TVs with 65″ or larger displays are typically very expensive, which isn’t surprising considering that they are primarily aimed at a very specific market. In the event that you are considering purchasing one for your home entertainment setup but have a limited budget, you might want to consider purchasing a home theatre projector instead.
Improved image resolution, brighter colours, higher brightness levels, and a significantly higher contrast ratio are all features of newer models. The most advantageous aspect of purchasing a projector is that you can obtain a large image without spending a fortune. In addition, you can take it with you pretty much anywhere you go!
It is possible to find hundreds of projectors in the entry-level and midrange price ranges, and we have reviewed the top eight best budget projectors currently available on the market in this article. While you shouldn’t expect such low-cost projectors to perform on a par with more expensive models, they do provide a respectable theater-like experience in their own right.
Because there are so many affordable projectors available on the market, it’s easy to become overwhelmed when deciding which one to purchase. We looked through dozens of them and selected eight of the best budget projectors available in the United Kingdom. You can learn more about each of the options we’ve chosen in the section below by looking through them.
The Best Budget Projectors in the UK
- 🪐 [Latest Bi-Directional Bluetooth 5.0 & 5G/2.4G Ultra Low Delay WIFI] YABER V10 1080P projector built-in the latest bidirectional Bluetooth 5.1 chip and stereo surround speaker, which not only can connect your Bluetooth speakers wirelessly but also can be connected to the mobile phone as a speaker at any time freely. With ultra fast &stable 5G WIF, V10 can mirror videos/photos/games from smartphone or other devices to the big screen freely.
- 🪐 [Emerald LENS &Real 1080P Support 4K & 8500 Lumens & Unique ET Appearance] The V10 uses emerald BIGLENS with high transmittance and reflectivity, so it produces vivid image expression with clear and clear light and dark and clear 10000:1 ultra-high contrast, allowing you to achieve an amazingly delicate screen expression. The emerald BIGLENS allows for greater light penetration rate and more than 90% of the color gamut to be identified, and the natural colors are gentle on the eyes.
- 🪐 [4-Point/4D Keystone Correction & 50% ZOOM Function] With upgraded 4-Point keystone correction,V10 video projector can achieve a higher level of precision correction.The four corners of the image can be adjusted separately, not limited by the position of the projector.The digital zoom function can reduce the image size from 100% to 50% by the remote without moving the projector.
- 🪐 [Advanced Cooling System & Presentation via USB] The first LCD projector equipped with sturdy anti-oxidation bimetallic brackets, which not only increases the height of the projector, but also expands the ventilation area.3-sideds ventilation design ensures that the heat dissipation efficiency of the projector is increased by 50%. Excel/Word/PDF can be easily displayed on the projector via your USB stick.Say bye to complicated connections and make small conferences more efficient.
- 🪐 [120000 Hours Lamp Life & Lifetime Professional Support] Adopt the latest SmarEco technology to minimize lamp power consumption to extend the useful life of the lamp to a maximum of 120000 hours. This portable projector is very suitable for home movie entertainment, outdoor, games, yoga, and party usage. YABER provides 6-Month back and 3-Year repair, lifetime professional technical support. Any problems, please feel free to us know anytime.
The Yaber V10 projector is one of the best-rated projectors under £200 on Amazon UK, according to customer reviews. It’s a Full HD (1080p) LCD projector that includes features that are typically found in more expensive models.
The V10 is equipped with a high-quality emerald lens that provides superior transmittance and reflectivity. If used in a controlled environment, it is capable of producing a sharp and vibrant projection that is visually appealing. According to Yaber, the V10 is capable of producing up to 8500 lumens of brightness and a super-high contrast ratio of 10000:1, though we haven’t put these claims to the test yet.
In a surprising addition to its other features, the V10 has a 4-point keystone correction system that allows users to adjust each corner of the image separately. The projector also has a digital zoom feature that allows you to reduce the overall size of the image by up to 50% without having to physically move the device. The unit can be placed up to 9 feet away from the projector screen without causing image degradation. The minimum projection distance is 4.5 feet, but you can place the unit up to 9 feet away without causing image degradation.
