Looking to buy the best Garden Shredder? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Hedge pruning, vegetable garden cleanup, leaf cleanup…all of these garden chores have one thing in common: you end up with more than you started with.
You’ll want to dispose of this yard garbage in the most cost-effective and efficient way possible, whether it’s a mound of leaves, hedge clippings, or a combination of everything from fallen branches to kitchen waste.
A trip to the local dump may not be the most enticing of adventures every time you do some gardening, and merely filling up the brown wheelie bin is, to put it bluntly, a “waste of your garden waste”!
Mulched leaves and branches, if correctly handled, would generate great compost in about a year, saving you money by not having to spend your hard-earned money on bagged garden centre goods.
Garden shredders and chippers are the first tools you should seek for if you want to turn your garden waste into compost.
In the United Kingdom, there are a variety of garden shredders available, some of which are significantly superior to others.
When determining which machine is ideal for your needs, keep in mind that the cheapest shredder is not always the best bargain!
Consider how much garbage you’ll be processing in a year, the type of waste you’ll be processing, and how often you’ll be using a garden shredder.
The size of your plot, as well as the number of trees and plants that require continual care, will impact your decision.
Electric Garden Shredder
If you have a small to medium-sized garden, such as one in a city or suburb, an electric garden shredder will usually suffice.
Because of their light weight, ease of use, and low pollution levels, electric shredders are by far the finest instrument for the majority of households.
They come in a range of shapes and sizes, but they can usually be divided into two categories: drum or quiet garden shredders and impact garden shredders.
The differences between the two designs are straightforward: the quiet version uses a crushing principle, with a vertical rotating wheel or drum with hardened raised ridges working against a flat plate, the wheel gripping and pulling the waste product into the mechanism and crushing it against the flat plate with the raised edges cutting into the waste material.
An impact garden shredder works in a more aggressive manner, with a disc or cassette set at roughly 45 degrees and equipped with 2–3 sharp blades rotating at a high speed, cutting into the material being fed down the delivery chute with brute force.
Although it may appear obvious, the impact shredder is noisier than the quiet shredder.
The advantage of the noisy method is the materials that may be processed by an impact shredder: loose leaves and green growth, as well as branches and other woody garden trash, are all acceptable.
The quiet garden shredder, on the other hand, is not well suited to the processing of loose or green waste, owing to the fact that the crush and cut mechanism has virtually no effect on something that is already flat or has a high moisture content, such as loose leaves or fresh Brussels sprout stalks.
A quiet or silent shredder, on the other hand, will be great if you need to dispose of a lot of fibrous, woody trash on a regular basis, especially if you have a lot of easily irritated neighbours!
For a long time, we have thought that the Bosch garden shredders were at the top of the industry, providing an unparalleled mix of value, performance, and reliability that isn’t found in many of the low-cost devices available online.
The Flymo garden shredder is a less fashionable but no less reliable option, delivering outstanding value for a machine that offers performance generally associated with higher prices.
Petrol Garden Shredder
A petrol lawn shredder is the way to go if you have a vast garden and need to move your shredding machine away from an electrical power source.
Petrol shredders are more powerful, have higher throughput rates, and are more durable than mains-powered machines, providing flexibility that a mains-powered machine cannot match.
The disadvantage of this increased power and flexibility is the higher weight that comes with a petrol engine, not to mention the increased emissions, both in terms of noise and chemical contaminants.
However, Eliet, a Belgian firm that makes anything from commercial chippers to heavy-duty lawn shredders and smaller machines for residential use, makes one of the best petrol garden shredders on the market today.
The Eliet Primo and Eliet Maestro belong to the latter type, and depending on the size of your garden, they are both excellent mulching machines that will produce high-quality compost.
The Eliet Neo and Eliet Neo2 are an exception to the rule that electric shredders cannot match the performance of larger, more expensive petrol machines.
Both of these equipment will outperform many comparably sized petrol machines when powered by an electrical power supply.
However, if you want one, you’ll have to dig deep into your wallet — they’re nearly twice as pricey as some of the best mains-powered options on the market!
