Looking for the best bread maker? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Imagine a freshly cooked loaf of bread when you close your eyes.
The golden crust, the warm dough, and the delectable aroma drifting through the house
One of life’s greatest and simplest pleasures is waking up to a freshly baked loaf of bread, yet few of us get to do so on a regular basis.
One drastic solution to that problem is to start a new life as a neighbourhood baker, but there is a far easier way: get a bread machine.
While some bread machines are only meant to do the basic minimum, more advanced versions let you experiment with gluten-free, sourdough, wholemeal, and rye loaves, bread stuffed with nuts and fruit, and even cakes in some circumstances.
Basic models start at roughly £50 and go up to several hundred pounds for the more expensive models.
How do you pick the best bread machine for you?
What is the best way to use a bread maker?
The baking process will be similar regardless of which bread maker you use.
Fill the bread pan with the ingredients, place it in the bread machine, and select the appropriate programme, such as white or wholemeal.
The baking process will take anywhere from three to five hours, depending on the model; after completed, place the loaf on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into it (otherwise it will collapse).
All bread machines allow you to set a time delay, so you may prepare your ingredients the night before and then decide how long you want your loaf to bake (usually to the nearest ten minutes).
Put the ingredients in the pan at 11 p.m., set the timer for eight hours, and your loaf will be done at 7 a.m.
The components for a loaf of bread vary depending on the bread maker, but they often include flour, salt, sugar, oil or butter, water, bread-machine yeast, and skimmed milk powder.
All of these ingredients are widely available at supermarkets.
Only a small percentage of breadmakers require vitamin C tablets, which you’ll almost certainly have to acquire online.
Keep in mind that making bread will necessitate the purchase of special “strong” flour.
For white loaves, supermarket own-brand strong flour is good, but you may need to use more expensive branded “very strong” flour from some bread manufacturers to achieve a great wholemeal loaf.
Our reviews state whether or not a very strong flour is required.
Which additional ingredients should I think about?
Consider whether you want to bake specialty loaves, such as raisin or sultana breads, before you buy, as some bread machines make this easier than others.
The additional ingredients for such loaves must be added after the baking cycle has begun.
When you need to pour in your raisins, some bread makers will stop and beep, but you must be there at the proper time.
The more expensive ones come with an automatic dispenser that you may fill up before you start baking.
This will then add the ingredients at the appropriate time in the cycle, ensuring a flawless fruit loaf.
You’ll love having an automatic dispenser if you’re going to be making such loaves on a regular basis.
Is it possible to customise my baked goods?
You may customise the texture of your loaf by adjusting the proportions of the ingredients, but the most sophisticated bread machines go much farther by allowing you to create unique baking programmes.
You can determine how long each stage of the baking cycle should take, from resting to kneading to rising and baking, if your bread machine has this capability.
These programmes can then be saved as a preset.
Some machines have five presets, while others have nine.
Look for a bread maker that allows you to play around with the built-in recipes if you’re serious about baking and want to fine-tune each recipe to perfection.
The best bread makers to buy
- 12 functions- You can create many varieties of bread including a basic white loaf, French bread, whole wheat bread, pizza dough or brioche. This bread maker also has a function for making delicious cakes and jams too.
- Delay & Keep Warm Function- The Swan bread maker has a variety of useful functions. The delay function has a 13-hour delay timer, which means you can bake safely overnight, fast bake allows you to bake in under an hour and it can also be set to keep bread warm for 1 hour, providing warm bread for you to enjoy when you fancy.
- Crust Control- This bread maker hasn’t left anything to chance and even features a crust control function allowing you to select from 3 settings so you can make crusts just the way you like them.
- LCD Display- The automatic and easy to use LCD display makes this bread maker perfect for beginners. It is simple to use and takes the hassle out of making bread. Perfect as a gift for bread lovers, friends and family or as a house-warming gift.
