Best Egg Poaching Pan
Many people have asked me for instructions on how to use an egg poaching pan.
I understand that a perfectly shaped, beautifully cooked poached egg may be made without the assistance of a cheating pan, but when you consider how few people have access to really fresh eggs these days, you can see why the pan is so popular.
Plus, an egg poacher is the answer for folks who aren’t interested in the mechanics and finer points of poaching an egg, students, or anyone who wants an egg that isn’t fried and doesn’t require winkling out of its shell.
The biggest benefit is that you won’t have to worry about how old your eggs are if you use a poaching pan.
The fresher the better, but if you have a few who are about to claim their pensions, there’s no need to scramble them; your trusted poacher will have them ready for you, regardless of their age.
It’s actually quite simple: the pan comes with (typically) four little plastic cups that sit inside a metal framework that fits into the top of a small, shallow frying pan.
In essence, you put water in the pan, reassemble the framework and cups (work of seconds), and then, while the water heats (on the cooker hob, or over a campfire – I rule nothing out), you crack your egg(s) into the cup(s), replace the lid, and wait (patiently, this isn’t a microwave, you know) until the egg is set to your preference, at which point you upturn the cup and, assuming you’ve greased the cup.
One thing I’ll make clear is that timings vary depending on factors such as the size of your egg, whether you keep your eggs in the fridge or not (keeping them in the fridge means they’ll take a little longer because they’re cold when they come in the pan), and how your cooker operates.
So you might have to try a few times before you obtain the ideal poached egg.
If the first one or two attempts aren’t exactly correct, don’t give up; simply alter the timings (less time for a runnier yolk, more time for a tougher yolk) and try again.
Is that clear?
So, if you require step-by-step directions, I’ve provided these as well.
Ingredients are as follows:
from 1 to 4 eggs (basically either as many as you want -v- as many as your pan can hold)
cold water, a knob of butter, a tsp of olive oil, or coconut oil – a fat of your choice
To begin, remove the cups and supporting frame, then pour a half-inch of water into the pan’s bottom.
Place the pan over the heat source, replace the cup frame, cover, and turn the heat up to high.
Smoosh whichever fat you choose around the inside of each cup you’ll be using – just a little, to ease the egg back out when it’s done.
Remove the lid once the water has reached a boil, replace the cups in their holes, and crack one egg into each cup.
Replace the lid and wait for the eggs to finish cooking.
This is usually an excellent time to make a toast.
You don’t want the water to boil all the way, but you also don’t want it to merely simmer.
Allow it to become a little rowdy in there.
The eggs will turn white and opaque as they boil, and they will cook from the outside in.
To test them, use a rounded knife tip to gently touch the yolk.
If it yields but doesn’t shimmy like a jelly (indicating that it needs more cooking) – it should be firm – it’s done, and you’re likely to have a runny yolk.
If you prefer your eggs to be more set, the tougher the yolk will be the more firm the centre of each poached egg becomes.
For a large egg, I normally wait 7-9 minutes, but I prefer my yolks to be lovely and runny.
Anyway, when you believe you’re ready, take each cup out (holding the cup with a tea towel helps prevent burns or scalds), run a knife down the edge of the egg to release it, then flip it upside down onto your toast with a flick of the wrist.
Season with salt and black pepper to taste, then dig in!
Poached Eggs FAQ
How do you know when poached eggs are ready?
Remove one carefully from the pan with a slotted spoon and gently push it with a teaspoon to see whether it’s done.
If it feels too soft (trust your instincts), return it to the water and let the eggs another minute or two to firm up.
Can you poach just egg yolk?
Drop egg yolks into a saucepan of hot water and cook for one minute (or less) until desired consistency is achieved.
Break the yolk and place it on top of the muffin to allow it to soak in.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Is poached egg better than boiled?
Shorter and lower-heat cooking procedures result in less cholesterol oxidation and help to keep the majority of the nutrients in the egg.