- Fitted with 2200 W Bosch PowerDrive motor
- Patented large capacity hopper for quick and easy feed
- Practical plunger for increased material throughput
- 40 mm high precision laser-cut, twin edged blade, reversible for extended life, lightweight with wheels for easy transportation
- Ships in certified frustration-free packaging, fitted with motor overload/restart protection and 2 years parts and labour guarantee
- Powerful 3000W impact shredder
- Two reversible, hardened steel blades shred branches, brambles, and shrubs to a fine mulch
- Integrated handle and large wheels for easy movement around the garden
- Large container holds up to 55L of shredded material
- Safety plunger pushes green material into the shredder and keeps fingers away from the cutting blades
- The small shredder has a powerful 2400W Hyundai motor that makes wood chipping quick and easy.
- Comes with a detachable collection bag: For a no-mess solution to collect chippings as you go
- This shredder machine has 4200rpm speed: Shred wood with a diameter of up to 4.5cm.
- Has a generous 10m power cable: Plenty of cable to stop you having to reach for an extension socket
- Only weighs 10.3kg: Lightweight & the wheeled design makes it so easy to move around your garden.
- Turbo cutting system instead of rotating blades - high hardness steel eight blade speed 40rpm, can easily cut tough wood materials
- Adjustable blade - maximum cutting diameter of 45mm
- Safety - with multiple protections (waterproof body, overload protection, safety switch, interlock design)
- Quiet and convenient - 55L large capacity collection box and less than 92dB low noise
- EASY ASSEMBLY TO USE - The pusher plate helps you push the branches into the shredder and comes with 2 wheels for easy movement
- Impressive power: the 2800w powerful hyundai motor makes lightwork of garden clearance, making wood chipping quick and easy with power you can count on when you need it most
- Detachable collection bag: the large detachable collection bag allows you to keep all your wood chippings in one place and allows you to dispose of them quickly and easily
- Flat push stick included: designed with safety in mind, the electric shredder comes with a flat push stick so you can easily make light work of any overhanging branches while protecting your hands and arms at all times
- Lightweight and compact: weighing just 20.80 kg and with its portable wheeled design the hych2800es can be easily manoeuvred making it user friendly and a no fuss machine
- Power cable : the hych2800es comes with a 10m power cable allows you flexibility to move the shredder to put you in control of any job around the garden
- For effective operation the Einhell GC-KS 2540 electric shredder has two long-lasting, robust reversible blades made of special steel which are driven by a powerful 2,500 W motor.
- The large funnel opening means it is convenient to use and makes it easy to feed in the material you want to shred, for branches up to 40 mm in diameter.
- The funnel has a safety interlock and can be swung down for cleaning and maintenance. There is a motor circuit breaker for protection against overloading.
- The electric shredder can be transported quickly and easily in the garden and home grounds thanks to the wheels and robust chassis. An integrated practical transport handle makes this even easier.
- The shredder has a shredder debris bag which is fitted quickly and easily on a hook.
- Powerful Engine: 420cc / 14hp Hyundai heavy duty electric start 4-stroke engine.
- 2 Blade drum mechanism: designed to draw in and chip branches up to 10cm.
- Our chipper comes with 2 large wide pneumatic tyres & front handles for easy manoeuvrability.
- Also comes with ATV towing removable bar: for remote locations.
- Extensive Warranty: Covered by Hyundai UK 3 year platinum warranty & full UK service and parts.
- POWERFUL 2500W MOTOR - ideal for shredding garden waste, quickly and efficiently producing shredded material to compost or use as chippings on borders. The 40mm branch diameter capacity means it can cope with even larger garden waste.
- AUTO-FEED & REVERSE - easy to use controls allow the operator to control the shredder with simplicity. Jams are quickly cleared with the reverse function.
- LARGE COLLECTOR - the 50 litre transparent collector makes the whole process relatively fuss free, collecting shredded material.
- QUIET DRUM TECHNOLOGY - use of a drum cutting system makes shredding much quieter than other alternative systems. Simple adjustment of the anvil position ensures an efficient cutting process.
- TRANSPORT WHEELS - moving the shredder from the garage or shed is made considerably easier with the integrated wheels. 2 Year Warranty (domestic use)
- The 2500W shredder comes with two sharp blades that feature a max cutting thickness of 40mm.
- Feed cuttings into the shredder gradually and wait for it to emerge shredded underneath.
