Best electric blanket
Looking to buy the best electric blanket? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the right one for you.
When the weather becomes chilly, you might think about investing in an electric blanket, especially if your home isn’t properly insulated or if you’re one of those people who insists on sleeping with the window open for fresh air, even when it’s freezing outside.
A standard duvet won’t enough, and you’ll need a little more warmth to keep your toes from falling off.
Furthermore, there’s something depressing about slipping into a cold, unheated bed on a cold winter night.
An electric blanket can warm your bed before you get in, or it can help you keep a consistent temperature until the alarm goes off.
Electric blankets used to be known for being heavy and uncomfortable, but newer versions are thinner and lighter, as well as safer and more efficient, making them suitable for daily use.
Regardless, you’ll want to pick carefully to ensure that you obtain a dependable bedwarmer.
What factors should you consider before selecting an electric blanket?
I’m not sure how much I’ll need to spend.
A cheap approach to stay warm at night is to use an electric blanket.
Larger blankets obviously cost more, but a good king-size blanket from a big brand can be had for under £30; even the more feature-packed options are under £100.
The expense of running a hotel is usually between 1p and 4p each night.
Is it safe to use electric blankets?
The prospect of waking up on fire in the middle of the night isn’t likely to warm you up to the notion of purchasing an electric blanket, and many people are put off by safety concerns.
Electric blankets, on the other hand, are entirely safe if purchased from a reputable brand and retailer.
When purchasing an electric blanket, ensure that it is purchased from a reputable supplier and that it bears the UK safety standard label.
That implies you should avoid buying used blankets because they may not fulfil current safety regulations.
There are a few things you should avoid doing with the blanket to keep yourself as safe as possible.
If the blanket is still folded or crumpled, don’t use it.
Using a hot water bottle at the same time is not a good idea.
Make sure the blanket doesn’t become wet.
To keep the blanket in place on the bed, don’t use pins or insert them.
What are the different types of electric blankets?
Heated mattress covers or pads that go on top of the mattress but beneath the sheets, warming you and the duvet from below are the most common type of blanket.
Meanwhile, an overblanket is a blanket that fits within your duvet cover and keeps you warm from above; some variants even replace your duvet completely.
It’s primarily a question of personal opinion, but memory foam mattress manufacturers frequently advise against heated pads since they limit the mattress’s capacity to mould to your body and risk damaging the foam itself in the long run.
What are the distinctions between blankets?
Electric blankets all warm your bed, but they differ in terms of how long they take to heat up and how much temperature control you have.
Some warm up in less than five minutes, while others take much longer.
If your blanket has a timer and your bedtimes are consistent, this isn’t a problem, but it’s something to consider.
All blankets feature a number of heat settings, which can range from three to twelve.
More modern blankets may have separate settings for different zones, allowing you to have extra heat for your feet or distinct heat levels for the two sides of a double bed.
What else should I be on the lookout for?
Beyond that, consider the materials: do you want a flat underblanket or something warm and cuddly?
Then there are the practical considerations, such as cable length and control location.
These are typically basic plastic modules linked to the side of the blanket by a cable, however some are removable to enable washing or cleaning the blanket easier.
Although not all blankets can be tumble-dried, being machine-washable is certainly a plus.
Finally, it’s always a good idea to double-check safety features.
A BEAB Approved Mark is required, indicating that the blanket has been thoroughly tested, and you should also seek for features like an overheating safety cutout or an automatic shutdown to ensure that you don’t leave your blanket on all day by mistake.
The best electric blankets you can buy
- 🤗🤗🤗 120x160cm of warmth got you covered entirely in cold days ▶️ Mia&Coco electric heated throw blanket has 10 temperature settings and 9 levels of Auto-Off timer, made with Flannel & Sherpa, so you can enjoy a comfortable winter.
- 👍👍👍 Soft & Comfortable ▶️ Made with Flannel & Sherpa to offer great warmth keeping performance and skin-friendly experience, no cold feel while touching even heating not started yet.
- 👌👌👌 10 Temperature levels, 9-hours Auto-Off Timer for safety and energy-saving ▶️ Through the controller, you get 10 options of target temperature from 1, 2, to 9 and H (25°C to 53°C), and the timer allows you to set hours to shut off.
- 🏆🏆🏆 Safe to Use with ETL-Certificate ▶️ This heating pads are made with premium material and built to be of high quality, you can use it with confidence if use according to the User Manual.
