Best Sewing Machines For Beginners
Looking to buy the best sewing machine for beginners? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the right one for you.
Working out how to choose a sewing machine when you first start making your own garments can be an exciting but difficult undertaking. What are the functions of all the knobs and settings? What is the difference between 50 and two stitch settings? It’s tempting to buy the first machine you see on the market, but with a little planning and research, you can find the machine that best suits your needs.
Many of us begin by pondering which sewing machine is best for us and then become perplexed as to which brands and models to begin with. Below, we’ve compiled a list of the best sewing machines for beginners to learn the ropes on. We’ll show you how to choose a sewing machine and suggest some of the best beginner sewing machines based on the types of stitching you’ll be doing early on and as your experience grows. If you’ve never sewn before, you’ll need a simple sewing machine that won’t break and gives you a few basic options rather than a thousand various stitch options or foot that will overwhelm you when you first start looking for one.
For example, you might need to start with simple stitches, but if you’re interested in dressmaking, being able to experiment with stitching on stretch materials will come in handy later. If you want to construct quilts, a machine that can accommodate universal quilting feet and can be changed to sew larger items can make life a lot easier when you’re faced with a queen-size quilt sandwich later on. We’ve also added some beginner guides to help you get to know your new computer if you’re just getting started. Learn how to use a sewing machine with our beginner tutorials, or stock up on threads with our Beginner’s guide to sewing machine threads.
Read on to learn about 10 of the best sewing machines for beginners, whether you’ve never touched a sewing machine pedal before or you’ve been sewing for a while and want to upgrade your machine.
What to Look for When Buying a Sewing Machine
The sewing machine you choose should provide you with the necessary tools to do the jobs you desire. It must also support you as your talents develop and your projects grow in scope. However, there is a wide range of basic sewing machines available that will serve you well, and you may not need an all-singing-all-dancing machine to learn the fundamental skills you’ll need.
What should I look for in a sewing machine?
Choose a reputable brand.
There are a plethora of low-cost sewing machines available from manufacturers you’ve never heard of. Choosing one from a lesser-known brand may make it more difficult to get started. They may not only be unable to provide you with the greatest online assistance, but they may also be unable to provide you with advise if you have any problems with your new equipment.
Most well-known sewing machine manufacturers have YouTube tutorials and guides accessible, which can be really helpful when you get stuck! Another benefit of buying a machine from a well-known brand is that you’ll be able to add attachments to expand its capabilities. Without any guesswork or fumbling, these are assured to fit. There are also a number of universal attachments (such as needles and specialty feet) that are designed to work with all of the major brands. Singer, Janome, Brother, Bernina, Pfaff, and Toyota are some of the brands to keep an eye out for.
Is there a drop-in bobbin on the top?
This makes loading and seeing how much thread is left on your bobbin reel a breeze.
Is it equipped with snap-on feet?
Depending on what you’re sewing, you’ll need to modify the ‘foot’ you use. If you’re sewing a zipper, a zipper foot will be used, and if you’re stitching a quilt, a quilting foot will be used. Snap-on feet make switching between them a breeze, and you won’t have to bother with a screwdriver.
Is it possible to have stretch stitches?
If you want to manufacture garments, you’ll undoubtedly want to experiment with sewing with jersey and stretch materials at some point. You can achieve this with a basic zig zag stitch because the stitches expand with the fabric.
Is it possible to move the base to display the free arm?
Perhaps you’re wondering what this signifies. On many machines, you may remove a section of the sewing machine’s base to make it easier to accommodate components like sleeves and cuffs under the needle.
What is the weight of it?
If you plan on carrying your new sewing machine to sewing courses, a lighter machine would be a better choice.
How loud is it?
Cheaper sewing machines are usually louder, which is something to keep in mind if you’ll be sewing in a shared room.
What is the best way to thread a sewing machine?
