Best clothes airer: The top airers for drying laundry
Looking to buy the best clothes airer? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for you.
Laundry drying is never a fun process, but locating the best clothes airer for your living environment may make it a lot easier.
People are sometimes hesitant to purchase clothes airers since they are big, flimsy, and take longer to dry clothes than tumble dryers.
However, utilising a durable clothes airer with plenty of drying room will help you save money and lower your carbon footprint – and don’t forget, not every item of clothing you possess can be thrown in the dryer.
So, if you’re prepared to sacrifice time to help save the environment (or if you’re tired of your clothes shrinking in tumble dryers), you’ve come to the correct spot.
This tutorial will show you how to choose the best clothing airers for your specific needs.
We’ve got you covered, whether you’re washing for a family of five or live in a small studio unit with little floor space.
You can also read our buyer’s guide for some helpful hints on making your first purchase.
How to Select the Most Appropriate Clothes Airer
What kinds of clothes airers are there?
There are so many alternatives to pick from when it comes to finding a clothes airer that it can be difficult to know where to begin.
The most crucial factors to consider are the amount of available floor space and the size of your typical load of laundry.
This will determine the type of clothes airer you purchase.
Below is a basic rundown of the various sorts of clothes airers.
Gated: These airers are shaped like fences and fold out to form a concertina.
These are usually the most affordable clothing airers, and they’re popular among students because they’re useful and don’t take up a lot of storage space.
This design, however, did not make it into our best purchase list because it is flimsy and unstable.
Tiered: These folding airers unfold to form a cross-like structure that can handle heavier clothing while taking up very little floor space.
They’re small, durable, and can carry a complete family’s laundry (depending on the number of tiers).
Winged: These, like tiered airers, can handle a lot of laundry, but they take up a little more room on the floor.
They are made out of an X-frame structure with two upper arms that may be modified to accommodate longer clothes.
This adaptability is one of the reasons why this model of airer is so popular.
Tower airers are without a doubt the finest for large households who create a lot of laundry.
They have the most drying space of any of the airers, yet they’re still easily collapsible and don’t take up a lot of room.
The only disadvantage is that the hanging bars are not as sturdy as they should be for hanging heavier textiles like denim.
Over-the-door and over-the-radiator: These clothes airers do exactly what they say on the tin: they hang over doors and radiators, which is ideal if you have limited floor space.
They also absorb heat from your radiators, making them ideal for drying garments in the cold.
Despite being generally less expensive, they have significantly less hanging space than free-standing clothes airers.
Heated: Heated clothes airers are substantially more expensive than normal clothes airers, but they can drastically reduce drying time.
These look like tiered or winged airers and use electricity to heat each drying rung.
They’re also less expensive to run and gentler on your clothes than tumble dryers.
Hanging: These dryers are tiny structures that can be hanged from door frames to clotheslines with a hook.
Most notably, they are equipped with pegs, which are ideal for drying delicates and socks.
I’m not sure how much I should spend.
You can get very cheap clothing airers at most big supermarkets, but they are generally weak and break easily.
Sure, they’d get the job done, but they’re hardly “the best” when you consider how often you’d have to repurchase them.
That’s why investing a little more money in the correct clothes airer is a good idea.
Even our economy choice comes with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty, ensuring that it won’t fall apart or collapse when you lay a pair of heavy trousers on it.
The majority of decent airers cost between £20 and £35, however very low-cost models are well below this, and higher-end models can cost upwards of £100.
What are the main characteristics to keep an eye out for?
Drying area: One element of clothes airers that you should not miss is the drying space.
This is the combined length of all the drying rungs, as if they were one continuous clothesline.
Obviously, if you have a large family, you’ll need more drying space, but if you live alone, you may be able to make do with less.
Size: Let’s face it, clothes airers aren’t particularly attractive.
The majority of consumers prefer a clothes airer that they can store when not in use.
Check the collapsible size of the clothes airer you’re contemplating to make sure it will fit inside a cupboard or beneath a bed.
Weight is a property of clothing airers that can be beneficial on both ends of the spectrum.
People who require easy transportation or who struggle to handle hefty weights will benefit from something lightweight.
However, if you want to use your airer both indoors and outside, a heavier airer may be preferable so that it doesn’t blow over in windy conditions.
Guarantees: As previously said, buying a clothes airer with a strong guarantee is usually advantageous because you’ll be covered if and when it breaks.
When buying an airer, keep an eye out for this.
Other features: If you’re searching for convenience and mobility, features like wheels for transportation, shoe racks, and attachable laundry bags might be very beneficial.
Best clothes airer to buy
- 15 metres of drying space
- 4 additional hooks to hang clothes hangers
- Non slip feet to prevent any scratching on hard floors
- Sturdy steel frame, Space saving and compact when folded
- Note: The dryer will hold upto 15kg of laundry
- 4-TIER Oversized Clothes Drying Rack: Oversized 4-tier design and 2 wing hooks for drying towels, socks, clothes, shoes, quilts, etc. Each level has 8 posts, 7 hooks on 2 side wings, you can hang longer suits or dresses. There is enough space to dry whole family's clothes.
