If you’ve noticed that your doors are swelling , paintwork peeling, not to mention the dreaded black mould, you’ll need a desiccant dehumidifier to combat your home’s high humidity levels. Investing in the best desiccant dehumidifier is an excellent way to address this issue before it causes serious damage to your property.
A desiccant dehumidifier is what it sounds like. Desiccant dehumidifiers, as opposed to compressed refrigerants, use chemicals to extract moisture from the air. They are more effective, quieter, and operate at lower temperatures than compressor models, making them ideal for damp homes.
If you want to buy a desiccant dehumidifier but don’t know where to begin, you’ve come to the right place. Our top 8 desiccant dehumidifier reviews and in-depth buying guide will assist you in selecting the best model for your requirements.
Simple EcoAir DD1
- Powerful extraction of up to 7.5 Litres of moisture at cold temperatures as low as 1 degree Celcius. Desiccant technology with simple to use rotary control. Lightweight at only 6kg. Very eco-friendly with no harmful gas and no noisy compressor.
- Silver Filter that kills bacteria on contact. 2 litres tank capacity with optional Continuous Drainage (1 metre hose supplied).
- Powerful laundry function with turbo and quiet modes; Super Quiet mode at 34dBA; Adjustable Louvre for concentrated dehumidification.
- Carry Handle makes moving the unit extremely handy. Water Bucket is on the side of the unit making it more convenient to remove & comes with its own carry handle to minimise spillage and better handling.
- Safety features: tilt over stop protection & automatic water full shut down.
Our best value desiccant dehumidifier pick is the EcoAir DD1 Simple.
It has a large daily extraction rate of 7 litres and can be used to remove damp and mould throughout your home or in specific wet areas such as your laundry room, kitchen, or bathroom.
It also includes an anti-bacterial filter, which makes your air safer and more pleasant to breathe, making it ideal if you or your family suffer from allergies. The adjustable louvre allows you to direct the flow of air for maximum efficiency. While the controls are basic, they are simple to use, and the rotary humidistat control allows you to quickly and easily select your desired humidity levels.
The water tank that collects moisture from the air has a handle and a lid that makes it simple to empty. However, because it is small, you may need to empty it frequently if your home is extremely damp. It should be noted that this model lacks a timer function and can be quite noisy when used in turbo mode.
Despite these minor flaws, this model is impressively well-designed and represents excellent value for money.
Daily extraction rate of seven litres
Filter that kills bacteria
Tank with anti-drip lid and handle
a movable louvre
Control of a rotary humidistat
Small water storage tank
There is no timer.
Turbo mode is noisy.
Meaco Zambezi DD8L
- EFFECTIVE MOISTURE MANAGEMENT- Possibly the world's best domestic low power dehumidifier, the feature-packed Meaco DD8L Zambezi is excellent at extracting water, energy efficient and easy to use.
- 6 WORLD FIRSTS - The first domestic desiccant low energy dehumidifier to have: a digital display, a sterilising ionizer, the exclusive Meaco Energy Saving Laundry+ and Turn Me On function, the first to have the unique Meaco 20+ Control and to have a Daily Run Timer, On Timer and an Off Timer.
- TACKLES ALL ENVIRONMENTS - Anywhere you have a damp or condensation problem, from the home to the garage, boat or caravan, the Zambezi dehumidifier for damp offers more functionality, control and options than any other domestic dehumidifier on the market today.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT- Keep household bills at a minimum. The Zambezi energy efficient dehumidifier extracts up to 8L of water a day and utilizes revolutionary Meaco Control Logic for more accurate, energy saving dehumidification.
- EASY TO USE - Awarded a Which? Best Buy in 2021, the Zambezi dehumidifiers for home feature simple controls and a variable humidistat allowing control at 40/70%rh, Auto-restart, Child Lock and a Laundry mode.
If you’re looking for a feature-rich desiccant dehumidifier, consider the Meaco Zambezi.
This award-winning model is ideal for any size home, from small apartments to five-bedroom houses. This unit automatically checks humidity levels and toggles itself on and off to save energy, so it only runs when necessary. This model is a high-performance choice for reducing humidity in any building or room, with a maximum water extraction rate of 8 litres per day. Furthermore, it has a digital display for your convenience.
This unit has a low noise level of 41dB, making it suitable for use in smaller homes. However, keep in mind that the water tank is on the small side and will need to be emptied on a regular basis.
