The best spirograph sets: a buyer’s guide
The rhythmic pattern of drawing with a Spirograph has a calming effect.
A Spirograph set allows even the most art-challenged people to create awe-inspiring designs, whether nostalgia or a desire to fulfil the budding artist in your home drives your quest.
Spirograph sets are significantly more plentiful today than they were 20 years ago.
That implies you’ll have to make some decisions.
Are you unsure about what you want or where to begin?
Don’t be concerned.
Our shopping guide provides all the details you’ll need to narrow down your choices.
Size and portability of a spirograph set
Spirographs exist in a variety of sizes, from small travel kits to enormous table-top models.
Take a thorough look at the table/counter space you have before you buy.
A compact Spirograph set would be ideal for an apartment, while a deluxe Spirograph set might be ideal for a home with a harvest table.
You’d think that with all those wheels and pens, Spirographs were meant to be stationary, but many are built to be portable.
Spirograph sets for travel are compact enough to fit in a backpack.
may carry all you need in your purse, however you’d have to refill the paper frequently.
These are by far the most portable sets, however even the largest Spirograph sets are made to be portable.
They come with a portable case where you can keep your wheels, pens, and paper so you can create art wherever you go.
Features of the Spirograph Set
Types of wheels
The magic is created by the wheels.
Each wheel has many design options thanks to its toothed edges and strategically positioned holes.
Spirograph sets can have anything from six to twenty-five wheels, depending on the selections.
Round wheels: These are most likely the wheels you are most familiar with.
They could contain anywhere from five to 35 holes.
Using the same wheel, each hole will produce a slightly distinct pattern.
Shaped wheels come in a number of shapes, including bar, quad, triangle, and oval, among others.
Shaped wheels, like round wheels, have several holes to change the design.
Racks (with rounded ends): A rack is nothing more than a rounded-end bar.
These wheels are less common than round and shaped wheels, and they take up more space to utilise than the other two types.
They’re usually only found in Spirograph sets that are deluxe, giant, or jumbo in size.
Sizes of wheels
The design’s scope is determined by the wheel’s size, which dictates whether it will have tight, complex lines or huge, soaring arcs.
Even travel sets will have circular wheels in a variety of sizes.
Shaped wheels and racks of various sizes are also included in some of the larger sets.
Dimensions of the wheel hole
A pencil or pen is inserted into many holes on each Spirograph wheel to form a design.
Some sets have bigger holes than others, and newer sets have bigger holes.
Larger holes enable for a wider range of writing implements to be used.
Small holes limit the number of instruments available, but they keep the pen or pencil in place longer, making drawing easier.
Material for the wheels
The majority of Spirograph sets feature plastic wheels, although a few have metal wheels.
Metal is, without a doubt, more durable than plastic, but it is also heavier to transport, and sets with metal wheels typically have less wheels for the price.
Spirograph sets typically feature at least one pen, however some may include two or three.
You can be confident that the pens included in the kit will fit in the wheel holes if you use them.
You can, however, use any pen or pencil that fits in the wheel hole, regardless of whether it came with the kit.
Case for transporting
When utilising a Spirograph set, there are a lot of elements to keep care of, including wheels and pens.
A carrying case keeps everything together and allows kids to enjoy themselves at school or at a friend’s house.
An open table with wheel holders on the back of the table is used in some sets.
The wheels aren’t confined if they fall out of the holders, thus these sets aren’t good for travelling.
Look for a Spirograph set with a case that secures with buckles or another latching device if you want to carry it on the road.
Rings and plates
Wheels are inserted within or along the outside of the plate or ring to create designs.
The exterior and inside edges of plates and rings have teeth.
As a result, wheels can be employed on either side of the vehicle.
Spiro-putty, magnets, or pins are used to keep plates and rings in position.
Magnets, spiro-putty, and pins
For designs to be drawn, a wheel must be placed inside a stationary plate or ring.
Spiro-putty, magnets, or pins must be used to keep each plate in place.
One of these three alternatives is included in each set (except for travel sets, which have a plate built into the lid).
The most stable alternative is pins, which are normally only present on older Spirograph sets.
Magnets may be included in sets with a metal table or case to keep the plates in place.
Spiro-putty, which feels and works like sticky tack, is the newest addition to the Spirograph design.
Broken pieces can be attached to the bottom of a plate to keep it in place on the drawing board or table while you create.
When utilising a Spirograph, a level surface is essential.
Spirographs demand steady pressure as the wheel rotates around the centre of the plate, which can be difficult to achieve on an incline or uneven surface.
