Looking to buy the best garden vacuum? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
We’ve all been there: you’ve swept or blown the garden clean only to be confronted with a massive pile of leaves to deal with.
Garden vacuums are the greatest answer, sucking up material, mulching it, and compressing it so it can be thrown away with your garden waste or composted.
This makes the best garden vacuums a surprisingly efficient addition to your garden armoury, especially when you need to clean the lawn in the fall or sweep up after trimming your hedge.
A good garden vacuum will make even the most time-consuming gardening activities much easier.
Even better, many of them can also be used as a leaf blower, allowing you to consolidate your lawn-cleaning efforts into a single unit.
How do you pick the best garden vacuum?
The garden vacuum is a simple device that consists of a tube connected to a large impeller and a bag draped underneath.
The impeller collects the leaves and debris, breaks them down into mulch, and deposits them in the bag.
Because there isn’t much technology involved, the pricing can be relatively low.
Do I want a leaf blower or a lawn vacuum?
Why not have it both ways?
Because a garden vacuum functions similarly to a leaf blower in reverse, most models are dual-purpose or convertible, allowing you to blow or suck leaves with the flip of a switch or a quick fitting or removal of the tubes and bag.
You can pretend to be a council worker by gathering your leaves into a pile, then sucking the pile up for simple disposal.
Garden blowers are often smaller and lighter, but we believe the dual-purpose machines are worth the extra size and weight.
Garden vacuums are simple machines, so there’s not much to be concerned about.
The most important factor is how they are powered.
Mains-powered devices are dependable and strong, but they do have the drawback of tying you to a wall socket.
If you have a large lawn to mow, this involves lugging an extension cord everywhere.
Cordless models don’t have that issue, but they’re also not as powerful: you might have trouble shifting wet leaves, especially if they’ve been sitting on the lawn or driveway for a while.
Furthermore, you’ll normally get 15 to 30 minutes of labour out of them, which may not be sufficient.
Petrol models combine the best of both worlds, but you’ll have to store the (flammable) fuel in a shed or garage and return to the gas station to fill it off.
Because you’re dealing with a two-stroke engine, you’ll also need to mix it with oil. Failure to do so could result in damage before long.
Conversion and capacity
Other important considerations are the bag’s kind and volume, as well as the ease with which the machine can go from blower to vacuum modes.
Most garden vacuums employ a simple bag to contain leaves and debris, which is opened with a zip before the load is released into the bin.
Some budget models have a cheap-feeling and poorly built bag, allowing mulched leaves to cling in place in the materials or around the zip or seams, especially if wet.
It’s a minor detail, but it’s one that makes you swear when it’s time to clean up.
When it comes to changing modes, some models have a simple button that toggles between blower and vacuum, while others need you to remove and reattach tubes, bags, and handles.
However, because this makes the device more effective in each job, you must measure the inconvenience against the benefits.
Last but not least, pay attention to the weight and ergonomics.
Comfortable handles, carrying straps, and a low and evenly distributed weight are all worth paying for because these are massive, hefty machines that you’ll need to keep in place just above ground level.
Some low-cost models get around this by connecting wheels to the bottom of the tube, but try moving one about on a grass or driveway and you’ll discover it doesn’t work out so well.
Using a vacuum for the garden
Wet leaves are difficult to shift, block the nozzle, and give your vacuum a lot to chew through, so if you’ve had a lot of rain, it’s occasionally worth waiting a few days.
Blower your leaves and trash into piles, and blow them away from the gravel if you have a gravel walk or driveway before attempting to suck them up.
While a vacuum at its lowest setting will suck up lighter leaves from gravel, you don’t want to hear the noise one of these things makes when it sucks up any loose stones (or think about the damage they might do to the impeller).
Most importantly, don’t feel obligated to eat every last leaf.
It’s not your living room; it’s a garden.
You may also count on the wind blowing in something new to deal with just when you think you’ve finished.
Is there anything else I might require?
The powerful motors can be noisy and kick up a lot of debris, so the manufacturers recommend wearing ear and eye protection.
You’ll also need some robust gardening gloves and shoes.
If you’re using a mains-powered model, you’ll need an extension reel because even the longest of the included cords won’t be enough to let you travel freely.
