Looking to buy the best Bird Cage? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the right one for you.
Cockatoo. Canary. Finch. Budgie. Your feathered companion is a family member. After clean water, a species-appropriate diet, and your love and care, the most crucial thing you can give your bird is a safe haven. Every pet bird requires a safe haven where they can feel safe – and where you can be sure they won’t get into any mischief. A bird cage is required for almost every bird owner.
It’s critical to choose the correct cage for your bird’s health. A bird cage must satisfy its inhabitant’s demands and match your criteria for space, appearance, and ease of maintenance unless you intend to use it solely for decoration and not to keep a pet.
It might be tough to choose a bird cage because there are so many different sizes, dimensions, and styles available in a typical pet store. Fortunately, we’re here to assist you.
One of the most prevalent causes of bird behavioural or health issues is a cage that is too tiny. Your bird will require a large amount of space to roam around, stretch, and play.
Bird cages come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
There are many different types of bird cages on the market, but the most of them fit into one of the four categories below.
Traditional bird cages
When you think of a bird cage, this is usually what comes to mind. Classic bird cage sizes range from short and wide to tall and narrow, and are generally rectangular. These cages are often smaller than flight cages.
Bird cages with a dome on top
These cages are similar to flight or traditional cages, except instead of a flat roof, they have a top dome. This provides your bird more room to move around, and it’s also a little more appealing.
Aviaries, often known as flight cages, are enormous cages that allow larger birds to move about freely and flap their wings. Even little birds, though, require space to exercise. This is a nice cage style for most pet birds if you have enough space.
Bird cages for children to play with
A playtop cage is an excellent method to give your bird some independence outside of his cage. On top of these bird cages is a “playground.” One or more perches, as well as food and water bowls, are usually seen on the playground. A playtop cage can be pleasant for both of you if you trust your bird not to try to escape.
Dimensions of the cage and available bar space
The size of the cage and the spacing between the bars are the two most crucial considerations when selecting the correct cage for your pet bird.
Whatever type of pet bird you have, he should be able to completely open his wings, move around both horizontally and vertically, and stretch out his tail and any head feathers without being restrained inside his cage.
Dimensions of the cage
For a bird, a cage that is too small is quite stressful. It can cause unpleasant behaviours including shrieking, plucking feathers, biting, or refusing to eat. The bigger the bird, the bigger the cage should be. In reality, there is no such thing as a too-large cage for your bird, so go ahead and get the largest cage that fits your room.
The gap between cage bars is referred to as “bar space.” Birds are amazing escape artists and can squeeze through remarkably tight areas. It is critical that you select a bird cage with bars that are properly spaced for your pet. Otherwise, if their head or foot gets caught between the bars, they risk escaping or injuring themselves.
Birds that are small
Finches, lovebirds, and canaries thrive in cages that are at least 60 centimetres wide, 60 centimetres deep, and 60 centimetres high. This allows them to roam around freely, flitting from perch to perch and spreading their wings. The distance between the bars should be between 6mm and 12mm.
Birds of a medium size
Medium-sized birds, such as conures, cockatiels, and Senegal parrots, thrive in cages that are at least 60 centimetres wide, 60 centimetres deep, and 90 centimetres tall. The distance between the bars should be no greater than 12mm.
Medium-sized birds, such as caiques and red-fronted parrots, require the same minimum cage size as small birds. The bars can, however, be spaced significantly more apart; a gap of 16mm to 19mm is often considered suitable.
A flock of large birds
To stay happy and healthy, the largest pet birds, such as macaws, African greys, and cockatoos, require comparably huge cages. These birds require a cage that is 90 centimetres wide, 90 centimetres deep, and 122 centimetres high at the very least. To avoid escape or damage, these large birds require bars that are no more than 25mm to 38mm apart.
Many birds, particularly macaws and cockatoos, enjoy climbing up and down the bars of their cages, so for these large birds, choose a cage with horizontal – not vertical – bars.
Other factors to consider
There are other characteristics to consider before choosing your feathery friend’s new home once you’ve settled on a basic style and size.