Spirographs are a great way to get kids to be more creative.
Colored pens and pencils can be used to add colour and depth to your drawings.
Colored markers are included in some sets for this purpose, but you can use any marker that fits in the wheel holes.
Each wheel has a right side and a wrong side.
The holes on the wheel aren’t precisely straight; they’re bevelled to direct the pen or pencil toward the paper.
The upper side of the wheel is the one with the larger aperture.
Best Spirograph Sets To Buy
- Spirograph is the classic way to create countless amazing designs
- Each design you create is distinct and different every time
- This set includes over 45 pieces
- The reusable Spiro-Putty holds the fixed position spirograph pieces securely in place
- Aspiring artists of all ages can create beautifully intricate designs
- Suitable for home décor
- Suitable for arts and crafts projects
- Designed for easy usage and storage
- Model number: 153450
- This commemorative edition set is a reproduction of the original—just like you remember—featuring throwback packaging and retro graphics
- Since it was first launched in 1965, Spirograph has made it possible for aspiring artists of all ages to create beautifully intricate designs
- Step-by-step instructions to create customised amazing designs
- The Classic Way For Aspiring Artists To Create Millions Of Back And Better Than Ever The Original Spirograph Deluxe Set Features
- The Original Spirograph Design Set for Kids
- Comes With 6 Art Markers, 2 Design Pens, Design Guide, Storage Tray and More
- Try It Now - Your purchase today is backed by a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't enjoy this Spirograph you can request your money back with no questions asked. Sounds good? Order yours today while stocks last.
- Suitable for home décor
- Suitable for arts and crafts projects
- Designed for easy usage and storage
- Package include: You will get spirograph geometric ruler, Round diameter: 1.5cm - 9cm strip length: 15cm irregular shape: 4*4cm.
- Create fascinating patterns with this classic art tool that has been loved for generations. Great for promoting hand-eye coordination and other senses in kids.
- Traces out hypotrochoid curves turning math into beautiful art. By different arrange and organization,you can draw a lot of pattern.
- Ideal for Christmas, thanksgiving, Easter, or any other special event.
- Designed to help them explore their creativity and providing an excellent way for developing young talent.
- With Spirograph's distinctive interlocking gears and wheels, anyone can draw elegant, spiraling designs.
- Includes 15 wheels, 2 rings, 1 rack,4 shaped wheels,3 design pens,1 spiro-putty 14-page guide book, design paper,stored in a collectible with packag box.
- Inspired by the design of the original 1965 Spirograph, this set will entertain the whole family for years to come.
- The classic way that aspiring artists create countless amazing designs is back again.
- It can also be a decoration for your home cause it is a unique artistic creation.
- Package contains: 10 pcs Spirograph ruler + 10 pcs multicolour ballpoint pen, color has: blue, pink, green, yellow. Note: color is random.
- Spirograph set use the hight quality plastic, no sharp edges as metal stencils do, not easily deformed, very easy and fun to use.
- Ruler size: 20 x 10cm / 7.8 x 3.9inch, ballpoint pen length size: 14cm / 5.5in. Weight: 360g. The perfect size fits in A5 journal pocket.
- They are clearly cut giving a nice finish, and have right amount of space that you can easily sketch through them, suitable for our multicolour ballpoint pen. Can easy to quickly draw a complex pattern tens of thousands of fantasy.
- This nostalgic toy is an ideal birthday gift / Christmas gift for children and adults, great for kids birthday party favours / thank you gift / giveaway gift for kids and teenage.
- ✍️[ Spirograph Drawing Toy Set ]: Spirograph set includes 15 wheels, 2 rings, 1 rack, 4 shaped wheels, 3 design pens, 1 spiro-putty, paper, multi-pattern guide book.
- ✍️[ Cultivate Interest ]: Spirograph set is a useful educational stationery for children, which can stimulate children's creativity and imagination, keep children fun, and become interested in painting.
- ✍️[ Simple to Use ]: With spirograph's distinctive interlocking gears and wheels, anyone can draw elegant, spiraling designs. Very easy to use drawing guide for creating intricate patterns and designs!
- ✍️[ Multifunctional Training ]: Brain exercise,, understanding training, interest training, intellectual development, other skills training, parent-child communication, interactive toys. A set that both children and adults can enjoy, providing endless hours of fun!
- ✍️[ Perfect Gift ]: This spiral set is perfect for kids. Use the spirograph drawing set to turn kids into real artists and give kids a fun entry into the world of drawing, ideal for any occasion, whether as a Christmas, Easter, or birthday gift.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!