As a result, poached and boiled (hard or soft) eggs can be the healthiest option.
These cooking methods also don’t add any more calories to the equation.
Are poached eggs always runny?
A perfect poached egg has a firm white and a runny but gooey yolk.
Cook for 2 minutes if you want runny eggs, 3 minutes if you want a set white with a runny yolk, and 4 minutes if you want a more well-done egg with a soft yolk.
What does vinegar do for poached eggs?
When vinegar is added to the poaching water, the whites harden up even more quickly, preventing them from dispersing in the water.
Can I poach eggs without vinegar?
You can poach an egg without using vinegar if you use lemon juice instead.
Lemon juice may impart a slight lemon flavour to your egg, but it serves the same purpose as vinegar in poaching eggs.
Should eggs be room temperature before poaching?
Bring the eggs to room temperature before poaching them for the best poached eggs.
Because cold eggs lower the temperature of the water, the cooking process will be slowed.
How do you stop poached eggs from sticking to the pan?
Use a poaching pan that has a nonstick surface, which most poaching pans do.
Brush some vegetable oil, olive oil, or softened butter into each poaching cup, or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
What can I have with poached eggs instead of bread?
Warm Spinach Salad with Poached Eggs
Poached Egg Burger
Arugula Pizza with Poached Eggs
Poached Egg with Baked Yogurt and Watercress
Poached Egg and Bacon Sandwich.
Poached Eggs on Spaghetti Marinara
What heat do you use to poach an egg?
Fill a medium saucepan with water to a height of at least 2 to 3 inches and heat over medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat to medium-low once the water has reached a simmer with only a few bubbles breaking the surface.
Maintain a temperature of 180°F (82°C) to 190°F (88°C).
The Best Egg Poacher Pans To Buy
- RELIABLE 'NO FRILLS' EGG PAN AND FRYING PAN AT A GREAT VALUE PRICE - all the key features you need to get day to day cooking done fast, easily and efficiently
- EXCELLENT RESULTS - pan is made from high grade aluminium for fast, even heat distribution on Gas, Halogen, Ceramic and Solid Plate hobs
- VERSATILE 2-in-1 EGG COOKER - use the plastic cups for perfect poached eggs or coddled eggs or lift out and use the non-stick frying pan for omelettes, fried eggs or scrambled eggs. Suitable for small to medium sized eggs
- EASY-CLEAN TEFLON NON-STICK COATING - food doesn't stick while it's cooking, and the pan is so easy to wash up afterwards - you can even put it in the dishwasher
- 5 YEAR GUARANTEE by Judge Homewares. Judge has been trusted by families all over the world for its traditional family values, high performance products and award-winning customer service
- FOUR REMOVABLE EGG TRAYS: The egg poacher includes 4 removable non-stick egg poacher cups. Allowing you to poach your eggs and transfer them to your plate for eating with ease.
- TWO IN ONE: The egg boiler can also double up as a frying pan. Allowing you to poach your eggs with the top tray in, then simply remove the tray and the piece makes great use as a non-stick coated frying pan.
- ALL HOBS: The egg pan can be used on all types of hobs. Whether you have an induction, gas or ceramic hob the pan is great to use on all types meaning you can easily use this piece in your kitchen.
- EASY TO USE: The piece is a real pleasure to use. With a stylish, easy-grip pan handle as well as the handle on the vented glass lad being easy to remove. Allowing smooth use of the pan. The piece is also dishwasher safe meaning after use the piece is easy to clean for re-use.
- LONG-LASTING PERFORMANCE: The piece is designed to be long-lasting and durable. A well built yet lightweight pan.