A welded stainless steel bird cage can withstand all of your bird’s abuse, including chewing, pecking, fluttering, and other normal bird behaviours. Avoid using plastic or wooden cages since many birds can eat or peck through them.
Feeder doors make it simple to deliver clean water and fresh food to your pet.
Because many birds can pick their cage lock, a strong latch that is beyond your bird’s capacity to open is essential. The latch could be a tension pole, a sliding bar, or a hinge lock, depending on the cage. If your bird is very cunning, you may wish to put a second lock to the door.
The cage access door should be spacious enough for your entire arm to pass through — after all, you’ll be reaching inside the cage to clean it – and comfortable enough for your bird to pass through without squeezing, catching feathers, or bumping a flapping wing.
Litter tray that slides out
For easy cleaning, almost every cage now has a slide-out litter pan; don’t even consider a cage without one.
Birds are messy eaters, so a seed guard in the cage is a good idea. Seeds, fruit, shed feathers, and bird droppings are kept inside the cage and off your floor or surrounding wall with these plastic shields.
Every bird need at least one perch, while two or more is preferable. Natural wood or little branches are ideal since they allow your bird’s feet to roam freely.
Dishes for food and water
Food and water bowls or trays are commonly found in cages. If you have a parrot or other large bird, these should be tough enough to endure eating and pecking. Large birds should use stainless steel or ceramic, but smaller pets can use plastic.
Keeping your bird cage clean
Both your feathery family member and their cage require regular attention to keep them happy.
Clean and refill all food and water bowls on a daily basis. Change the substrate or paper flooring if there are any droppings on the cage or its accessories.
Remove the entire litter tray and grate on a weekly basis and clean it with soap and water or bird cage cleaning. Also, clean your bird’s perches and toys.
The entire cage must be cleaned once a month. While you clean the primary cage with soap and water or a commercial cage cleaner, let your bird enjoy their playground or a backup cage. Remove any particularly stubborn or dried droppings with a scrub brush, making sure to completely clean the cage’s edges and corners. Before returning your bird to his habitat, let it to completely dry.
Prices of bird cages
When it comes to choosing a bird cage, you’ll find a vast selection of sizes, styles, and forms, as well as a wide range of prices.
While small bird cages under £40 are available, they are typically lightweight and insufficient for most birds larger than a sparrow to flit around, extend their wings, and go from perch to perch. Cheap cages are fine for travel or temporarily housing your bird while you clean his primary cage, but they aren’t usually durable enough for daily usage.
From £60 to £100
For £60 to £100, you can get a good basic cage for small or medium birds. Be prepared to spend more if you want a bird cage with a playtop or dome.
More than £100
A good-quality large bird cage will set you back more than £100. It’s not uncommon to see cages for sale for several hundred dollars. You’ll get a huge, solid cage with an equally sturdy stand, all the features that will make you and your bird happy, plus a beautiful accessory bundle at the top of the price range.
There are several powder-coated steel bird cages in a variety of colours available, so you can select one to match your home’s décor if desired.
Q. What kinds of toys should I get for my bird?
A. Toys are enjoyed by most birds in their cages. Mirrors, bells, chewing blocks, swings, and rope toys all keep your feathered companion entertained for hours.
Q. Where should my bird cage be placed?
A. Because birds are fragile creatures, the location of the cage is critical. Avoid draughty spaces, areas too close to the kitchen or any other site prone to gas or chemical odours, and any other household pets that can irritate your bird. In most cases, a place in the living or family room will suffice.
Q. Does it make a difference what kind of cage I get?
A. Cages come in a variety of shapes, including square, rectangular, round, and pagoda-style designs. While various angles in the cage provide your bird with a choice of hiding spots when he feels threatened, keep in mind that the more angles there are, the more difficult it is to clean the cage.
Round cages, according to some bird experts, are not truly suited because they don’t provide the bird with a reference point for location or a sense of security, which might lead to psychological suffering. A rectangular cage is, for the most part, the easiest to clean and purchase accessories for, and many people believe it keeps birds the happiest.