Furthermore, the 3-year warranty may be limited and may exclude certain repairs. This, however, does not detract from the machine’s excellent performance and ease of use.
Daily extraction rate of eight litres
Featuring a digital display
Low noise level – 41 to 50dB Small size
Power consumption is minimal.
Water tank size may be limited Limited warranty
- PURIFICATION - Ioniser purify the air thus reducing asthma & allergy symptoms to enhance your well being. IonPure Filter (soluble glass attached on the Silver Nano Filter) is very much antimicrobially effective against a wide range of bacteria.
Whether you’re drying clothes inside or your home is damp, the EcoAir DD128 can make a big difference in your comfort and well-being.
This model is effective at lowering relative humidity levels, with an extraction rate of 8 litres of water per day and energy-efficient E7 technology. It also has an ioniser and a silver filter to help keep your air clean and allergy symptoms at bay. The 3D louvre also allows you to target airflow for increased efficiency and better unit placement.
Despite being simple to use, with a built-in timer and a dedicated laundry mode, this unit lacks a digital humidistat. It runs relatively quietly, but on high, it can become quite loud. Although there is no spout on the tank for easy pouring, it is a good size for this unit at just over 2-litres capacity.
Overall, this is a great option for a cleaner, healthier home.
Daily extraction of 8 litres
3D louvre with ioniser and silver filter
E7 energy-saving technology
Warranty of two years
There is no spout on the water tank.
There is no digital humidistat.
Noisy in high settings
EcoAir DD1 Classic
- 3D-Louvre enables you to channels airflow over a Wide area or Spot to optimise efficiency when the need arises. Powerful extraction of up to 7 Litres of moisture at cold temperatures as low as 1 degree Celcius.
- ECO E7 Technology automatically toggles between full power, economy power and standby modes saving your energy bill by as much as 40%.
- Overdry Protection: it knows when to toggle the dehumidification process when the air gets too dry to avoid unnecessarily "over-dry" ambient air. Safety features: tilt over stop protection, water full shut down and Auto-Restart (after a power cut).
- Built in Ioniser for air purification & Silver Filter that kills bacteria on contact. Features : Powerful laundry mode with turbo and saving modes; Super Quiet mode at only 34dBA; 2, 4 & 8 Hour Timer.
- Carry Handle makes moving the unit extremely handy. Water Bucket is on the side of the unit making it more convenient to remove than if it was at the back of the unit & comes with its own carry handle to minimise spillage and better handling.
If you’re looking for a great desiccant dehumidifier, consider the EcoAir DD1 Classic.
It is the best desiccant dehumidifier for very damp homes, capable of extracting 7L of excess moisture per day at maximum. This model is packed with features, including a quiet 34db operation, an air-purifying ioniser, and a silver filter for cleaner, allergen-free air. This desiccant dehumidifier features Eco E7 energy-saving technology and a timer for complete control over power consumption, making it ideal for lowering electricity bills. The 3D louvre maximises its effectiveness by channelling airflow, and the built-in laundry mode allows you to control humidity while drying clothes quickly.
The digital control panel is simple to use and allows you to get your appliance up and running quickly. If you need to leave the unit running while you go out, the EcoAir DD1 will safely switch between power modes when a comfortable humidity level is reached, preventing the air from drying out.
This model includes a continuous drainage hose, but if you are unable to use it, the 2L water tank may need to be emptied frequently. Furthermore, while the unit is lightweight at 6kg, it is top-heavy and easily knocked over.
However, we believe that this model is the best desiccant dehumidifier for your home due to its excellent feature set, general ease of use, and Eco E7 technology.
7L extraction rate per day
3D louvre – airflow channelling
Eco E7 technology saves energy.
Ionizer for air purification and silver filter
Timer/auto-off function built in
There is no relative humidity level indicator.
Top-heavy, relatively small water tank
Pro Breeze 10L.
- 10 Litres Per Day: Extracts up to 10 litres of moisture per day in temperatures as low as 1°C. It is ideal for damp, mould and moisture in large homes, rooms, bathrooms, garages and basements.
- Cold Temperatures: While regular compressor dehumidifiers work well between 20-30°C, they stop collecting moisture below 15°C, meaning they are unsuitable for colder environments. The Pro Breeze Desiccant Dehumidifier is designed to collect water in temperatures as low as 1°C and perfect for colder rooms or during the winter.