The V10 is constructed entirely of black materials, which allows it to blend in quite well with the surroundings of a typical living room. The projector unit is passively cooled by the vents on the sides, while the two sturdy metal stands beneath the projector unit allow for better heat dissipation. You have the option of keeping the V10 on your desk or mounting it to the ceiling.
Although the V10 has two built-in 5W speakers that deliver a stereo audio experience, we recommend using the 3.5mm audio-out jack to connect external speakers to the projector for the best sound quality. You can also use it to connect your wireless headphones or Bluetooth speakers for a tether-free audio output, thanks to the Bluetooth 5.1 connectivity it provides.
Other connectivity options include two HDMI ports (of an unspecified version) for connecting smart TV boxes, Blu-ray players, and video game consoles, as well as a VGA input for connecting legacy devices such as projectors. The AV port allows you to connect even the most ancient video sources to your computer.
Apart from that, the Yaber V10 is equipped with two USB ports for playing back video and audio files stored on an external storage device. You can also use a USB stick to view and present Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint slides, and PDF files, among other things.
Finally, the V10 is equipped with dual-band Wi-Fi, which allows for wireless screen mirroring functionality. It essentially means that you can share your smartphone, tablet, or computer screen with everyone in the room without the use of a cable in an effortless manner.
In conclusion, the Yaber V10 is an excellent budget projector that can be used in both the home and the office environment. It is backed by a 6-month return policy as well as a 3-year manufacturer warranty, which are both included. Keep in mind that this unit is frequently heavily discounted on Amazon when purchased with a voucher, so keep an eye out for deals.
ViewSonic M1 mini
- IDEAL FOR PORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT: This ultra-portable and lightweight projector delivers convenient entertainment in any room of your house.
- FUNKY CUSTOMISABLE COLOURS: The M1 mini has bright and funky swappable top plates (all included in the box) to allow you to match your mood & style.
- PREMIUM AUDIO: Built-in JBL speakers deliver room-filling sound.
- ENGAGING INDOOR ACTIVITY: Keep you & your family entertained whilst you work or play by creating a cosy cinema set up in your own home, perfect for when you can't leave the house, & for rainy days or nights in.
- EYE FRIENDLY: Eye protection features keep your eyes safe, whilst a built-in battery means no need for mains plugs or any wires so no tripping hazard.
The ViewSonic M1 mini is a pocket-sized projector that is impressively portable, allowing you to effectively carry a large screen with you wherever you go. We think it’s the best projector under £200 in the UK, and it’s our top pick. If you travel a lot, this is a piece of technology that you absolutely must have in your backpack. Because of the reasonable street price, it makes for an excellent gift option as well.
In fact, the ViewSonic M1 mini’s throw ratio of 1.2 means that it is capable of projecting a large 40-inch screen from an extremely close distance of just 1.1 metres. No matter how you tilt the unit, the auto-40° vertical keystone correction ensures that the projected image is correctly aligned. However, for the best viewing experience, it is necessary to be in a dimly lit environment.
While the 0.2″ DLP chip’s 120 Lumens brightness, 500:1 contrast ratio, and native 480p resolution don’t sound particularly impressive on paper, they’re actually quite good for a projector that’s almost the same size as your wallet. Despite the lower resolution, the image is still relatively sharp and detailed due to the projector’s ability to downscale a 1080p video source into a lower resolution.
The onboard 2-watt JBL-tuned mono speaker produces surprisingly good audio quality for such a small projector, especially considering its size. External audio output is not possible due to the lack of an auxiliary port or Bluetooth connectivity.
In addition to its minimal design, the M1 mini has a well-engineered, adjustable stand that allows it to be projected from the ceiling. The top cover plate can be swapped out, allowing you to personalise the appearance of the mini projector. They are available for purchase separately, but you will receive three top plates (teal, yellow, and grey) as well as a lanyard as part of the initial package.