Best Bird Cages To Buy
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Robin Williams, Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest (Actors)
- Mike Nichols (Director)
- (Playback Language)
- Audience Rating: Suitable for 15 years and over
- Color: hammered black; Material: steel, plastic; Bar Spacing: 1cm; Overall dimension: 62 x 43 x 136 cm (LxWxH); Cage: 61.5 x 42.5 x 83.5 cm (LxWxH); Package includes: 1 parrot cage with stand, 2 perches, 4 feeding bowls, accessory kit
- Large parrot cage: Spacious cage able to house several small birds comfortably, suitable for families with more than one small/medium birds; also can be a sweet home for sugar gliders, chinchilla and other small animals
- Solid construction: Our large bird cage is crafted out of premium metal covered with harmless hammertone paint. 2mm/ 0.08’’ thick metal wires can withstand your naughty pets’ bites. Excellent water resistance make this parrot cage a durable and safe pet cage with high quality.
- Safe & Secure: 1 cm/ 0.4’’ bar spacing makes sure your small pets cannot squeeze out of the cage, which is suitable and safe for pets in different sizes. Front door is secured with crescent lock, which can prevent your smart birdies from opening the doors and keep them safe in the cage when you are not around. Special arc-shaped wire on each small door is for locking purpose, making the door impossible for birds to lift.
- Convenient moving: Due to its large size, it may take a little effort to move this cage. However, our parrot cage comes with a stand that sits on four 360° swivel smooth rolling casters, which can perfectly solve this problem. Detachable mobile stand can be easily removed if needed. Besides, you can even attach the casters to bottom of the cage directly to make the cage mobile without a stand.
- Large space, simple and thoughtful design makes this bird cage a perfect choice for home, pet stores and pet hospitals
- Thanks to the lockable feeder doors, feeders are accessible without opening the main door so that you can remove the feeders and replenish the feed from the outside and don’t need to risk your bird escaping.
- 7 small doors (3 on the side, 4 on the front) are prepared for assembling feeders (included)
- Slide-out tray and detachable mesh grate can be removed for easy cleaning
- Big cage for small birds: Measuring L46cm x W35.5cm x H99cm/ L18” x W14” x H39” and 1.3cm/0.5” in bar spacing, this birdcage offers a large enclosed living/playing space with a decent bar spacing that’s just right for small birds like budgies, canaries, lovebirds and finches.
- Cage for exotic birds and canaries made of sturdy painted metal with rigid plastic base
- Convenient removable tray for dirt collection, easy cleaning and maintenance
- Equipped with practical handle on the roof and cage access door
- Complete with drinking bottle, vegetable nipper, mash feeder for birds, perches and swing
- Includes two Brava 2 revolving feeders made of transparent plastic: designed to be rotated 180 Degree and filled from the outside, leaving no opening from which the bird can escape
- SPACIOUS CAGE & UNIVERSAL DESIGN: H80cm x L50cm x W50cm/ H31.5’’ x L19.7’’ x W19.7’’ Large bird cage features with 1.7 cm / 0.67’’ bar spacing to keep your birds safe in the cage; a H37.5 x W24 cm / H14.8 x W9.4’’ side-opening door convenient for medium and small size birds like budgerigars, lovebirds, cockatiels, monk parakeets and golden parakeets to use
- SAFE & SECURE: Each door features a hook lock to prevent birds from opening the door; fully painted cage with smooth and glossy surface; polished wooden perches and non-toxic stainless steel feeders offer your lovely birds a safe and healthy living environment
- STYLISH & PRACTICAL: This European style bird cage is built in an arc top and hollow out S shape legs, add a sense of elegance and grace to your room; durable and sturdy cage is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, a great pet accessory for families, pet shops and pet hospitals
- EASY CLEANING: Slide-out trays and detachable mesh panel under the cage can be removed for easy cleaning; mesh panels between birds and the trays can prevent your birds walking/laying directly on the trays, which ensures your pets’ hygiene and the tidiness of the cage
- 4 heavy duty PVC wheels,2 w/ brakes for safety stability, a slide-out plastic tray for easy cleaning
- The best care for your pet: product specially designed to care for pets.
- IMAC Leading Brand: The Italian brand has been leading in Europe for nearly 50 years. With over 7,000 items for dogs, cats, rodents, rabbits, birds, reptiles and fish.