You must first thread your sewing machine before beginning your stitching project. While the particular sequence for your make and model should be outlined in your machine’s handbook, the general procedure begins with the presser foot in the up position.
Place your thread spool on the spool holder and feed the thread through the thread guide at the top of the machine. Pull the thread higher after inserting it through the tension mechanism and slipping it between the metal discs. Place the thread through the opening in the take-up lever. As you pull the thread towards the sewing machine needle, make use of the available thread guides.
Finally, adjust the handwheel to bring the needle into a reachable position. Thread the needle. Your sewing machine should be threaded and ready to begin, but a test run on a sample swatch to double-check your work is always a good idea.
What’s the differences between manual and electric sewing machines?
Manual sewing machines were formerly the norm in the crafting world, but electric (also known as computerised) machines have grown in favour in recent years due to their ease of use and additional features such as embroidery.
A mechanical sewing machine provides straightforward functionality if you’re seeking for a simple stitching experience with no frills. Some argue that these devices are more reliable in the long run without electronic components. Computerized machines, on the other hand, may reduce the learning curve for some beginning sewers because selecting stitches and settings is as simple as pressing a button.
What kind of maintenance do sewing machines require?
To keep today’s sewing machines in good operating order, only a few simple actions are normally required. While the instructions will be spelled out in the handbook that came with your machine, it’s vital to remove the throat plate on a regular basis and clean the machine with a small, soft brush to remove thread, lint, and debris that may have become caught inside. Oiling your machine may be necessary to keep it greased and functioning properly.
What is an overlock sewing machine?
An overlock sewing machine, or serger as it is commonly known, can trim, stitch, and overcast seams as they sew.They sew faster than conventional sewing machines at up to 1,700 stitches per minute. Because of these features, an overlock machine can save time and give a professional appearance to constructed items
Can an overlocker be used as a sewing machine?
An overlocker does not replace a sewing machine. Its primary function is to clean finish a raw edge, giving the project a professional appearance. Many overlocking stitches have built-in stretch, making them the perfect tool for seaming knit fabrics
What do you need to start sewing with a machine?
Sewing machine. There’s no need to spend a lot on your first sewing machine.
Thread and Thread Holder.
Metal bobbins (and magnetic bobbin holder).
Rotary fabric cutter, large clear ruler and large self-healing mat.
Good fabric scissors.
What should I learn to sew first?
Seams that have straight sewing and even seam allowances are a must for a professional-looking project. Learn how to sew a basic seam is one of the first steps in learning how to sew, then move on to other sewing techniques to learn how to sew almost anything
How hard is it to learn to sew?
Learning to sew is no harder than learning how to bake pastry or build a bookshelf. Like any new skill, it is best learned one step at a time, with lots of practice. Of course, getting good at anything does take work!
What is the size of a sewing machine?
Even though more than 95% of the sewing machines used in factories are rectangular in shape and of standard size of 42” X 21”, there have been instances of lockstitch and overlock sewing machines being of 47” X 22” and 54” X 28” dimensions.
Is it necessary for me to get my sewing machine cleaned and serviced on a regular basis?
It depends on how frequently the sewing machine is used and what kind of work is done on it.
Cotton textiles and thread tend to clog up your machine with extra lint.
Cleaning and servicing your machine ensures that it runs smoothly.
A machine that has been in storage for a long period will also need to be serviced since the lubricants can dry up.
What’s the deal with my sewing machine skipping stitches?
It’s possible that the needle is curved or blunt, that it was put wrongly, or that the pressure on the foot is insufficient.
I’m not sure why I keep breaking needles.
It’s possible that the needle is inserted wrongly, you’re pulling the fabric while sewing, or you’re using the wrong size needle or thread for the fabric you’re stitching.
Why does my sewing machine generate loops or loose stitches?
The tension isn’t set correctly.
