Looking to buy the best sunscreen? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the right one for you.
It’s true the best way to take care of the skin you have is apply high-quality sunscreen every day. It will not only lower the chance of your skin aging prematurely and also shield you from the harmful skin cancers. If you believe that sunscreen is only needed during sunny days, consider changing your mind. For the best protection, it’s recommended to apply it regardless of whether it’s raining outside, and even if you spend the majority of your time in the indoors.
It’s not surprising that dermatologists, doctors and experts in beauty will all advise you that shielding your skin from UV harmful radiation of the sun is the utmost importance. Unfortunately there are many different sunscreens that are created equal. This is the norm it’s worthwhile to invest in a top-quality sunscreen that can do the job efficiently, and provide you with peace of mind, regardless of whether you’re at the beach, in the park, or simply relaxing in your backyard.
The amount of sun protection provided is of course the primary distinction between different brand names of sunscreen. But, there are sunscreens that are specifically designed for particular needs, such as those with sensitive skin or acne-prone skin as well with options specifically designed for children with sensitive skin. You can also purchase sun protection that isn’t cream-based If you prefer an oil mousse or spray.
If you’re not sure how to distinguish the SPFs of your UVAs and UVBs take a look to find out more on what you should look for in our helpful buying guide below. It’s followed by we list our top current sunscreens.
How do you choose the right sunscreen for you
When it concerns sun cream it’s all about SPF, which means “sun protective factor”. The SPF rating of a product is the measure of protection it offers against UVB radiation (UVB) which is the principal reason for sunburn. The range of SPF ratings is from 2 to 50+ and the latter is the most effective form of UVB protection that is available. For a better understanding SPF15 sunscreen blocks approximately 93 percent of UVB radiation and SPF50+ blocks about 98 percent. It is recommended that the British Association of Dermatologists recommends that you apply sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 30.
What is the different in UVB and UVA radiations?
Sunlight emits two kinds of UV radiation. UVB is the cause of sunburn , and may increase the risk of developing skin cancer and UVA alters the skin’s elastin layer, which can lead to wrinkles and premature aging (although it’s also associated with the development of Skin cancer). Certain sunscreens have the UVA star rating of zero to five that indicates the amount of UVA radiation it absorbs in comparison the UVB radiation. Don’t be concerned if there’s no number on the bottle, however the system of rating was created and is controlled by Boots therefore there aren’t any brands that use it.
A study by the British Association of Dermatologists recommends that having an SPF of 30 and a rating of 4 out of 5 is “generally considered to be a good standard for sunscreen” (as as it is worn in conjunction with suitable clothing, and time of time in shade). The EU guidelines state that sunscreens should provide UVA protection of at three-quarters of the SPF. If you spot bottles with the word UVA inside a circle you are assured that it is in compliance with this minimum requirements. Sunscreens that are strong in their protection from the effects of both UVB as well as UVA radiation are known as “broad spectrum” products.
What ingredients should I be looking for?
Sunscreens can be classified into two types that are chemical, which convert UV rays to heat, and physical, that contain minerals like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to reflect UV rays off. Chemical formulas are generally thinner, which makes them easier to use on a regular basis, but you must take at least 20 minutes to let the product absorb before venturing out in the sunlight. Physical sunscreens tend to be less likely to block pores, making them ideal for those with sensitive skins and acne-prone skin However, they can be difficult to remove and could cause white spots on your skin. Some sunscreens mix chemical and physical formulas in an approach that is belt and braces.
Are sunscreens that are applied once a day effective?
A sunscreen that offers all-day protection in just one application could seem like the stuff of your holiday fantasies, however, be aware that certain activities like swimming, or just relaxing on a beach could cause the cream to wash off. In fact, you could require reapplying multiple time throughout the day so that you remain secure. However, this type of product is the most effective for when (for instance) you’re headed off to work in a place in which you’re not able to replenish with sunscreen all day long.
The best sunscreens you can buy
- Immediate protection: Sunscreen SPF 50 provides immediate protection against sunburn and premature skin ageing so you can enjoy the sunshine safely
- Highly effective: Get highly effective UVA & UVB protection with this moisturising cream sunscreen, as well as 48-hour skin moisture
- Water-resistant: The caring sun lotion is water-resistant and works in balance with the skin's microbiome - the skin's natural defence system
- Usage instructions: Apply NIVEA suncream before sun exposure, enough to give a visible layer before rubbing in. Allow to absorb completely. Reapply frequently, especially after swimming, perspiring, and towelling
- Readily biodegradable: NIVEA sun protection cares for your skin and the planet. The new formula is biodegradable and respects the ocean by being free from Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Octocrylene and microplastics
- Moisturising protection: Our moisturising cream spray offers effective protection against sun exposure with its highly effective UVA/UVB filter.