- Large Collection Tank: Large 3L water tank automatically shuts off when maximum capacity is reached, and a continuous drainage hose is included for long-term use.
- Set Desired Humidity: The built-in humidity sensor allows you to set your desired room humidity. Once this level is reached the unit will turn off to preserve energy. The swinging air outlet ensures you can direct air flow in any direction you desire.
- Digital Control Panel: LED lights display current room humidity level and the easy-to-use control panel ensures simple control of dehumidifier power and auto-off timer.
If you want a high capacity desiccant dehumidifier that is also reasonably compact and attractive, consider the Pro Breeze 10L.
This model has humidity settings that can be adjusted using the simple digital display, which also includes a built-in 12-hour timer and an automatic humidity sensor. With a daily water extraction rate of 10 litres per day, this unit is ideal for large homes with damp issues. It also has an anti-bacterial nano-silver filter and an adjustable air-channeling louvre to help clean the air in your home.
Emptying will be less frequent due to its large tank that can hold 3 litres of water. The tank, on the other hand, can be difficult to align into place. Also, if you decide to go with this model, keep in mind that it lacks an ioniser and a laundry mode.
This popular desiccant dehumidifier, on the other hand, is a high-quality product with superior programmable options and stylish good looks.
Extraction of 10 litres per day
Timer for 12 hours
Nano-silver antibacterial filter
Large 3-litre tank with automatic humidity sensor
There is no laundry mode.
Water tank alignment is difficult.
There is no ioniser.
EcoAir DD122 Mini
- Compact and effective - rapid control of humidity & indoor laundry drying. Controls mould, condensation and bacteria growth.
- Energy-saving - Ecoair’s E7 Technology optimises performance & maximises energy saving.
- Purification - anti-allergic deodorising filter mask unwanted odours and improve air quality to enhance your well being.
- Safety - features include tilt over protection, automatic water full shut down,auto restart and over-drying protection.
- 2 Year Manufacturer Warranty.
If you’re looking for the best desiccant dehumidifier for your small house or apartment, consider the compact and affordable EcoAir DD122 Mini.
It can extract up to 6-litres of water per day from your home and uses Eco E7 technology to function efficiently, optimising power use and saving power. Its small size makes it ideal for small rooms such as your laundry room or bathroom. You can improve performance and airflow with its three-position air-channeling louvre, and the anti-allergy deodorising filter will improve the air quality in your home.
This compact desiccant dehumidifier is easy to use and effective, with a digital control board and timer. Just keep in mind that it does not include a humidity indicator for your room. In addition, at 1.8 litres, the tank will need to be emptied frequently in very damp homes, and the fan may be quite noisy in confined spaces.
Overall, this is a fantastic compact model, perfect for your bathroom or small apartment.
6-litre extraction rate per day
Timer and digital control panel
Louvre with three air-channeling positions
Eco E7 energy-saving anti-allergy deodorising filter
Small water storage tank
There is no humidity indicator.
- Powerful extraction of up to 10 Litres of moisture at cold temperatures as low as 1 degree Celcius. (Note that compressor models are ineffective at cold temperatures below 10 degree Celcius).
- 3.5 litre tank capacity with optional Continuous Drainage (1 metre hose supplied).
- Features : Powerful laundry function with turbo and quiet modes; Super Quiet mode at 36dBA; 2 mode settings - Quiet & Turbo; Up to 150 degree adjustable Louvre for concentrated dehumidification.
- Desiccant technology with simple to use rotary control. Lightweight at only 8.5kg. Very eco-friendly with no harmful gas and no noisy compressor.
- Safety features – tilt over stop protection & automatic water full shut down. 12 months EcoAir manufacturer warranty.
The EcoAir DD322 is a potent desiccant dehumidifier capable of extracting up to 10-litres of water per day.
It is suitable for large damp homes due to its large capacity 3.5-litre water tank. For best results, use the laundry function or high-performance turbo modes as needed, or switch to quiet mode at night. Another benefit of this model is its 150-degree adjustable louvre, which allows you to further optimise dehumidification and airflow.
Keep in mind that, like most large models, higher settings can be quite noisy. There is also no hygrometer to show humidity levels. Because it is fairly heavy at 8.5kg, you may prefer a model with wheels if you believe you will struggle to move it.
This high-performance model, on the other hand, makes an excellent choice for your home, thanks to safety features such as tilt-over stop protection and auto water full shut down, as well as a two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
150-degree adjustable louvre, 10-litre daily extraction rate
5 litre tank
Warranty of two years
On high, it’s quite noisy.
