also need to purchase a roof rack or bars, which you can then leave on all the time to accommodate various carriers.
For a complete guide, go to Roofracks.co.uk.
- Bike racks that attach to the towbar
Advantages: If your vehicle already has a towbar, a towbar-mounted carrier is simple to install.
Platform (‘ride-on’) carriers, which hold up to four bikes by their wheels and are the strongest sort of bike carrier; and ‘hang-on’ towbar carriers, which hang bikes from their top bar and are more cheap.
Integrated number plates, lighting boards, and bike-locking features are available on many towbar carriers.
Cons: Expensive when compared to roof and rear boot carriers.
If your vehicle does not already have a towbar, you will need to purchase one and have it installed.
But it’s money well spent if you want to travel safely with your bike, or all of your family’s bikes, for years.
The best bike racks and carriers you can buy
- universal and adjustable they will fit most types of cars whether it’s a Saloon, Hatchback, Estate or 4x4
- The bike rack can carry two bikes - racing, mountain, touring or any other similar type of pedal cycle
- The bike rack will fold up flat so it’s very easy to store when it is not in use
- Light And Manageable Construction With Protective Rubber Absorbers fitted to the bike rack which helps prevention of scratching to the car and bikes
- Comes with Securing Straps
- Lifetime warranty
- Two bike capacity. Carries 2 bikes 15 kg per bike
- Fits most mountain, road, women′s and children′s bikes
- Injection moulded
- Engineered-resin construction is the strongest on the market
- BICYCLE CARRIER RACK
- CAN HOLD UPTO 3 BIKES
- WILL FIT MOST VEHICLES EXCEPT (4 X 4 WITH REAR MOUNTED SPARE WHEEL)
- EASY TO INSTALL
- MAX 40KG FOR 3 BIKES
- COMPATIBLE WITH MOST CARS: Will fit onto sedans, hatchbacks, minivans and SUVs.
- FITS THREE BIKES: Great for going on rides with friends and making memories. Maximum weight: 40kg.
- SUPERB QUALITY: Powder coated steel ensures durability for years to come.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Six tie-down straps give stability and security when in use. Soft rubber cushions help to protect the car from any scratches.
- FOLDING DESIGN: Easy to store when not in use. DIMENSIONS: 68L x 52W x 60Hcm. Note: The product does not support women's or children's bikes without a crossbar.
- Peruzzo verona 3 bike boot fitting rack
- The Verona car rack requires assembly.
- Made of steel
- Available in matt black colour
- There are 3 bike petitioners to protect your bikes from damage, and the 6 strap fastening for a secure fitment to any car
- 【EASY INSTALLATION】With quick release fastener and synthetic rubber sucker, it is easy to fix your bikes on the car roof. The weight of our bike rack is between 2.1-4.5kg, it is portable to carry and install. And there is a installation video in the Picture 7, please follow the instructions or the installation video.【ATTENTION】If the suction cups could not work normally, please notify us, we could send the replacement suction cups to you.
- 【NOT DAMAGE YOUR CAR】Synthetic rubber suckers are sucked on the car roof, will not damage to the paint and sheet metal of your car, and the maximum load capacity of each bike on the car bike rack is 20kg. This bike carrier for car make travelling with your bikes come true.
- 【STABILITY&SECURITY】The aluminum alloy body is sturdy enough to hold your bike. Vacuum pumping suction cups ensure firmness of the rack. And the crank is fixed with high-intensity hook and loop fasteners, which could prevent pedals from attriting roof of cars.
- 【COMPATIBILITY】Roof top bike rack for one, two and three bikes, are suitable for most bicycles, and could be used for all almost vehicles like sedans, coupes, hatchbacks, SUV, vans, and more. Meets your need to transport your bikes during road trips or camping excursions.
- 【LOW WIND-RESISTANCE】Cabinet and delicate rack shape could controll wind resistance, and also greatly lower the noise, let your driving environment be more comfortable. ☆☆PLEASE NOTE: This sucker bike rack is quality guaranteed, we provide after-sale warranty. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to notify us, we are fully at your service.
- [Premium Material] The bike frame is made of high-quality Q195 iron, which is sturdy and durable. The powder coating on the outer surface effectively prevents rust, chipping, and cracking, protects against rain, snow, sun, and maintains perfect performance in all weather conditions, increasing service life and improving durability. Safe to use.
- [Protect Vehicle] The rear-mounted car bike rack comes with a soft rubber pad, which can firmly fix the bike and effectively protect your car and bike from any scratches and impacts. It is very practical and can satisfy your bike trip with family and friends and make great memories.
- [Strong Carrying Capacity] The carrying capacity of the bicycle stand can reach 40kg. Its stability and safety can effectively prevent the bicycle from falling. Complete accessories, including ball clips, webbing, locks, and other accessories, can be firmly fixed to the rear of the bike. Perfect for carrying 3 race cars, mountain bikes, or touring bikes.
- [One-Step Folding Design] The car bike rack is easy to assemble when in use, and can be folded into a small size when not in use, which is convenient for storage, saves space, and can be stored in any corner of most cars or in the trunk. A must-have for car lovers.
- [Wide Application] The bike tow bar carrier has high compatibility. The support arm can be adjusted to a suitable position, making it suitable for various vehicle types. It can be installed on most cars, including sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs.
- Three Bike transport mount. Made from a metal structure, and supports up to 50kg
- Soft rubber cradles to securely hold the bike without damaging your car. 6 safety strap attachment with cam-lock buckles for extreme stability
- Can fit 2-7cm bicycle tubing frame and mount most cars, like SUV, MPV, Hatchback, etc
- Easy storage with folding design when not in use
- Overall Dimensions: 75L x 50W x 10H (cm). Easy installation within minutes
- Suitable for carrying 3 bicycles, Max load: 45kg. NOTE: Included 13PIN ports, 7PIN transport port isn't included.
- Sturdy material for tire rack
- Adjustable wheel chocks for different types of tires
- High quality taillight ensures a safe distance
- Your carry paint can remain untouched with the carrier
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!