The M1 mini’s rechargeable battery, which is built into the device, provides up to 2.5 hours of viewing time. Enabling Eco Mode results in a slight increase in battery life. To extend the playtime, you can use the included 5V/2A MicroUSB power adapter or the power bank that came with your smartphone.
A single HDMI 1.4 port is provided for connecting modern audio/video devices, and a Type-A USB port is provided for playing back movies and music directly from a flash drive. The M1 mini has no inputs other than the HDMI 1.4 port. You’ll also get a stylish remote control that can be used to switch between sources and turn the unit on and off.
It is by no means a replacement for large and bulky home theatre projectors, but its extreme portability makes it a compelling option for people who need to display large amounts of content on a large entertainment screen on the go.
Philips NeoPix Easy 2+
- Vivid Display: Up to 80" display in True HD 720p,1280x720p resolution
- Media Player: Display videos, images and even play songs via USB or microSD. Built-in speakers for on-the-go sound.
- Image Corrections: place it where you wish! digital keystone, digital zoom and panel flip functions
- Easy Connection: Connect all your compatible devices to your NeoPix projector via HDMI
- Years of fun: LED light source lasts over 20,000 hours
The NeoPix Easy 2+ Projector is yet another excellent choice among the best budget projectors under £200 on the market. If you find the ViewSonic M1 mini to be too underpowered for your needs, the Philips NeoPix Easy 2+ is a significant step up in terms of performance. A 720p projector and a pair of stereo speakers with a total output of 6W provide better audio quality than the previous model.
The NeoPix Easy 2+, with its 1.4:1 throw ratio, can display images on a screen as large as 80 inches, though Philips recommends a maximum screen size of 65 inches in a dark room. Because the projector can accept up to a 1080p Full HD input from an HDMI or VGA source, the native image remains reasonably sharp even after being downscaled.
The built-in media player allows you to watch movies, listen to music, and view images from the USB and MicroSD card slots on the device. You can also use the 3.5mm auxiliary jack to connect your own headphones or speakers to the device.
Overall, the NeoPix Easy 2+ is a fantastic source of entertainment for something that can easily be tucked away in a travel backpack or purse.
- High-definition experience: 2021 GooDee newest HD projector features True 720p native resolution，it has the brighter colour light output with 1280x720P native resolution, 3000: 1 contrast ratio and 50000 hours LED lamp life, delivering remarkable vivid colour and richer details to capture everyone's attention
- Excellent viewing experience: An excellent combination of ultra-big screen, 40-200" Big screen display size with projection distance 1.5 meters to 4.5 meters（ideal distance is 1.8 meters）, extra 80% brighter makes the HDMI projector ideal for any occasions, home entertainment, party and game
- Portable design & Built-in speaker: Phone mini projector are small in size ( 9.64*6.53*3.2inch/2.75lb ), unique design makes it easier to take anywhere. Built-in powerful speaker can deliver a clear sound which will meet your daily needs, such as play movie, photo and games
- Wide application and compatibility: This projector supports HDMI/VGA/AV/IR/USB/Micro SD card. Hdmi & Dual USB Ports design makes it more convenient. Multimedia support photo, music, movie, e-book, texts. Connect your computer/ laptop/ TV/ mobile/ smartphone/tablet / Blu-ray DVD player to enjoy video or movie; connect PlayStation/ PS3/ PS4 or X-Box/x-360/x-one via HDMI port to enjoy gaming time.
- For smartphone: A Lightning to HDMI adapter cable is needed. For Android Device: Please prepare an MHL cable (Notice: Your device should support MHL function.) We provides lifetime customer support: hassle-free purchase for you. If you have any problems, questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us
If you are looking for a mini projector that is even more affordable, the GooDee YG420 is a good option to consider. This 720p projector provides you with a 60-inch screen that is ideal for your content consumption requirements. Because of its small size, it is also an excellent media machine for outdoor parties.
Despite its low price, this projector still includes 15-degree manual keystone and focus correction, as well as digital zoom functionality. A MicroUSB/USB-C/Lightning to HDMI adapter cable can be used to connect an Android smartphone or an iPhone/iPad that is compatible with the MHL function to the two HDMI inputs.