- Non-stick pan- Features a non-stick bread pan that can be removed and makes light work of cleaning up after a good baking session. A viewing window on the lid provides you with a clear view of the loaf without having to open the lid and disrupting the baking process.
- 12 functions including: French, Gluten Free, Jam, Whole Wheat
- 55 minute fast bake
- 13 hr delay bake timer
- 3 crust options
- Dishwasher safe non-stick pan & kneading blades
- 12 programs from basic Ecru (Light beige) to cakes, jam and dough. Fruit and Nut Dispenser : No
- 2 Loaf sizes - bakes 1 lb, 1.5 lb, 2 lb loaves and 3 crust settings
- Instruction manual contains gluten free recipes
- Fastbake - bake a loaf in under 50 minutes
- 13 hour delay timer for over night baking
- Optimal Design - The horizontal design is optimised to take up minimal space on your kitchen worktop allowing more room for a working area. The sleek space saving design features a flush lid reducing the overall height perfect for any kitchen.
- Manual Setting Modes - You can set the time needed for cake kneading, bread kneading and fermentation and let the breadmaker do the troublesome dough making for you.
- Bread Mixes with Yeast - Easily bake bread by simply using a bread mix with yeast by just adding water and pressing button to start the specially designed programme. Bread baking has never been easier.
- 32 Automatic Programmes - Packed with a selection of pre-set programs there are endless options for a variety of different loaves from White, to Wholemeal, Gluten Free and so much more.
- Yeast Dispenser - The intelligent yeast dispenser unique to the Panasonic breadmaker automatically adds the yeast to the baking pan at exactly the right moment during the mixing cycle.
- The horizontal design is optimised to take up minimal space on your kitchen worktop allowing more room for a working area. The sleek space saving design features a new flush lid reducing the overall height perfect for any kitchen.
- Enjoy making a variety of bread and cake recipes at home with the manual time setting modes. You can set the time needed for cake kneading, bread kneading and fermentation and let the breadmaker do the troublesome dough making for you. There is no need to wait for ingredients such as butter to reach room temperature as it is heated during the mixing period and tiresome and time consuming kneading is also removed with. As less baking tools are needed there is an added bonus of less cleaning required.
- Easily bake bread by simply using a bread mix with yeast by just adding water and pressing button to start the specially designed programme. Bread baking has never been easier.
- 31 Automatic Programmes - 13 Bread, 4 Gluten Free, 7 Dough, 4 Sweet, 3 Manual - Packed with a selection of pre-set programs there are endless options for a variety of different loaves from White, to Wholemeal, Gluten Free and so much more. There is no need to worry about kneading, resting, rising and baking times the beadmaker automatically does it all for you. It doesn’t stop there with programmes for doughs, pasta, jam and chutney you are all set!
- The intelligent yeast dispenser unique to the Panasonic breadmaker automatically adds the yeast to the baking pan at exactly the right moment during the mixing cycle, avoiding the yeast from touching any liquids and ensuring your bread rises as it should for that perfect loaf.
- 🍞【17 Automatic Programs & 2 Pounds Large Capacity & 2 Custom Modes】EONBON Breadmaker has 17 customized programs loved by over 1 million, to choose from (Gluten Free, French, Whole Wheat, Pizza dough kneading, Fermentation, Jam, Yogurt, Cake, etc). Bead maker automatically kneads, rises and bakes. It has 3 crust options for light, medium, dark, 3 loaf sizes from l/1.5/2 lb. 2 personalized programmable programs, you can set the fermentation and baking time according to your own needs.
- 🍓【Intelligent Fruit and Nut Dispenser & Unique Nonstick Ceramic Pan】Stainless steel breadmaker with automatic Fruit/Nut Dispenser releases the ingredients at the optimum time, ensuring evenly distributed throughout the loaf. The healthy premium Ceramic Pan comes with 5 layers of protection,is easy to take out & clean, designed to make the bread evenly baked, chemical free and healthier. EONBON bread maker machine is the perfect gift for health-conscious families, friends.