For a petrol type, you’ll need an appropriate container to collect fuel from a filling station and two-stroke oil to convert regular unleaded into something the machine can use (a little bottle is sometimes supplied by the manufacturer to get you started).
If you don’t do this, you’ll end up with a lubrication failure, which will cause the engine to lock up due to increasing wear on the portions exposed to the fuel mixture.
The best garden vacuums you can buy
- THE ULTIMATE TIDYING TOOL – The VonHaus 3000W Leaf Blower is ideal for tidying lawns, patios, driveways and more. Its powerful 3000W motor blows, vacuums and mulches leaves into material suitable for composting. Please note this product is corded not cordless, it features a long reach 10m cable.
- MULCHING FEATURE – The garden vacuum compacts leaves in the generous zipped 35-litre capacity collection bag at a shredding ratio of 10:1, which means less time spent emptying the bag and more time making your garden clean and tidy.
- IMPRESSIVE FLOW RATE – Its powerful performance delivers optimum efficiency and ensures your garden will be looking neat and tidy in no time.
- HARNESS & WHEELS – Includes a shoulder strap harness and wheels allowing you to work in comfort for prolonged periods, a 10m power cable, as well as a thermal cut-out safety feature. Dimensions: (L) 119 x (W) 17 x (H) 32.5 cm. Weight: 3.56kg (although as the collection bag is filled the product will feel heavier).
- PERFORMANCE – For optimal performance use on dry leaves. When used on wet leaves the outlet into the collection bag can be prone to blocking. This would need manually unblocking by switching off and unplugging the leaf blower. Removing the collection bag and clearing the blocked outlet. MANUFACTURER 2 YEAR WARRANTY INCLUDED
- The powerful 3000W motor blows, vacuums and mulches leaves into material suitable for composting.
- The leaf vacuum has large 45 Litre detachable leaf collection bag, to empty your waste less often.
- Generus 9 position telescopic leaf blower / vac chute to suit all heights (70cm - 100cm).
- This leaf blower and vacuum comes with 62 -170mph controllable variable airspeed.
- Compact And Lightweight: Includes a padded shoulder strap, wheels and a 12m power cable.
- The Universal Garden Tools from Bosch – flexible and powerful for a wide range of tasks
- Flexible garden clearing: This leaf blower and vacuum is a 3-in-1 tool that allows blowing, vacuuming and shredding leaves and garden debris
- Balanced acoustics: The leaf vacuum provides reduced sound and noise level up to 75% of 99dB (A)
- One-release mode changing: Simply and quickly switch between modes, tool-free, with quick-release mechanism
- Clean and easy emptying: Quick-release collection bag features moisture-repellent Dirt Deflectors
- [Features] Decomposition-rate: 15:1; With two modes of air and absorption
- [Package Contains] Leaf-blowers / 45L Collection-bag / Wheels / Shoulder-straps
- [Parameters-1] Power: 3000W/230V/50HZ; Power-cord: 10 meters
- [Parameters-2] Air-volume: 22.6 m³/min MAX; Air-speed: 402 km/h
- [Parameters-3] No load speed: 9000-17000 RPM MAX
- ULTIMATE POWER – The Terratek powerful 3000W Leaf Blower is the essential garden power tool for tidying lawns, patios, driveways and more. Super max air speed at (167mp/h/270km/h).
- BLOWS, VACUUMS & MULCHES – The Garden Vac compacts leaves in the outstanding 35-litre capacity collection bag at a shredding ratio of 10:1. which means less time spent emptying the bag and more time making your garden clean and tidy.
- PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT – The Leaf Vacuum includes a shoulder strap and wheels allowing you to work in comfort for prolonged periods, a 10m power cable, as well as a thermal cut-out safety feature, Lightweight design at only 3kgs.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE, EASY TO USE: Easy to use Blowing selection/ Vacuum selection. Keep your home, garden and garage clean and lovely by using the Terratek leaf blower vacuum and shredder.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY: We offer a 24 month guarantee on our Terratek leaf blower vacuum and shredder for your added peace of mind
- [Features] Decomposition-rate: 10:1; With two modes of air and absorption
- [Package Contains] Leaf-blowers / 35L Collection-bag / Wheels / Shoulder-straps
- [Parameters-1] Power: 3000W/230V/50HZ; Power-cord: 10 meters
- [Parameters-2] MAX Air-volume: 13.2 m³/min; MAX Air-speed: 270 km/h
- [Parameters-3] No load speed: 15000 RPM
- 【Garden Leaf Blower】- This cordless leaf blower use powerful motors provide up to 150MPH strong power, Blower comes with 2.0Ah battery and charger, no fues, no gas, no cord, cordless blowers for lawn care make your garden keep clean.