VGA, AV, MicroSD, and USB 2.0 are among the other connectivity options available. The built-in media player on the YG420 is capable of playing a wide range of audio and video formats, allowing you to watch movies and listen to music from external storage devices.
A mini projector such as the GooDee YG420 is an excellent choice if you are working with a tight budget.
- 【NATIVE 1080P FULL HD RESOLUTION】Vamvo projector L6200 with native resolution of 1920*1080p, 2.25 times as clear as 720p, and contrast ratio 6000:1, unique colour technology and exclusive colour reproduction feature offer a wide colour gamut of 16.77 million for superb image production, delivering you a stunning visual experience.
- 【BRIGHTER】Featuring 7000 Lumens of brightness, Vamvo native 1080p projector L6200 provides a display up to 300" in size, brings 3 times of more brighter than 720p projectors on the market and provides you with perfect visual experience even during the day. with energy-saving LED lamp, the lifetime is up to 50000 hours. Designed to create an excellent performance for home entertainment and business.
- 【POWERFUL SOUND】Vamvo home projector L6200 supports Dolby sound. Built-in HiFi stereo speaker, it brings you a brilliant audio-visual experience at any time and in any place without plugging with an extra speaker. With keystone of manual±50°, breaking the space limit, the projector can be placed more freely, and the projection pictures can be more wonderful.
- 【VERSATILE CONNECTIVITY】:Vamvo outdoor projector L6200 meets your multiple needs. It supports HDMI/ USB/ VGA/ AV/ Micro SD Card/ Audio Out 3.5mm. Dual HDMI & USB ports design makes it more convenient to connect your laptop, Blu-ray Disc player, gaming console or streaming device etc; It can be used normally even without a remote control, the surface of the fuselage supports touch control.
- 【Professional Support】Vamvo provides 24-month after-sale and timely professional Technical support for L6200 projector. If you're not completely satisfied with the order, please let us know and you'll be offered a refund within 1 month or Replacement alternatively within 3 month.
Recent permanent price reductions for the Vamvo L6200 have brought it closer to the £200 target. If you are looking to purchase a standard-throw best budget projector under 300 pounds for your entertainment setup, this is a viable alternative to the Yaber V10 that comes at a lower retail cost.
The L6200 projector has a native 1080p resolution and uses an energy-efficient LED lamp, making it 1.5 times sharper than HD projectors. It can project a detailed image up to 120 inches in size from a distance of 3.8 metres (12 ft). Vamvo claims that this particular model has a 5000:1 contrast ratio, a brightness of up to 6000 lumens, and a wide colour gamut coverage, among other features. As long as you use the projector in a dimly lit environment, you should be able to expect an overall bright, sharp, and vibrant picture.
The L6200 provides vertical keystone correction of up to 15 degrees and manual focus adjustments. If you want a larger projection, moving the projector 9.2 metres away from the projection surface will give you a 300-inch screen, though the brightness and clarity will suffer.
The sheer portability of the Vamvo L6200 is one of its most compelling selling points. Because the projector unit is small and weighs less than three kilos, you can move it around with ease and without causing damage. With the included carrying case, you can easily transport the projector to events such as parties and camping trips.
The L6200 has two HDMI ports, one VGA port, an AV port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It also has a single VGA port and an AV port. Local video and audio playback is accomplished through the use of a MicroSD card slot and two full-size USB ports.
You can switch between the sources using either the projector’s top touch control bar or the IR remote control that comes with it. Aside from that, the dual 5W built-in stereo speakers and support for Dolby Digital audio are also worth mentioning.
When you purchase a Vamvo L6200 projector, you will receive two years of after-sale support, and you can contact their professional technical support team for assistance. If you receive a faulty unit, you can return it for a full refund within one month of purchase or exchange it for a new one within three months of purchase.
Artlii Play Smart
- Intelligent system Android TV 9.0: mobile phone projector built-in the latest Android TV 9.0 intelligent system and pre-installed Google Store, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Hulu etc. 2G RAM + 16G ROM, you can download many apps in the Google Store and you can surf the Internet.