- ⏰【710W + 360° Upgrade Dual Heaters Fastbake & 15H Extra Long Timer & 1H Keep Warm】Engineered with upper and lower dual efficient heaters, 360° precision baking technology, and 710 watts high power output, Eonbon Bread Machine bakes a loaf in under 90 minutes, the loaf is soft and elastic with an even color, preventing the loss of nutrients. 15-hour Delay Timer, 1-Hour Automatic Keep Warm, 15-minute Power Interruption Recovery allow for fresh bread anytime.
- 🔇【Advance Digital Touch Panel View Window & Sleek Stainless Steel Shell & Superior Quiet Design】Intuitive Digital light LCD Touch Panel more easier to operate, clearly reflects the working status, large view window offers a full view of the process. Smooth Stainless steel inner&outer structure for long-lasting durability,rust-proof,anti-corrosion.The horizontal compact bread maker doesn’t take up much space. Improved mute system without disturbing sleep, saving time, saving space, saving money.
- 💖【4-Year Super Long Warranty & 7 Deluxe Accessories Included & British Recipes】The bread machine maker comes with Ceramic Pan, Oven Mitt, Measuring Cup, Multiple helpful recipes, and Other Versatile Practical Accessories. EONBON Bread Maker is certified by CE, EMC, GS. 4-Year Warranty&30-Day Money-Back Guarantee for Any Reason, products can be replaced within 1 year for ANY reason. Our friendly and responsible customer service team will offer 24/7 Professional Technical Support.
- Enhanced Design - The Enhanced horizontal design is optimised to take up minimal space on your kitchen worktop allowing more room for a working area. The sleek space saving design features a Enhanced flush lid reducing the overall height ideal for any kitchen.
- Enhanced Manual Setting Modes - Enjoy making a variety of bread and cake recipes at home with the manual time setting modes. You can set the time needed for cake kneading, bread kneading and fermentation and let the breadmaker do the troublesome dough making for you. There is no need to wait for ingredients such as butter to reach room temperature as it is heated during the mixing period and tiresome and time consuming kneading is also removed with. As less baking tools are needed there is an added bonus of less cleaning required
- Enhanced Bread Mixes with Yeast - Easily bake bread by simply using a bread mix with yeast by just adding water and pressing button to start the specially designed programme. Bread baking has never been easier
- 30 Automatic Programmes. 12 Bread, 4 Gluten Free , 7 Dough, 4 Sweet , 3 Manual - Packed with a selection of pre-set programs there are endless options for a variety of different loaves from White, to Wholemeal, Gluten Free and so much more. There is no need to worry about kneading, resting, rising and baking times the beadmaker automatically does it all for you. It doesn’t stop there with programmes for doughs, pasta, jam and chutney you are all set
- Raisin/Nut Dispenser - The automatic raisin/nut dispenser mixes additional ingredients such as nuts, seeds, olives, dried fruit, chopped cured meets and more at just the right time to help ensure they are evenly distributed throughout the loaf. They are placed in the tray in the lid and after the mixing stage they are incorporated into the dough at just the optimum time
- 27 Bake and Dough Modes, Digital Timer (up to 13 hours)
- Raisin/Nut Dispenser - mixes additional ingredients in at just the right time to help ensure they are evenly distributed throughout the loaf
- Yeast Dispenser - unique to the Panasonic Breadmaker, dropping yeast automatically at just the right time to ensure your bread rises as it should for that fluffy or dense loaf
- Loaf Size & Darkness Options - Making the perfect bread couldn't be simpler, with the options of choosing the size of your loaf you would like. It is even possible to determine how light or dark you prefer your loaf by selecting the desired browning level
- Diamond-Fluro-Coated Bread Pan - No more sticky pans and scratchproof!