- Motor power: 2500W - Blades x 2 - Wheels x 2 - Safety switch - Safety guard
- Max cutting thickness: 40mm - Speed without load: 4500RPM - Capacity: 50L - Sound power LwA: 110
- Cable length: 3m - Product Size: 62.5cm X 29.5cm X 37.5cm - Weight: 11.5kg - More below ....
- POWERFUL GARDEN SHREDDER: Equipped with a powerful 2500W motor and two robust and easy to clean blades, our electric wood shredder can effortlessly crush branches and shrubs up to a diameter of 40mm. The chopped material is especially useful for mulching garden beds
- SAFETY: This garden shredder features a circuit breaker that offers overload and restarts protection and prevents the motor from operating when opened. The on/off button is covered with insulating plastic to ensure the safety
- EASY TO USE: The shredder has a 50L large shredder debris bag which is fitted quickly and easily on a hook and can effectively prevent wood scraps from splashing. The included pusher helps you push the branches without hurting your fingers
- PORTABLE: This electric wood chipper is easy to transport thanks to the practical carry handle and chassis with two Φ19.5cm wheels
- PRODUCT INFORMATION: 40L x 34W x 89Hcm. Assembly Required. (The exposed power cord is 35cm. Need to be equipped with a power cord or carry a portable power supply)
Features you should consider before buying
A garden shredder will need to be transported to various parts of the garden. The weight of the equipment also has an impact on its portability. So choose a chipper shredder that is light enough for you to handle. Otherwise, make sure you have a lawn tractor to transport it from one place to another.
There are two types of garden shredders, petrol and electricity. Each type has its own set of benefits and drawbacks. So choose an engine that complements the design and size of your garden.
Electric engines are extremely low-maintenance. It also gets up and running rapidly. However, it is suitable for minor chipping or shredding. It does, however, rely on an extension cord. As a result, the machine’s range is restricted. Unless you’re willing to spend the money for a portable generator.
A petrol garden shredder, on the other hand, is extremely portable and powerful. Petrol garden shredders, on the other hand, require more maintenance than their electric counterparts.
A garden shredder with many blades is a superior option. This is due to the fact that it detects less wear and tear on individual blades. This also means that blade sharpening and replacement are less frequent.
A garden shredder’s reduction ratio is crucial. It indicates how many bags of yard trash the equipment can accept as input in order to make one bag of mulch. The equipment, for example, could have an 11:1 reduction ratio. As a result, the shredder converts 11 bags of yard waste into one bag of mulch.
The garden shredder creates fine mulch if the reduction ratio is larger. However, whether you’re cutting wood or shredding leaves affects the reduction ratio.
A huge engine garden shredder generates a lot of noise. If your garden is located in a noise-restricted area, the noise element becomes even more important. An electric model is suitable in this situation. Furthermore, noise shielding is required for engines that produce more than 90dB.
What’s the difference between chipping and shredding?
Many people mix up the terms and think they imply the same thing. Organic limbs are chopped into tiny fragments using a chipper and shredder. There is, however, a little distinction.
A chipper is a machine that chops huge, hardwood branches into chips using sharp blades. The pace of decay of huge logs is accelerated when they are chiselled. A chipper has robust blades and a body to work on heavy logs and wood branches.
In addition, its blade spins at a high rate. As a result, chippers produce outstanding results on both wet and dry wood.
A shredder, on the other hand, has blades (flails) that aren’t as sharp as a chipper’s. Furthermore, it can only be used to break down soft greenwood and smaller branches. The flails rip the fabrics because the blades are blunt.
Despite the fact that a shredder works by tearing, it reduces the size of organic waste to microscopic proportions that compost more quickly. When comparing a chipper and a shredder, a chipper is better at dealing with huge, problematic organic materials. A shredder, on the other hand, shreds materials into finer fragments than a chipper.
A chipper shredder, on the other hand, performs both duties. All you have to do now is pick your preferred setting.
Do you need a shredder for compost?
A compost shredder, on the other hand, isn’t required. It is, nonetheless, worthwhile to consider purchasing one. This is due to the fact that it breaks down leaves into smaller pieces. As a consequence, you’ll have high-quality compost in no time. As a result, if you want to prepare compost in less time, a shredder is essential. However, without a shredder, decomposition of organic materials could take months.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!