- Full HD experience: Artlii Play Pro mini projector, native resolution 1280 x 720p supports 1080P full HD. The brightness is 70% higher than other 720P projectors. Use the latest LED lens to improve the contrast of the projector, it provides realistic video quality and accurate colours. (The projector works better in a dark environment)
- WiFi connection: Artlii Play WiFi projector has WiFi functions that allow screen synchronisation to be carried out wirelessly. No additional adapter required. You can project your smartphone (iPhone, Android) or your laptop (Win10/Mac) anywhere with the projector.
- Bluetooth connection, independent speaker: Artlii Play Bluetooth projector supports easy connection with Bluetooth speakers, headphones and soundbar. Mobile phone projector supports AC-3 audio. When you connect your smartphone with Bluetooth, it can also be used independently as a Bluetooth speaker. Built-in 2 x 5 W 300 cc stereo speakers with SRS sound system and loud cavity are complete sound boxes.
- ±45° 4D trapezoidal correction and zoom: the Artlii Play mini projector has a ± 45°4D trapezoidal correction (vertical and horizontal) as well as a zoom function from 70% to 100%. It is very convenient to use the remote control to adjust the screen ratio to project a perfect picture in any room.
The Artlii Play is an excellent choice if you are willing to spend a little more than £200 on a high-quality portable projector that meets your needs. The Artlii Play is one of the best projectors available for less than £300. It provides a native Android TV 9.0 experience, allowing you to access popular video streaming apps such as Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube, and others. It is compatible with all Android TV models.
The Artlii Play is a portable projection device that measures only 4.7 x 6.7 x 7.9 inches in dimensions. The unit is also lightweight, weighing less than three kilogrammes, and it has an integrated carrying belt, making it easy to transport.
This device is powered by an Amlogic T972 processor, which is a reasonably capable quad-core processor. This processor is coupled with 2 GB of RAM, which allows for a fluid and responsive Android TV experience. The 16 GB of internal storage space allows you to download and install as many streaming apps as you want from the Google Play Store, which is conveniently integrated into the device.
This LCD projector has a native resolution of 720p, but it can accept an input resolution of up to 1080p and downscale it. When used in a light-controlled environment, it produces acceptable image quality. In addition, the remote allows you to perform manual 45-degree keystone correction as well as control 70-100 percent optical zoom.
The Artlii Play is equipped with two 5W speakers that are capable of supporting SRS sound enhancements. Because of its Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity, you can also use the projector to wirelessly connect compatible headphones, soundbars, and speakers to your computer.
Additional inputs include two HDMI ports for connecting PCs, laptops, and gaming consoles, as well as two USB ports for playing local media on a computer or laptop. You can play your video and audio files on the projector because it runs on Android TV OS, which allows you to use your favourite media player app.
The Artlii Play is, in the end, a fantastic projector for both indoor and outdoor entertainment purposes. The only disadvantage is that it does not come with a built-in battery, so you will still need to connect it to an alternating current power outlet. Once again, keep an eye out for this particular projector, as it is frequently available at significantly reduced prices during Amazon sales.
Anker Nebula Capsule
- Remarkable Clarity and Contrast: DLP's advanced IntelliBright algorithms deliver a remarkably bright 100 ANSI-lumen image. (Recommended for use in dimmer environments.)
- 360° Speaker: Equipped with a powerful omnidirectional speaker, this mini projector pumps out sound all around.
- Home Entertainment: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows, and more up to 100 inches big anywhere in your home thanks to this mini-projector’s soda can-sized design.
- Android 7.1: Run streaming and media apps flawlessly from this mini-projector. Seamlessly display content from Netflix, Youtube, and more on your mini projector for endless entertainment.
- NOTE: Copyrighted content from Hulu, Netflix, and similar services CAN NOT be mirrored or screencast. Download and use the apps directly through Capsule portable projector to view copyrighted content from these providers. Chromecast is not supported. For peak performance, please update to the latest firmware.