- Non Stick
- Dish washer Safe
- 4 egg poacher cups
- Vented Glass Lid
- Phenolic Handles & Knob
- MAKES TWO PERFECT POACHED EGGS IN MINUTES - simply fill with hot water, break an egg into the removable cup, and heat the pan until the egg is cooked
- USE AS AN EGG CODDLER OR SAUTE FRYING PAN - Designed in Bristol, England and made from mirror finish 18/10 stainless steel for excellent, long-lasting performance you can remove the cups and use as a saute pan or frying pan
- EASY-GRIP, COOL-TOUCH, OVEN-SAFE HANDLES - Phenolic handles don't conduct heat like metal does, so they stay cooler to the touch while your eggs are cooking
- INDUCTION-READY PAN - thick 'hot-forged' base ensures fast, even heat distribution on all kinds of stovetop including gas, halogen, ceramic, solid plate, induction or an aga
- 10 YEAR GUARANTEE by Judge Homewares. Judge has been trusted by families all over the world for its traditional family values, high performance products and award-winning customer service
- This Salter Marblestone Egg Pan is perfect for frying, scrambling and poaching eggs, a fantastic addition to your cookware collection.
- With four removable egg cups, the poaching pan has a marble-effect non-stick coating which allows you to cook with little or no oil.
- Cooking healthier breakfasts and dinners, this egg poacher is crafted from durable forged aluminium and is complete with a glass lid.
- Designed with users in mind, the egg pan is suitable for all hob types, including induction and features convenient soft-touch handles.
- Please ensure to precondition the egg cups before use, simply wipe with oil or butter and get cooking
- NEW & IMPROVED LARGER 75ml CUPS WITH PFOA ANTI-STICK COATING- The only Egg Poaching Pan that has a PFOA non-stick coating- From Eggs Benedict to Eggs Sardou Hard boiled eggs without the shell, Eggbits, the easy-to-use Deluxe Egg Poacher Pan lets you prepare up to 4 XL, perfectly poached eggs, so you can start your day the right way and enjoy a delicious, healthy breakfast without any hassle
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL AND PERFORMANCE - Unlike the delicate poacher pans on the market, this deluxe pan boasts a sturdy, heavy stainless steel body that is suitable for use with all stove types, including induction. Premium 3-PLY aluminum ENCAPSULATED bottom eliminates hot spots and provides fast, even heat distribution to ensure your eggs are always cooked evenly, so you never have to worry about over- or under-cooking your eggs.
- SAFE AND EASY TO USE- This deluxe poacher pan features a convenient Bakelite handle on the cups that makes it easier to handle than other brands. Upgraded, extra thick, tempered glass lid with Bakelite knob offers a secure, safe fit and lets you monitor your eggs during cooking while the innovative steam vent locks in the proper amount of moisture, so your eggs are always cooked perfectly and taste even better.
- HIGH-QUALITY POACHING CUPS AND CLEAN UP- Most poacher pans feature either plastic insert cups that are susceptible to melting and dont cook the eggs well or non stainless steel material affecting the quality of the functioning. This egg cooker features convenient nonstick cooking surfaces that are stainless steel and individual insert cups that can be easily removed, cleaned quickly, or put into the dishwasher, so you can get on with your day and not spend unwanted time cleaning up.
- MORE VERSATILTY AND STYLE FOR YOUR STOVETOP- Simply remove the insert with the individual poached egg cups, and use this egg poacher as a saut?pan to prepare other home cooked meals. With a sleek, polished look and an elegant satin line, you'll not only have a more practical cooking vessel but also an added touch of style for your stovetop.