- 【3 Adjustable Speeds】- You can easily switch your work from blowing leaves in your yard, sweeping light snowfall from your sidewalk, sweeping debris, pet hair in your house and blowing dust from hard-to-clean corners.
- 【Lightweight Compact Design】 The perfect blower to tidy up your garden. No power cables and very lightweight, it means you will have no problem carrying it around the garden carrying out any task at hand. Also perfect for blowing away crass cuts and leaves from your loved ones memorial stones or even your allotments.
- 【Broad Usage 】Sweeps debris from shops, garages, driveways, outdoor yards and garden fallen wet leaves or clears hard to reach surfaces. Our cordless dryer blower also capable of effectively removing snow, dust, debris, spider webs and drying your car.
- 【Get Started Easily】One key control. This cordless leaf blower can be assembled in 1 minute, and all parts are clear at a glance. The blower tube can be removed for storage. Come with 1 x Cordless Leaf Blower, 1 x 20V 2.0Ah Lithium-ion Battery, 1 x Fast Charger, 1 x Carrying Bag.
- 3-in-1; Perfect for vacuuming up leaves and debris from grass and artificial lawns or blowing them so you can collect them, also has a mulching function
- Large capacity; Impressive 45-litre capacity collection bag so you can spend less time emptying and more time getting your garden just right
- Powerful; 1800W motor, engine speed; 13.400min1; air speed of 270km/h
- Dimensions; L88 x W42.5 x H101.5cm
- Guarantee; 12-month guarantee
- 3000W LEAF BLOWER: This NETTA 3000W Leaf Blower is the ideal tool for cleaning up your garden. Featuring a rake for easy cleaning and leaf collection, a telescopic tube for a comfortable working height and storage as well as a 10m power cable for ease of use, this leaf blower is sure to fulfil all your leaf blowing needs.
- POWERFUL: The powerful 3000W motor will provide you with more than enough power to vacuum, blow and mulch in your garden. It boasts a vacuum rate of 13.2m³/min and air speed of 270km/h. It also features a 35L collection bag, with 10:1 Shredding Ratio and Automatic Mulching function in the bag.
- RAKE FEATURE: With our helpful rake attachment, you will be able to clean and collect any stuck or particularly tricky leaves with ease. Combine this with our telescopic tube, and no leafy patch will be a challenge for the NETTA 3 in 1 leaf blower.
- PACKAGE SIZE: 28x28x55cm | WEIGHT: 3.5KG
- WARRANTY: We aim to give the best customer service possible. In the unlikely event that this product is at fault, do not worry, as we have you covered with our 365-day warranty. This gives you peace of mind when purchasing a product from us.
- VARIABLE SPEED BLOWER, VAC & SHREDDER FOR SMALL TO MEDIUM GARDENS - air stream switches from 93mph to 167mph for freeing debris from flowerbeds without damaging plants or quickly shifting large piles of leaves, grass-clippings and hedge trimmings
- CUTS CLIPPINGS AND DEBRIS TO 1/10 THE SIZE - simply suck up dry garden waste to turn it into a fine mulch that is collected in the large 45L bag, ready to be spread onto flower beds to feed nutrients back into the soil
- SIMPLE AND COMFORTABLE TO USE - simple function controls let you switch between blower and vac in seconds, while the variable power switch is within easy reach on the rear handle
- EASY TO HANDLE AND COMFORTABLE TO USE – with a large handle at the front making it easy to direct the airflow, while a shoulder strap and guide wheel take the strain making it a breeze to get around the garden
- AUTHENTIC BRITISH BRAND SINCE 1938 – The Handy is known for well-engineered, robust and reliable products that get the job done and make gardening easy, with a helpful and knowledgeable aftercare team based in the UK
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!