- Innovation for all pets: iMac products are synonymous with innovation among accessories for pets.
- Overall Dimension: 40 x 40 x 58 cm/ 15.7 x 15.7 x 22.8’’ (LxWxH); Large Entrance Size: 27.7 x 30.2 cm/ 10.9 x 11.9’’ (WxH); Open Top Size: 28.5 x 25 cm/ 11.2 x 9.8’’ (LxW); Bar Spacing: 1.5 cm / 0.6’’
- 【Open Play Top】The cage top can be opened widely for birdies to play and rest outside the cage. A perch can be attached to the door panels on the top. This special design provides a better interaction opportunity between you and your pet birds.
- 【Safe & Secure】The entrances are firmly locked by latches, which can effectively prevent your smart birdies from opening the doors to keep them safe in the cage when you are not around. 1.5 cm/0.6’’ bar spacing is suitable for small birds to use.
- 【Thoughtful Designs】Two hanging rods are included to hold the large entrance door panel when it is opened. With small feeder doors, bird raisers are accessible without needing to open the main door so that they can replenish the feed from outside without worrying about birds escaping.
- 【Durable】Our birdcage is crafted out of powder-coated premium metal. The welded frame adding excellent water resistance make this parrot cage a durable and safe sweet home. 3 solid wood perches are prepared for your birds to rest.
- EXTRA LARGE PET CAGE: W81 x D46.5 x H175cm pet cage is able to house several small pets at the same time. 3 tiers are connected with ladders, expanding the usable area vertically and offering more spaces for pets to climb and explore.
- WORRY-FREE ASSEMBLY: Simple assembly is required to set up this bird cage. The cage comes with all necessary hardware, detailed instructions and an Allen key to help assemble easily and quickly.
- EASY CLEANING: Double door design makes it easy to access and clean the cage with cleaning tools. A slid e-out tray under the cage can be removed and cleaned with water. A grate between pets and the tray can avoid your pets walking/laying directly on their droppings, which ensures your pets’ hygiene and the tidiness of the cage.
- SAFE & SECURE: Two 53.5 x 25 cm front doors are secured with crescent locks, which can prevent your smart birdies from opening the doors and keep them safe in the cage when you are not around. Special arc-shaped wire on each small door is served as a lock, making the door impossible for pets to lift. 0.4’’ bar spacing is suitable for pets in different sizes.
- Overall Dimension: 81 x 46.5 x 175.5 cm/ 31.9 x 18.3 x 69’’ (WxDxH); Cage Size: 77 x 46 x 130 cm/ 30.3 x 18.1 x 51.2’’ (WxDxH); Bar Spacing: 1 cm/ 0.4’’
- Spacious & Comfy: Measuring 46cm/18’’ long by 35.5cm/14’’ wide by 92.5cm/36.5’’ high, this roomy bird home can easily accommodate 2-3 small/medium birds, and the 1cm/0.4inch bar spacing is safe and decent for them to live and have fun. Perfect for small to medium size birds like canaries, cockatiels, monk parakeets and golden parakeets.
- Open top design: To keep your bird stimulated, the roof of our hanging birdcage can be opened and locked up at will. It includes a perch that keeps the top doors open for the birds to stand on and can be closed to give them a safe enclosed home.
- Pet-parent friendly: You can easily lift and move the cage by holding the two handles on top. Each front door has two small entrances, which are specially designed for your little friends. On the side panels feature 4 feeding doors for easy seed and water refilling.
- Solid construction: Crafted from quality metal wires covered with non-toxic rust-resistant paint, our bird cage is a strong metal structure with an easy-to-clean plastic base, and the sanded wooden perches are safe for the bird’s claws.
- Easy cleaning: With the waterproof finished metal cage and the bottom slide-out tray, cleaning the cage would be a breeze for pet parents. The fence at the bottom prevents birds from walking in its excrement.
- Genuine Heritage Pet Products Trademarked Brand
- Large Heavy Duty Cage Suitable For A Variety of Birds
- Elegant Design Ideal For Medium Sized Birds with Removable cleaning Tray
- Powder Coated Finish
- Includes 2 perches and 2 feeding bowls
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!