- ✔️✔️✔️ Machine-Wash-able ▶️ You can detach the cord and wash this blanket by hand or by machine by following the guide on User Manual.
- SUPER COSY: Made from super snuggly fleece material to keep you extra warm and cosy
- ULTRA FAST HEAT UP: Control your comfort with fast heat up and 3 heat settings
- SLEEP SAFE: Features overheat protection for total peace of mind
- AFFORDABLE COMFORT: Costing from just 1p a night to run you can afford to keep your bed warm and cosy all night long
- EASY FIT STRAPS: The new and improved easy fit straps provide an easy secure fit
- With an automatic switch-off function in 10 hours, electric throw blanket provides additional safety without overheating accident to avoid damage.
- Reasonable three temperature settings of electric blanket maintain the heat flexibility to meet versatile usage needs.
- Electric blanket single with fleece fabric brings comfort and warmth throughout the night to fall asleep well.
- Involved with ties around it, which can intimately keep the heated blanket in place firmly without moving.
- Machine wash separately on a gentle cycle in cold water after removing the plug and controller, tumble dry with low heat. Certified by UKCA, which can confirm the quality and safety.
- 【Warm and comfortable】The heated blanket uses warming and breathable coral fleece combined with neat and delicate hemming design that provides double comfort, soft touch, and full-body coverage, keeping you warm for deep sleep on cold nights, this double-sided soft-touch heating blanket is perfect for keeping you comfortable on the sofa and bed.
- 【Easy & Multi-scene use】A simple press at the controller allows you to access 6 levels of heat and 3 auto timers, customizing your comfort and warmth quickly. 3-hour automatically off ensures safe use without worries.
- 【Charming & Magical Heated Blanket】An “air-conditioned type” heating blanket: not only does it satisfy your warmth needs in winter, but it also can be used in spring and autumn with the controller detached. Keep warm and prevent overheating, leaving you most comfortable.
- 【Machine Washable】Hand or machine wash the product in the water below 30℃. Non-fade, non-deformed and non-pilling, bringing you fresh warming experiences every time. Please detach the controller before wash, do not dry clean), keep the blanket clean so that you can use it more at ease.
- 【Caring Gift】 Offering endless coziness at any time you want, and is a caring gift for your friends and family.
- The size of the heating blanket is 130*180cm, double-faced plush with one side of flannel and the other side of Sherpa plush, which is enough for 2 people. Perfectly fits the body and locks in the heat to further keep warm. Removed the controller, it can also be used as an ordinary blanket, suitable for home and office, etc.
- The heating blanket provides 4 heating levels (82°F-118°F) so that users can set the desired temperature according to their preferences. It is recommended that when starting to use, the heating level should be set to the highest level to speed up the heating and get warmth in a short time.
- The 9-hour shutdown function makes it safer and more energy-efficient to use. If you need to continue heating, you can turn it back on. The overheating protection automatically turns off the heating function when the blanket exceeds a certain temperature.
- The high-quality heating wires are evenly distributed in the electric blanket, and there is a fixed layer to prevent the heating wires from shifting. The even and continuous heat allows you to sleep all night peacefully. Equipped with a 3-meter-long power cord, it provides more free space for use.
- The heating blanket can be hand-washed or machine-washed. It is soft and durable and will not fade or deform. Please remove the controller before cleaning. Please do not use a dryer, just dry it naturally.
- Super Soft & Cozy - Get that warm and comfortable sleep with our large thick soft quality throw, no more cold knees and feet on chilly nights. You can feel it radiate the warmth throughout your body and say goodbye to aches and pains.Made of super-soft and warm fabric, it has a coral-fleece on the inside and flannel on the other side. It also has nice stitching unlike others, ensuring you premium quality that is built to last.The neutral colour will surely go with any colour scheme of your home.
- 9 Heat Settings & Up to 9H Timer - Have a peace of mind in case you had a good sleep and forget to unplug your heated throw, as it is equipped with up to 9 hour programmable timer function.Once the desired time has reached, the heated throw will turn off. With 9 adjustable settings, control the heat from the controller to pick, so you can find the correct temperature that you desire.It is simple to use and very effective, giving varying degrees of heat, depending on your need.
- Full-body Comfort & Fast Heating - No more struggle to keep your toes warm on chilly nights, our heated throw is a great size, ensuring your feet are covered and even has plenty of room for others to share. Measuring 130x160cm the full-body heated throw has a soft surface that is smooth and soothing to the touch and 250 gsm fabric that surely keeps one warm.Features efficient and even heat penetration and preservation, ideal for relaxing your aching muscles and joints.