- 12 PROGRAMS: Bake a delicious variety of breads including mixed grain, wholemeal and French white to your own taste. This versatile kitchen appliance is suitable for gluten free bread and allows you to bake your favourite cake
- 60 MIN FAST BAKE: Short on time? Quickly bake some fresh bread in 60 minutes with the ultra-fast function - ideal for a last-minute gathering with the family and will leave your home smelling deliciously fresh
- ADJUSTABLE CRUST CONTROL: Perfect your bake by customising your choice of crust, with optional light, medium or dark settings
- KEEP WARM FUNCTION: Ensures your bread is kept at a consistent temperature for up to 60 minutes, so it’s fresh and ready to eat when you want it
- LARGE VIEWING WINDOW: You can keep an eye on your loaf using the large viewing window, so there’s no need to disturb the baking process, ensuring a well-rounded evenly cooked loaf
- Prepare all kinds of fresh breads, doughs, brioches and sweat treats: There are 15 programmes to choose from, including a whole wheat, cake and gluten free programme. Prepare corn bread, banana bread, gluten free bread as well as yogurt, porridge and jam. Ideal for people special diets, intolerances and allergies
- 3 browning settings and 2 loaf sizes: Choose between the 3 browning settings to bake a bread that the whole family will love. There are two loaf size options, with the maximum allowing up to 900 g and 14 slices of bread. With automatic ingredient dispenser you can add nuts, seeds, raisins or chocolate chips at the ideal time which ensures an even and smooth distribution of the ingredients
- Delayed timer function: Thanks to the delayed timer function of up to 13 hours and keep warm function you can program your bread maker to make fresh bread at any time of the day or night. Using the digital timer you can set the bread maker to come on during the night while you sleep so you can enjoy fresh warm bread for breakfast
- Non-stick and heat resistant housing: The non-stick coating of the inner baking tin means this bread can be easily removed from the bread maker when done, and ensures that the tin is easy to clean. Also equipped with heat resistant exterior, overheat protection and non-slip base
- Accessories included: All the accessories needed to make delicious breads are included: non-stick mold, kneading paddle, measuring spoon and glass, extractor hook and instruction manual. This includes all the information you need if you are new to the bread maker
Bread Maker FAQS
Is a bread machine worth buying?
Yes. The cost savings mount up if you bake your own bread on a regular basis. It also provides you with the convenience of freshly made breads as well as the ability to create a range of breads that your local grocery store may not carry.
What can a bread machine do?
Many bread machines have settings for basic white bread, whole wheat bread, gluten free bread, rapid rise bread, jam and jelly bread, and dough settings for anything from bread dough to pie dough and cookies, as well as different bread crust finishes.
Do you need a bread machine to make bread?
No. However, because it meticulously regulates the entire process from mixing to kneading to rising to baking, a bread machine makes the procedure easier and produces superior results. You simply set it and forget about it till the timer goes off.
How long does homemade bread last?
That depends on the sort of bread, how it’s packaged, and how long it’s kept. Because there are no artificial preservatives in homemade bread, it’s preferable to consume it within 3 to 4 days. You may always keep it in the fridge to extend the time.
Is it more cost-effective to make your own bread?
Ingredient expenses, labour costs, equipment costs, business expenditures such as insurance and utilities, packaging, shipping, distribution, and trade negotiations are all factored into the price of bread from a bakery or grocery store. Many of these expenditures are eliminated when you make your own.
What makes handmade bread so delicious?
The majority of homemade foods taste better than store-bought items. You are also creating and baking your own bread. It fills your house with the aroma of freshly baked bread while it bakes, and fresh baked bread always tastes better.
Why does handmade bread have a distinct flavour?
Freshness is the difference you can taste. The crust of homemade breads is usually crisp and delicious.
Is handmade bread better for you than store-bought bread?
Yes, in most cases. Artificial preservatives, food colouring, or other shortcuts like high fructose corn syrup are not used in homemade loaves. The simplest way to think about it is that your handmade bread is only as healthy as the ingredients you use.