If you have a slightly larger budget, the Nebula Capsule from Anker is a portable cylindrical projector with an embedded Android TV operating system. It’s about the size and portability of a can of soda, making it perfect for backyard movie nights or even camping outings.
The Nebula Capsule’s 100 ANSI lumen bulb, which is surprisingly powerful for its size, has a projection range of up to 100 inches. With its DLP chip and 400:1 contrast ratio, it performs admirably, despite the fact that the native 480p resolution is not particularly sharp.
The 5W 360° speaker built into the projector produces impressively loud audio, filling the entire room with sound. The internal battery allows the Capsule to play video for approximately four hours, which is impressive considering its small size.
The Nebula Capsule not only provides access to all of the most popular streaming apps, but it also allows you to mirror your screen. It can also be used as a Bluetooth speaker, if desired. HDMI and USB are two additional interfaces that are supported.
Everything taken into consideration, the Anker Nebula Capsule is one of the most capable and affordable portable projectors available at this price.
When looking for budget projectors, there are several things to consider.
There are numerous common applications for projectors, so it’s important to be aware of a few things to keep an eye out for. Your projector purchase decision should always be based on how you intend to use it, as not all projectors are created equal and are suitable for all types of work.
Home Theatre Projectors
If you want to watch movies or play video games on a larger screen, a home theatre projector is the best option. The projection size can be increased to 300″, which is more than enough if you have a lot of empty space in your home to work with.
Such projectors are also calibrated to produce images with high brightness, good colour saturation, a high contrast ratio, and a relatively sharp image, among other characteristics. When used in dimly lit rooms or low-light situations, they perform best, similar to how they perform in theatres. When used in conjunction with a reflective projector screen, home theatre projectors can create a truly immersive environment.
The latest home theatre projectors include an HDMI port, which allows you to connect your desktop computer, laptop, game console, Blu-ray player, Android set-top boxes, Fire TV, and Roku devices to your projector. When purchasing a projector of this type, make certain that it has adequate cooling. Overheating can cause your binge-watching sessions to be interrupted, as well as reduce the projector’s lifespan.
Alternatively, if you intend to use a projector for business or commercial purposes, you should purchase a business projector. These types of projectors are specifically designed for displaying slideshows, spreadsheets, informational videos, and other types of presentations. In addition, most of them are available with high brightness settings, allowing the projected images to be seen clearly even in meeting rooms and classrooms with large windows and artificial lighting sources.
Typically, business projectors are used to project static content, but they can also be used to watch videos. Because of the inclusion of HDMI and VGA ports, you will be able to connect laptops and PCs when the situation requires it.
Furthermore, business projectors are not as large as those used in home theatres. Moving them from one room to another is simple, and they usually come with a variety of mounting options to choose from.
Connectivity options such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are expected to be included in midrange models. They are compatible with wireless screen mirroring as well as presentation remotes.
Portable projectors are a good option if you want something that you can carry around in your backpack or pocket with you. They typically weigh less than 400 grammes and are small enough to be held in one hand. When you are travelling and have a limited amount of luggage space, such projectors can be extremely useful.
However, the projection quality of a portable projector should not be considered when purchasing one. Affordably priced models have a 480p resolution and a low brightness and contrast ratio, making them less than ideal for reading. When the projection size is small, videos still look good despite the lower-quality specifications.
The majority of portable projectors are equipped with a built-in battery, allowing you to use them without the need for a power adapter. Aside from that, they are efficient enough to be charged by a power bank.
The majority of portable projectors come equipped with zoom and keystone correction capabilities, despite their small size.
Types Of Projection Displays
In order to make an informed decision when shopping for a new and affordable or budget projector, it’s important to understand what LCD and DLP stand for. Each type has its own set of advantages and disadvantages that can influence your decision to purchase one over the other. As is customary, we’ll tell you what to look out for in the future.
While we won’t go into great detail about the technical aspects of the projectors, the following information should be straightforward enough to help you understand the differences between LCD and DLP projectors.