- SPF 30: NIVEA sun cream SPF 30 offers a medium level of sun protection which reduces the risk of sun-induced allergies and UV-induced skin damage.
- Water resistant: The moisturising suncream 30 is highly water resistant so will last longer in the sunshine. Make sure to reapply after entering the water.
- How to apply: Apply before sun exposure with a visible layer before rubbing in, let dry then reapply to ensure adequate coverage. Reapply frequently, especially after swimming, perspiring, or towelling
- Readily biodegradable: NIVEA Sun protection cares for your skin and the planet. The biodegradable formula respects the ocean by being free from Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Octocrylene and microplastics
- DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED SUN PROTECTION. Use the same sunscreen as dermatologists! Fast absorption, non-sticky - feels like a moisturiser.
- CREATED BY UK DERMATOLOGIST DR ANDREW BIRNIE. Formulated in Germany. For sensitive skin; fragrance free with a low risk of allergy. Suitable for daily use on face, body and children. Water resistant.
- HIGH QUALITY BROAD SPECTRUM PROTECTION with 5 star Ultra UVA rating (PPD: 54). Altruist suncreams have a broad range of photos table UV filters, including the world’s most advanced filter: Tinosorb A2B.
- PREMIUM PRODUCT, LOW PRICE. For the price listed you receive two tubes. Our mission is to reduce the incidence of skin cancer
- ALTRUIST SUPPORTS PEOPLE WITH ALBINISM IN AFRICA - 10p from every Altruist product sold is donated to charities supporting people with albinism. In 2019 Altruist donated £65,000 worth of sunscreen to people with albinism in Africa.
- once a day sun protection
- 10 hours protection from one application
- very water resistant
- easy to apply, non greasy, no white marks
- active 15 minutes after application
- Moisturising protection: Our moisturising cream suncream offers effective protection against sun exposure with its highly effective UVA/UVB filter
- Water-resistant: The sun protection suncream 30 is highly water-resistant so will last longer in the sunshine. Make sure to reapply after entering the water
- SPF 30: Our face sun cream with SPF 30 offers a high level of sun protection which reduces the risk of sun-induced allergies and UV-induced skin damage
- To apply: Apply NIVEA SPF 30 before sun exposure with a visible layer before rubbing in, let dry then reapply to ensure adequate coverage. Reapply frequently
- Enhanced formula: NIVEA sun cream factor 30 will give immediate protection from UV rays so you can enjoy the sunshine without worrying about your skin
- 2-IN-1 MOISTURISER FOR ALL SKIN TYPES: hydrates whilst providing very high, broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and SPF 50; suitable for women and men
- LIGHT-WEIGHT, EASILY-ABSORBED: helps skin maintain its natural protective barrier; Suitable for all skin types for use daily
- EFFECTIVE INGREDIENTS: Contains hydrating Glycerin and Essential Vitamin E; Vegan-Friendly
- DEVELOPED FOR EVEN THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN: non-comedogenic formula with no-added fragrances, non-irritating & does not clog pores
- From the UK's #1 Dermatologist recommended skincare brand
- Helps protect against UVA (Aging rays) and UVB (Burning rays)
- Calms and protects acne-prone skin
- Leaves no residue
- 1 Pieces – 3 oz
- Waterproof (up to 80 min)
- Grease, Oil Lotion
- Broad spectrum protection
- Shields skin 6-layers deep
- Sensitive Skin - Our sensitive suncream has been specially designed for children, babies and delicate skin. The moisturising cream immediately protects skin.
- SPF 50+ - Our sun cream SPF 50 offers a high level of sun protection which reduces the risk of sun-induced allergies and UV-induced skin damage.
- Water Resistant - The sensitive kid's spray is highly water resistant so you do not need to reapply the suncream 50 after your children have been in the sea!
- Method of Application - Spray sunscreen generously onto bare skin before going outside, allowing it to be absorbed by the skin. Reapply frequently.
- Scope of Delivery - NIVEA SUN Kids Protect & Sensitive Sun Lotion, 200ml Spray Bottle. Sensitive Skin Suncream, Article Number: 85847
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!