The Best Sewing Machines For Beginners
- 14 Stitch metal chassis sewing machine
- Drop in bobbin
- LED bulb
- 4 step button hole
- 3 year manufacturer warranty
- Brother L14s Sewing Machine
- 【Mini-size & Compact】As a space saver, this sewing machine is an elaborate and mini-size sewing machine, The advanced and high-cost machines are more elaborate on manufacturing.
- 【Accessories】It comes with 42PCS sewing machine kit including bobbins, scissor, measuring tape, thimble, needle threader and needles. We also provide an extension table, foot controller and two pieces of fabric for convenient sewing.
- 【Built-in function】It comes with a rewinding pole to refill the bobbins from large spools and a built-in light to enhance the light source when sewing. It is also designed with a thread cutter to help cut thread whenever necessary.
- 【Double thread】Designed with double-thread as full size sewing machine, it is able to sew at most 5-layer fabrics without manual knot ending. Please turn the hand wheel to manual catch bottom thread before turning on the power as MANUAL indicated.
- 【Mini Size】Measured in 8.6*6.9*3.5 inches, this handy mini size is convenient to storage. And it is also an ideal size for kids or beginners to learn sewing.
- Easy to use: the manuals are available in English, German, French, Italian and Spanish. Users can select different manuals depending on the language they are familiar with. The DVD instruction manual with English subtitles can make it easier and more convenient for beginners.
- Multi -stitches: 12 unique built-in stitches: equipped 12 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag and stretch stitches and upper thread tension adjustment.
- 5 types of feet and 2 types of needles: overlock foot, quilting foot, zipper foot, invisible zipper foot, buttonhole foot; (75/11 #) & (90/14 #) needle, depending on the thickness and material, to select different needle types
- 46 PCS + 6 PCS ACCESSORIES: 5 interchangeable presser feet, 17 lower metal spool, 17 upper belly spool, 6 needles, 2 needle threader, 1 tape measure, 1 seam ripper, 1 metal thimble.
- Applicable and good gifts: Small size, simple operation, lovely design, suit for sewing beginner. Portable sewing machine can improve children's imagination and hands-on ability. It also perfect for craftspeople, emergency needs of sew or DIY enthusiasts using at home.
- 【12 Built-in Stitches & Reverse Sewing】 Small sewing machine includs 12 different kinds of stitch patterns, such as straight stitches, zigzag stitches, etc. Besides, there is also reverse sewing function.
- 【Multi-purpose Accessory Set】Magicfly sewing set consists of 3 interchangeable sewing feet for sewing buttons, zippers or invisible zippers. The included complete set of bobbin accessories and a handy tape measure are ready to use when you receive the sewing machine. And the enlarged expansion table is useful for sewing large pieces of fabric.
- 【3 Types of Needles】 Magicfly sewing machine has 3 types of needle for fabrics of different thicknesses. Size 80/11 for light fabrics; Size 90/14 for medium-weight fabrics with a maximum thickness of 2 mm; Size 100/16 for heavy fabrics.
- 【Easy to Use】 The threading guide printed on the sewing machine can make threading easier for you. There are two power methods: power or battery, which are suitable for home or outdoor use. And there are also clear instructions and operational videos to help you learn how to use this machine and answer frequently asked questions. Whether you are a beginner or a sewing enthusiast, you can easily operate this machine.
- 【Perfect Gift】 Magicfly portable sewing machine is small in size and its package has a handle that is easy to store and carry. Sewing machine ideal for family and friends, the colorbox packaging makes it a great gift.
- 20 Bulit-in stitches: including decorative, blind hem, zigzag and stretch stitches and upper thread tension adjustment.
- 12 Function: Double Thread & Much Speed, Forward & reverse sewing, Automatic thread rewind, Sews sleeves, Adjustable stitch length, Hand switch or foot pedal to start, LED light, thread cutter, hidder drawer included.