LCD (liquid crystal display) (Liquid Crystal Display)
LCD projectors use the same technology as LCD displays, which are commonly found in consumer televisions and mobile phones. In an LCD projector, there are three transmissive mirrors, each of which has a source of white light behind them. These devices generate red, green, and blue light beams, which converge through a prism to form an image of the subject.
LCD projectors, when compared to DLP projectors, produce sharper images at the same resolution. Furthermore, colours appear to be more accurate, and the overall projection appears to be significantly brighter than DLP. Furthermore, this type of projector consumes significantly less energy.
DLP (Digital Light Processing)
In order to produce digital images, DLP projectors employ a digital micromirror device, which contains thousands of microscopic mirrors that work in conjunction with a light source. Although it is much simpler than the way LCDs operate, there are more moving parts in this system.
When compared to LCD projectors, DLP projectors produce smoother video and have faster response times than LCD projectors. They also produce “blacker” blacks and “whiter” whites, but their colour saturation is noticeably lower than that of the original.
Furthermore, DLP projections can be affected by the “rainbow effect,” which causes colour bands to appear around brighter objects when they are projected onto a white surface. Dead pixels, on the other hand, are not a problem with DLP projectors, which is one of the most common problems people have with LCD projectors. If portability and compactness are important to you, this type of projector may be a good choice to consider.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Projector
Aside from the display type, there are a number of other specifications to consider when purchasing a projector, such as brightness, contrast, resolution, connectivity, and so on, before making a purchase. Here’s everything you need to know about them in greater depth:
In case you didn’t notice, when we were talking about the best budget projectors, we took the rated brightness into consideration. This is due to the fact that it has an impact on the visibility of the projection. The greater the number of lumens, the brighter the projected image will be over a wider range of distances.
When compared to their more expensive counterparts, the brightness of affordable projectors is relatively low. However, anything with a brightness of more than 6000 lumens should be able to provide a satisfactory viewing experience in a dimly lit environment.
The Contrast Ratio
When comparing colours, contrast ratio is the ratio of brightness between the most vibrant and darkest. When the contrast ratio is 8000:1, for example, it means that the brightest white in a given image is 8000 times brighter than the darkest black in that image.
Projectors have a contrast ratio that determines how much detail can be seen in a projection. The higher the contrast ratio, the more detailed the projected image. Having said that, the lower the contrast ratio, the less sense it makes in a darker environment. If you purchase a projector with a low contrast ratio, you will need to use it in extremely dim lighting conditions in order to achieve a satisfactory result. Anything with a contrast ratio greater than 1000:1 should produce a respectable image.
The resolution of a projector, like the resolution of televisions and monitors, determines how crisp and detailed the projection will be. The greater the number of pixels spread across vertical and horizontal arrays, the sharper the image should appear to be.
In the event that you intend to watch movies or play video games, you should consider purchasing a projector that can project images with high resolution. For such purposes, we recommend investing in a Full HD (1920 x 1080) or HD (1280 x 720) projector, respectively. If you save up enough money, you might be able to afford a 4K projector as well.
The resolution of a projector should be the least of your concerns if you intend to use it solely for office or school work, which should be the case in most cases.
The final consideration when purchasing a projector is its ability to communicate with other devices. HDMI, DVI, VGA, and RCA AV inputs are the bare minimum requirements for a projector, depending on the devices you intend to connect with it. Fortunately, most projector manufacturers include the following ports as standard in their products.
Nowadays, almost every model comes with one or more USB ports, depending on the model. It allows you to connect external storage devices to it, which allows you to play media directly from the projector.
Additionally, some projectors include Wi-Fi connectivity, which allows users to stream media from a shared drive to the projector while still connected to the same network. It also opens the door to screen mirroring, which allows you to mirror the screen of your phone or tablet without the need for a wired adapter.
If a projector is equipped with Bluetooth connectivity, you should be able to connect it to a wireless sound system or a third-party presentation remote control.
To Sum Up
In this guide, we’ve compiled a list of the best budget projectors available for purchase in the United Kingdom. We’ve also covered the fundamentals to assist you in making the best decision possible when purchasing a projector.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!