There are no wheels.
There is no hygrometer.
- Can extract 8 litres a day, equivalent to a 16-20L compressor dehumidifier, suitable for flats or homes
- Quieter than compressor dehumidifiers at just 39dB at low fan speeds.
- Equipped with an anti-bacterial filter and ionisor to clean the air as it dehumidifies
If you’re looking for a small but effective desiccant dehumidifier that can be left alone to do its job, the Meaco DD8L might be just what you’re looking for.
It can remove up to 8 litres of water per day and has an auto on/off setting, making it an excellent choice for conserving energy and leaving in unused spaces such as your garage, caravan, or boat. Its simple graphic control board is effective, and you can choose fan speeds independently, so you won’t be woken up if you use it at home at night.
This desiccant dehumidifier also has an anti-bacterial filter and an ioniser, which are useful for allergy sufferers. Despite the fact that it has an easy-to-empty reservoir with a splash-proof cover, you may need to empty it on a regular basis.
Nonetheless, we believe this model is an excellent, energy-saving compact option for improving humidity levels in your home, garage, or caravan.
8 litres per day extraction
Size is small.
Control panel in graphical form
With a splash-proof cover, the reservoir is simple to empty.
There is no humidity indicator display.
Small water storage tank
Considerations When Purchasing a Desiccant Dehumidifier
If you’re fighting humidity in your home, selecting the right desiccant dehumidifier is critical to victory.
This section looks at some of the most important features. Those to keep an eye out for before making a purchase.
Consider the maximum water extraction rate of a desiccant dehumidifier when purchasing one. This is expressed in litres per day.
If the humidity is extremely high, you will need a high extraction rate to quickly bring the situation under control. Most large models have 10-litre per day rates.
However, if you have a small home, you may prefer a smaller, more compact model with a lower rate of five to seven litres.
Take note of how much water the model can hold from the air and the size of its water tank. Choose a model with a large tank capacity whenever possible. This will save you from having to empty it as frequently.
Most models also include a drain tube for continuous drainage. Other useful water tank features to look for include pouring spouts, lids, and handles, which can all make emptying easier and spill-free.
The Control Panel
A high-quality desiccant dehumidifier will have a well-organized and simple-to-use control panel. While some people prefer a digital display, others prefer dials or buttons.
A quick glance at the control panel reveals all of the dehumidifier’s important functions. It will give you a better idea of whether it is suitable for your needs and easy to programme and use.
Do you require a laundry mode for drying clothes? Do you want to save money on your bills by using an eco-friendly setting? Before you buy, make sure you know what settings your desiccant dehumidifier has.
Aside from laundry and energy-saving eco modes, you’ll most likely want a high and a low setting. Set your desiccant dehumidifier to high to quickly reduce humidity levels. After taking a shower or cooking, switching to high or turbo mode can be beneficial. Then, to stay on top of the problem, keep it on low, preventing levels from rising again.
A built-in timer allows you to programme your desiccant dehumidifier to run for a specific amount of time. This can help you reduce your power consumption and allow you to run your dehumidifier when it’s convenient for you, such as when you’re at work.
If you intend to use your dehumidifier at home, you should look for one with a low decibel rating. Desiccant dehumidifiers make some noise due to their fans, despite the fact that they do not have noisy compressors.
You can buy quiet models or models with a quiet setting that allow you to reduce fan speed for a peaceful night’s sleep or distraction-free TV viewing. Keep in mind, however, that even quiet models can be quite noisy when used on high or turbo settings.
Filters assist your desiccant dehumidifier in operating at peak efficiency. Some models also include air-cleaning, anti-bacterial filters, or ionisers to help purify the air. Buying a model with a built-in filter is a great extra that can help improve your family’s health and well-being, especially if you have allergies.
Desiccant dehumidifiers are an excellent way to improve your comfort and health, particularly during the winter months when many of us close our windows and dry our laundry inside.
The EcoAir DD1 Simple is the best overall choice for the best desiccant dehumidifier to reduce the humidity levels in your home. Its high-performance 7-litre per day extraction capacity makes it ideal for use in high-humidity rooms like your laundry room. Furthermore, depending on your needs, you can switch between Eco- and Turbo-mode, and it is a safe and suitable model for most homes thanks to its various safety mechanisms, including tilt protection and automatic water full shut down.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!