- Poach up to 4 eggs at once for quick and healthy 2-person breakfasts with this clever poaching pan
- 4 non stick poaching cups, plus an extra deep carbon steel pan that won't boil dry and works on all hobs, induction included
- A toughened glass lid, so you can see what's cooking, and a tray insert - remove the tray, and it doubles as a saute pan
- These ensure you don't burn your fingers, while the knobs on the cups make for easy removal with no split yolks
- his 4 egg poacher pan measures 21 cm (8½ Inch) in diameter
- NEW & IMPROVED LARGER 75ml CUPS WITH PFOA FREE ANTI-STICK COATING- The only Egg Poaching Pan that has a PFOA free non-stick coating- From Eggs Benedict to Eggs Sardou Hard boiled eggs without the shell, Eggbits, the easy-to-use Deluxe Egg Poacher Pan lets you prepare up to 6 XL, perfectly poached eggs, so you can start your day the right way and enjoy a delicious, healthy breakfast without any hassle
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL AND PERFORMANCE – Unlike the delicate poacher pans on the market, this deluxe pan boasts a sturdy, heavy stainless steel body that is suitable for use with all stove types, including induction. Premium 3-PLY aluminum ENCAPSULATED bottom eliminates hot spots and provides fast, even heat distribution to ensure your eggs are always cooked evenly, so you never have to worry about over- or under-cooking your eggs.
- SAFE AND EASY TO USE- This deluxe poacher pan features a QUICK-COOL BAKELITE KNOB on the cups that makes it easier to handle than other brands. Upgraded, EXTRA THICK, TEMPERED GLASS LID with Bakelite knob offers a secure, safe fit and lets you monitor your eggs during cooking while the innovative steam vent locks in the proper amount of moisture, so your eggs are always cooked perfectly and taste even better.
- HIGH-QUALITY POACHING CUPS AND CLEAN UP- Most poacher pans feature either plastic insert cups that are susceptible to melting and dont cook the eggs well or aluminum cups that don’t function as well. This egg cooker features convenient nonstick cooking surfaces that are polished stainless steel and individual insert cups that can be easily removed, cleaned quickly, or put into the dishwasher, so you can get on with your day and not spend unwanted time cleaning up.
- MORE VERSATILTY AND STYLE FOR YOUR STOVETOP- Simply remove the insert with the individual poached egg cups, and use this egg poacher as a sauté pan to prepare other home cooked meals. With a sleek, polished look and an elegant satin line, you'll not only have a more practical cooking vessel but also an added touch of style for your stovetop.
- POACHED EGGS MADE EASY: Cook up healthy eggs in minutes with this robust, stainless steel 4 egg poacher pan
- NON STICK POACHING CUPS: It features 4 BPA free pods, which leave nicely formed eggs that release immediately, with no broken yolks
- WON'T BOIL DRY OR RUIN EGGS: The extra deep design means it can hold more water for poaching, and makes it ideal for sautéing too
- SAFELY REMOVE POACHED EGGS: Each pod has a handle to make lifting them from the hot pan pain-free and easy
- USEFUL INFO: Suitable for all hobs, including induction; dishwasher safe; 15 years guarantee
- QUALITY EGG POACHER – Perfect for egg lovers, this top quality pan produces excellent results and comes equipped with everything you need to poach eggs in an efficient manner; the poacher is made up of cups, pan and a lid. The quality manufacturing ensures optimal performance at all times, ensuring you receive perfectly poached, fabulously fried or scrumptious scrambled eggs when you’re hungry.
- STAINLESS STEEL – Made from strong stainless steel, the poacher pan is built for the long haul. The hard-wearing material is capable of handling regular usage as well as rigorous cleaning, making it a worthwhile investment for your kitchen.
- COOK EGGS HEALTHILY – The poacher uses water to envelop the eggs, poaching them in a healthy manner. This egg friendly tool is perfect for anyone looking to increase their protein intake or simply wants to enjoy eating eggs without having to apply calorie-rich oils.
- HOLDS 4 EGGS – This egg poacher pan has an egg holding capacity of four. Ideal for cooking a tasty and nutritious morning breakfast for the family, the four poaching cups included ensure that each egg is fully cooked through-out.
- NON-STICK PAN – There’s no risk of unsightly and messy residue undermining the egg poacher’s quality as the pan is non-stick. Inferior products often require a lot of scraping which can wear and harm the pan, but the non-stick properties ensure quality after each use.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!