- Machine Washable & Easy Care - Our heated throw is a machine washable and dryer safe for your convenience.The remote control and cable are fully detachable allowing this heated throw to be washed at cool temperatures, just make sure to disconnect and remove controllers before washing. You can easily and quickly unplug the controls and just put it in the wash when needed, it's very easy to disconnect. You can enjoy the clean and fresh, electric heated throw’s soft fleece fabric for years to come.
- Safety Features - Your safety is always our priority. It comes with a Safety Overheat Protection allowing you to use your throw throughout the night with a peace of mind. Beautiful and elegant heated throw that will keep you warm and safe at the same time. Our product has CE markings that declare that products comply with the EU's New Approach Directives; it is the European health, safety, performance and environmental requirements and also it is inspected by SGS.
- LUXURY MICRO FLEECE: The UK’s #1 heated throw and electric blanket brand - Made with a warm and fluffy micro-fleece fabric, this double-sided and soft-touch heated throw is perfect for keeping you cosy on the sofa, settee or in bed and on both freezing cold winter nights and warmer summer days.
- 9HR TIMER & 9 HEAT SETTINGS: A 9-Hour programmable timer function with an automatic cut-off feature allows the throw to turn off after a desired period of time. Perfect for when you fall asleep or if you forget to unplug your heated blanket. 9 adjustable heat settings provide complete temperature control for unrivalled comfort, whatever the weather. Stay cosy and save on your energy bills with a running cost of 2.8p per hour based on the latest UK energy tariff.
- EXTRA LARGE & WARM: Large enough for 2 adults, this 160x130cm heated throw blanket allows you and another person (or alone) to wrap yourselves up and stay warm, and is even large enough to cover your feet. Integrated heating elements woven into the soft-touch fabric deliver consistent consistent and efficient heat, perfect for relaxing or soothing aching muscles and joints.
- MACHINE WASHABLE & DURABLE: Our electric heated throw is 100% machine washable for your convenience. The remote control and cable are fully detachable, allowing this versatile heated throw to be washed over and over again, ensuring the fabric remains clean and fresh for many years.
- ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES: With any heating device, safety is of paramount importance. That is why all Cosi Home heated throws and electric blankets feature an advanced overheat protection system, and are fully CE compliant with UK & European regulations.
- SUPER KING PREMIUM DIAMOND QUILTED LUXURY SOFT COTTON FABRIC: Sumptuously soft, opulently cosy diamond-quilted high quality cotton fabric that adds a touch of class and luxury to your bed, keeping you warm in the winter and cool in the summer, a real exquisite luxurious finish - all of which contribute to a peaceful cosy night's sleep all year round
- USER FRIENDLY DIMMABLE DUAL CONTROLS: With illuminated dimmable simple to use dual controls that offer 9 heat settings, 10 timer settings and an ultra fast heat up time, you can use your Glamhaus Premium Electric Blanket in all seasons and tailor the heat and timer settings to suit your individual needs on your side of the bed
- INDIVIDUAL BODY & FEET SETTINGS: Advanced Body & Feet Heat Technology can help those in particular who suffer with arthritis and circulation problems offering soothing heat. Set the blanket to warm the body, feet or both together - both controllers are easily detachable from the electric blanket allowing it to be machine washable at 30°c
- DEEP ELASTICATED SKIRT: With its unique and durable design the deep elasticated skirt is designed to easily fit and secure to any depth mattress with ease. Also the diamond quilted fabric with ultra thin, non-obtrusive wires offer a super comfortable, undisturbed sleep
- ALL GLAMHAUS ELECTRIC BLANKETS: are safe for all night use, are fully CE certified and RoHS compliant to the highest UK standards by a European Recognised Testing House. Also with Built In Advanced Overheat Protection System and Automatic Safety Shut Off for your peace of mind. Dimensions: Length 203 cm x Width 182 cm x Skirt 40cm
- NAVARIS AND CHILL: Keep yourself extra warm and cosy while relaxing on the sofa or working in the office with an electric sleeved blanket. The blanket has sleeves so that you can conveniently read, work or move around without it sliding off.
- ELECTRIC HEATING: Once you plugin the blanket, simply turn it on and select a temperature setting (between 1 and 9). The blanket automatically turns off after 20 minutes. Alternatively, set the timer for 1 to 3 hours.