What factors should I consider before purchasing a bread maker?
It depends on the size of your family, how much you want to do, and how you like your bread to be shaped. Most bread machines produce vertical loaves, while others produce horizontal loaves. To assist you, we offer various evaluations on our website as well as an essay on how to choose a bread maker.
What does a bread maker do?
From start to end, a bread machine mixes, kneads, rises, and bakes your ingredients. The equipment is programmed to maintain consistent temperatures throughout the operation, allowing the bread to rise and get the desired crust colour.
Do bread machines actually bake the bread?
Yes, despite the fact that almost all machines provide a dough option. The dough cycle begins by mixing, kneading, and raising the dough before shutting off. This allows you to extract the dough and bake the bread in any shape you choose in the oven.
Should the butter for the bread machine be melted?
Unless the recipe specifies otherwise, it’s usually not necessary. The traditional method is to place the butter pat, cut into four equal pieces, on top of the flour in the bread pan’s corners. There’s no need to melt anything.
Is it ok to leave bread in the bread machine overnight?
Yes. Many bread machines, in fact, feature a delayed cycle that allows you to enter your ingredients and have it mix, knead, raise, and bake your bread in the middle of the night so it’s nice and fresh when you wake up.
Why is my bread machine’s bread so dense?
Some flours cause bread to be dense. It’s also possible that it’s a yeast issue. Keep all yeast refrigerated until ready to use. Yeast from a bread maker is also beneficial. The rise is better with bread flour. Also, make sure the bread pan is filled with boiling water.
Is baking bread in a bread maker better than baking bread in the oven?
Both yes and no. It is dependent on your way of life. A bread machine is simple to use and makes very little mess. It also produces superb bread and ensures results. Baked bread has the same effect. It’s all a matter of personal preference and availability.
Is it true that shortening makes bread softer?
Not at all. It may aid the texture a little, but butter does the same thing and can also produce a lighter, softer texture. Shortening, on the other hand, is a trans fat that has the most LDL, or bad cholesterol. Instead, use butter.
What’s the best way to make bread fluffier?
The simplest method is to use milk instead of water. You might also add another 12 teaspoon of yeast to the mix. However, don’t use too much yeast. Your dough will bubble if you add too much yeast, and the machine will bake it onto the cover.
Is it possible to remove the paddle from the bread machine?
Yes, and it’s a good idea to doso for cleaning. However, many people claim that their bread machine’s paddle is stuck. If this happens, immerse the bread pan in water for an hour and clean while turning the paddle.
Why isn’t my bread fluffy and soft?
Some flours, once again, do not result in a soft and fluffy bread. This is particularly true when it comes to gluten-free flours. Use milk instead of water, fresh yeast, and bread flour instead of all-purpose flour as a general treatment.
Do I need to grease my machine’s paddle?
No, in most cases. Use vegetable oil or any other edible oil if your manufacturer recommends it in your instruction book. Neither motor oil nor any other petroleum-based oil.
My dough was rising nicely when I glanced at it, but by the time it was done, it had collapsed. Why?
During the bread-making process, never lift the cover of your machine. The lid of most machines has a window. If you have to peek, use a flashlight to peep through the lid.
My machine has a fruit and nut hopper, however the fruits often get trapped in there. What options do I have?
This is a regular occurrence, particularly with sticky foods such as raisins. Before putting the fruits in the hopper, toss them in flour and dust them.
Can I use baking powder instead of yeast?
No. The components and amounts of yeast breads are specific. Baking powder breads, often known as batter breads, have a completely distinct combination of ingredients and amounts. In a yeast bread recipe, baking powder will not work as a substitute for yeast.
Why do some recipes call for a quarter teaspoon of salt if you’ll never taste it?
It has nothing to do with your sense of taste. Salt regulates yeast growth, allowing the bread to rise at a consistent rate. Without it, the yeast may become uncontrollable.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!