- Stable Design: The drying rack is made of high-hardness stainless steel and thick plastic, with bold double columns on both sides, which is more stable than ordinary drying racks.
- Easy to Fix and Move: 4 castors make your airer easy and convenient to move. 2 castor is equipped with brake to prevent the rail from moving when locked.
- Easy to assemble: Size: 170cm Height x 76cm Width. The drying rack is very easy to install, with detailed instructions, one person can complete the assembly.
- Wide Range of Application Scenarios: This drying rack is suitable for indoor or outdoor use. You can put it on a balcony, patio, laundry room, or hallway. When you are not using it, it can be folded to save space.
- 15M of drying space (18 rails)
- Material: Steel tube 12mm - wire 3mm
- Open size: 61 x 44 x 139cm
- Close size: 61 x 75 x 5.5cm
- Easy to use locking mechanism
- 20 metres of drying space to easily dry your laundry
- Extra thick wires allow for less creases on garments
- Steady and sturdy steel frame with safety mechanism to avoid accidental closure
- Complete with a holder for small items and wheels to easily move it around
- Compact size and safe folding mechanism for easy storage
- Dry your freshly cleaned clothes on warm days or in your laundry room on a rainy day using this large turquoise Beldray airer.
- The airer simply unfolds ready for use and is strong and secure, able to hold a large amount of weight to look after your laundry.
- With a flat top and two side wings, you can position your clothes with a nice amount of space between them so they can dry thoroughly.
- The line is made from tough 2 mm iron wire which is long lasting and durable, so you can be confident that it will not snap during use.
- The clothes airer measures 182l x 50w x 100h cm and has a huge 18m of drying space, so you can air your whole load of laundry at once.
- [MATERIAL]: Made of robust powder coated steel it will securely hold a full load of washing so you can dry all your laundry without a tumble dryer.
- [EASY STORAGE]: Folds up for an easy storage. Dry your freshly cleaned clothes naturally outside in the sun or in your laundry room on a rainy day using this elegant airer. Made from steel with a clean powder coated finish, the airer is strong and secure, so you can simply unfold it ready for use. As well as three tiers of space, it has four side wings so you can dry clothes on hangers and move them to the wardrobe afterwards
- [FEATURES]: Portable Trio concertina airer Auto lock mechanism Tubular steel construction folds flat for easy storage.
- [IDEAL FOR]: Ideal for Indoor and Outdoor drying. Hanger hooks creates extra space, Ideal for longer items
- Easy to use locking mechanism
- A great money saving alternative to tumble drying, this Beldray Copper Edition 3 Tier Airer will look great in any home setting.
- Including a wonderful foldable design, simply unfold the airer to use and once finished fold down and store away for compact storage.
- As well as three tiers of space, it has hooks to dry 28 extra items of clothing on hangers and move them to the wardrobe afterwards.
- Great for drying towels, clothing and bedding, the airer has a 15 kg maximum load weight so you can dry a full load at once.
- 150 years and still growing - Beldray are celebrating 150 years of developing innovative products for every room in the home.
- [LARGE DRYING SPACE]: With 4 layers, consisting of 6 retractable layers and 2 side wings, 3 layers can be folded down for reasons of space. This drying rack offers more space for storage or drying, but also help save space
- [ADJUSTABLE & MOVABLE]: This garment rack can be adjusted and reassembled to suit different needs or drying environments. There are four wheels at the bottom which is easy to be moved when the clothes are hanging on the rack
- [DURABLE]: The drying rack is made of a combination of painted galvanized steel pipe and plastic. Not easy to rust and break. Each layer can bear up to 5kg and each side wing can bear up to 3kg
- [MULTIFUNCTIONAL]: 2 expandable coat hanger holders/side wings can hang clothes that are much longer. In addition to drying stuff, you can put clean clothes, hats, shoes, or books for storage
- [CUSTOMER SERVICE]: Customer satisfaction is always our pursuit. If you have any problems, please feel free to contact us. We will solve them as soon as possible
- 3 TIER RACK: This compact but strong folding drying rack provides the enough space in hanging capacity. Instead of pinning your garments to some string in the laundry room, unfold this drying rack to obtain all that area in a compact form.
- FOLDABLE: Folding design, already assembled when you open this clothes drying racks inside, no installation required. And with a simple folding system.
- EASY TO STORE: The laundry drying rack folding may be conveniently stored without installation in the corner of the room, laundry room, or balcony, conserving space, easy to transport, and will not cause you space problems.
- SPACE SAVING: Because of its verticality, it takes up very little space in your home. Fold the clothing rack and store it easily once the clothes are dry and ready to fold or iron. It's small enough to fit in any location in your laundry room when folded flat when not in use.
- SAFE TO USE: When the airer is opened, the double sided auto-lock mechanism clicks securely into position allowing the airer to be repositioned safely without fear of collapse.
- Large 14M drying space
- Compact and easy
- Auto locking device
- Hanger hooks creates extra space, Ideal for longer items
- Approx size when opened: 61cm (L) x 44cm (W) x 139cm(H)
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!