- GENEROUS SIZING: Measuring 195 x 125 cm, this adult-sized blanket with sleeves is perfect for men and women who hate being cold. Buy one for yourself or give as a gift.
- SAFETY FIRST: This electric heated throw comes with a shut-off timer, so you can rest easy without worrying about fires or burns.
- HOW TO WASH: Remove the cable before washing. Wash by hand or on the handwashing programme of your washing machine.
- This premium king size electric blanket received a national, well known award for its outstanding features, easy to use controllers and unique, luxurious fleece finish - all of which contribute to a peaceful, warm and cosy night's sleep all year round for years to come
- With illuminated dual controls, 9 heat settings, 10 timer settings and an ultra fast heat up time, you can use your Homefront Premium Electric Blanket in all seasons and tailor the heat and timer settings to suit you
- The controllers have Individual Body & Feet Heat Technology which help those in particular who suffer with arthritis and circulation problems - both controllers are detachable from the electric blanket allowing it to be machine washable at 30°c
- Unique and durable design with a fully fitted, deep, elasticated skirt to ensure a secure fit to your mattress with ultra thin, non-obtrusive wires for a super comfortable, undisturbed sleep
- All Homefront Electric Blankets are safe for all night use, are CE certified and RoHS compliant to the highest UK standards by a European Recognised Testing House with Built In Advanced Overheat Protection System and Automatic Safety Shut Off for your peace of mind
Electric Blanket FAQS
Can I Use an Electric Blanket with a Memory Foam Mattress?
Both yes and no. On top of your memory foam mattress, we don’t advocate utilising a fitted electric blanket. This is because the bulky blanket can interfere with the contouring of your memory foam, preventing you from getting the most out of your pricey mattress. Heat can also harm some forms of memory foam, though this is uncommon.
We propose utilising a heated throw if you want the dream combo of a memory foam mattress and an electric blanket. These throws go on top of your duvet, so they’ll keep you warm without interfering with your mattress’s performance.
How Do I Fit an Electric Blanket?
The majority of electric blankets are made to fit your mattress. To hug the mattress, they can utilise elastic straps, tie tapes, or elastic skirts (like a fitted sheet) – elastic skirts providing the tightest fit of the three. Before you buy, double-check which one your blanket utilises — for the record, all of our blankets have an elasticated skirt!
If you have a cloth mattress topper, place it on the bed first. After that, place your electric blanket on top, followed by your thin bottom sheet. After that, pull your duvet over your head and you’re ready for a restful night’s sleep!
How Much Do Electric Blankets Cost to Run?
We could all do with reducing the amount of energy we use. Even if you’re not a particularly eco-friendly person, using less energy means a lower electricity bill, so it’s a good idea to check how much power your electric blanket uses. The good news is that heated blankets use barely any energy as they don’t actually get that hot – most will only heat up to around 45°C, for example. As they’re heavily insulated by cosy fabric and usually fitted underneath your duvet, it doesn’t take much for them to heat up to a comfortable level. Our electric blankets will let you keep warm for around 1p per night.
Are Electric Blankets Safe?
Your blanket is totally safe as long as it is less than ten years old and isn’t threadbare or damaged. Overheat protection is built into all current blankets, which shuts them down if they get too hot.
Can I Use an Electric Blanket All Night?
You definitely can! In fact, most fitted electric blankets are designed for exactly this. They’re fitted with thermostats and overheat safety systems to stop them from getting too hot, so you can drift off to sleep in peace. If you don’t want to use your blanket all night, many models are fitted with countdown timers which will allow you to turn them off through the night.
Can I Use Electric Blankets When I’m Pregnant?
Yes! Electric blankets are said to emit an electromagnetic field (EMF) that can harm an unborn baby. While they do emit electromagnetic fields, they are no more powerful than those produced by other household appliances and will have no effect on your kid.
During the last month of your pregnancy, we recommend putting the blanket away in case your waters break in the middle of the night.
How Do I Clean an Electric Blanket?
Because most new electric blankets have detachable controllers, they are safe to wash in the washing machine. You don’t need to be concerned because the only thing the blankets contain is the heating element wire, which is not affected by water. However, we recommend using a mild, cold (or 30°C) spin cycle to protect your blanket. When drying an electric blanket on the line, be careful because the water weight can strain the cloth. If the fabric is stretched too far, the heating elements can be displaced, resulting in hot and cold spots in your bed.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!