- 2 Guidelines: video and user manual. Watching the video and graphic manual together can make it easier for you to master how to use the sewing machine
- 5 Types of Feet & 2 Tpes of Needle: overlock foot, quilting foot, zipper foot, invisible-zipper foot, buttonhole foot; (75/11#) & (90/14#)needle, according to the thickness and material to choose different types of needle.
- 45 +8 PCS Accessories: 5 replaceable presser feet, 18 metal bottom bobbin, 18 abs upper bobbin, 7 needles, 2 needle threader, 1 measuring tape, 1 seam ripper, 1 metal thimble.
- Automatic bobbin rewinding and two speeds selection. Portable size, prefect for beginners first use.
- Multi-purpose sewing machine with 12 built-in stitch patterns, double speed operation, with reverse sewing button (when using reverse sewing, you need to press and hold the reverse button to sew) two start modes, use manual buttons or use the pedal to start, to meet your sewing needs.
- Come with foot pedal. You can do your sewing with both hands and control the speed with foot pedal.
- Size: 27.5*12.1*26 cm/10.8*4.8*10.2 inche. Please read the instructions carefully before using the machine!
- It supports the battery supply for outdoor using. Please pay attention to the power supply and battery cannot be used at the same time, or it will cause the machine doesn't work. REMINDER: If the machine is damaged or malfunctions, please contact us, we will definitely give you a solution.
- VERSATILE SEWING MACHINE: Uten 2200 computerised sewing machine is a great all round machine with 60 popular built-in stitches and features. The LED light and LCD screen allow for fuss-free sewing. Select stitches and settings at the touch of a button. It is an excellent option for anyone, whether beginners or more experienced sewers.
- EASY TO USE: Thanks to the efficient slide speed control, this sewing machines electric can be operated without a foot control. The digital sewing machine has convenience features including an automatic needle threader, reverse button, 4-step buttonhole, single button for the start and stop functions and rotary button for stitch width and buttonhole, making quickly threads machine with ease.
- MULTIFUNCTIONS: The stitch length and width of quilting sewing machines can be easily and freely adjusted manually to customize stitches to personalize projects. Take off the Removable Storage Compartment to access the Free Arm, which makes it easy access to cuffs, collars, pant hems and other difficult-to-reach areas.
- FREE-HAND SEWING: Feed dog sinking freehand embroidery can perfectly embroider patterns. The embroidery machine can meet your sewing and embroidery needs. Front load bobbin makes stitches more precise, easier adjustment. For embroidery machines, front load bobbin cases can be changed WITHOUT removing the hoop in the middle of embroidery.
- GOOD SERVICE: Accessories included: buttonhole foot, zipper foot, zigzag foot, hem guide foot, 3 bobbins, needle set, twin needle, screwdriver, ripper/brush and extra spool pin. If you have any problem about this sewing machine, pls feel free to EMAIL us. We will offer technical support and happy to help you solve the problem.
- 20 Bulit-in stitches: including decorative, blind hem, zigzag and stretch stitches and upper thread tension adjustment
- 12-function: Double Thread & Much Speed, Forward & reverse sewing, Automatic thread rewind, Sews sleeves, Adjustable stitch length, Hand switch or foot pedal to start, LED light, thread cutter, hidder drawer included.
- 2 Guidelines: video and user manual. Watching the video and graphic manual together can make it easier for you to master how to use the sewing machine.If you have any questions about our products or have any dissatisfaction with our products, please contact us, we will provide you with a satisfactory solution, including return and exchange or a refund
- 5 Types of feet & 2 types of needle: overlock foot, quilting foot, zipper foot, invisible-zipper foot, buttonhole foot; (75/11#) & (90/14#)needle, according to the thickness and material to choose different types of needle
- 45 PCS+8 PCS ACCESORIES: 5 replaceable presser feet, 18 metal bottom bobbin, 18 abs upper bobbin, 7 needles, 2 needle threader, 1 measuring tape, 1 seam ripper, 1 metal thimble.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!