Looking to buy the best Tanning Lotion? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for you.
Choosing A Tanning Lotion – A Buyer’s Guide
There are many different types of tanning lotions, as you can see from our list of the finest tanning lotions.
Of course, we choose the top based on our personal preferences and product popularity from other tanning lotion reviews, but ultimately, the best one is up to each individual.
It all depends on what you’re looking for in the first place.
Do you want to use it at the beach or in the house to tan?
Do you want it to provide UV protection for your skin, or will you use a separate product for that?
Are you a frequent tanning bed user whose skin is dry and harsh, necessitating a highly hydrating product?
Do you want your tanning lotion to have colour and work as a bronzer as well?
You’re not alone if you don’t know the answers to all of these.
It can be challenging to pick the best self-tanning lotion.
We’ll now walk you through each factor to consider, and ideally, by the end of our shopping guide, you’ll know exactly which tanning lotion is best for you.
Before you go out and buy a tanning lotion, there are a few things you should think about.
The first thing you should consider is where you want to become tanned.
Is it on the beach or in the comfort of your own home, or do you prefer the convenience of indoor tanning beds?
If you like to tan outside, you’ll need an outdoor tanning lotion as well as an SPF sun protection lotion (also known as sunblock).
If the tanning lotion you have serves as an accelerator, the correct sequence to apply it is tanning lotion first.
After that, apply sunscreen on top, taking a 10-minute pause between the two treatments to allow the tan accelerator to soak.
If you prefer indoor tanning, you’ll also need a sunscreen and an indoor tanning lotion.
The order is similar: self-tanner first, then a light layer of sunblock on top to protect your skin from the tanning bed’s damaging effects.
The foundations of combining indoor tanning with sunscreen will be discussed further down.
The second item to consider is whether you would rather use a bronzer or a tanning accelerator.
Because self-bronzer lotions are also advertised as tanning lotions, the situation is naturally perplexing.
If you don’t want a true tan that is produced by your skin from the inside out and are content with the illusion of a tan, a bronzer may be the answer.
You won’t have to worry about it seeming false because the top tanning lotions on the market use innovative technology to make your bronze look brilliant and glowing.
Given that obtaining a deep tan might come with some health hazards, this may actually be the better alternative.
Last but not least, many of the greatest tanning lotions have both an accelerating formula and self-bronzer particles, allowing you to obtain a double-tanned appearance.
Remember that you’ll need some sunscreen, whether you use a tanning accelerator, bronzer, or a combination of the two (SPF 15 at a minimum, more if you’re fair-skinned).
Indoor tanning lotions come in a variety of forms.
The lotions available for indoor tanning are designed to speed up the tanning process.
The beauty facility that offers tanning bed time normally has a selection of tanning lotions, but it’s preferable to buy your own for the greatest effects.
This way, based on your demands, you can choose the exact substances and desired advantages (anti-aging, slimming, and so on).
The first criterion is if you are a bronzer or not.
Some indoor tanning products also function as bronzers, highlighting or enhancing the natural tan you’ll obtain.
This is a fantastic feature as long as you buy a high-quality self-tanner.
It won’t stain your clothes or create streaks on your skin; instead, it’ll serve like a light make-up that draws attention to your entire body.
Light vs. dark is the second criterion.
Finally, the colour intensity of various indoor tanning treatments varies.
Some are described as black, while others are described as light or fair.
This relates to both your natural skin tone and the amount of tan you want to achieve.
In this instance, we recommend avoiding any abrupt modifications, especially if you are really light-toned and want to get a deep tan.
If you use a dark self-tanner straight away, the contrast between your natural skin colour and the lotion may be noticeable in some areas.
Begin with a mild tanning lotion and then progress to a darker one as your skin tone darkens.
What about the tingling tanners?
You may have heard the term but have no idea what it means or how it works.
Let us assist you in resolving this issue.
A tingle self-tanner is a unique type of solution that causes a tingling sensation on your skin when applied.
This is due to the active components, which help to kick-start the skin’s microcirculation, allowing the rest of the substances to travel better and absorb faster in the layers of your skin.
Because melanin production is stimulated during the tanning process, this microcirculation boost will also benefit when you start tanning.
Tingle lotions are available from a variety of indoor tanning lotion companies, all of which have received generally excellent client feedback.
This is what you should expect if you decide to use a tingling tanning lotion for the first time.
To begin with, you might anticipate a strong tingling feeling.
If you notice a warming and reddening impact on the area of skin where you applied the tingle lotion, don’t be worried.
It won’t irritate you in the long run; the effect is merely transient.
Some anti-cellulitis lotions on the market have a similar effect, so you may recognise it from those.
Second, as soon as you’ve applied the lotion, go into the tanning bed (or lie on a beach towel if you like outdoor tanning).
The tingling sensation will only last about 40 minutes, so take advantage of it while you can.
Last but not least, remember to thoroughly wash your hands after applying the tingling self-tanner to your skin.
If you mistakenly rub sensitive regions like your eyes or nose with the active ingredients in the product, it can sting quite a bit.
To be safe, wash your hands properly once you’ve finished applying it.
Bronzer lotions include small coloured particles that give your skin a tan-like colour without requiring you to go through the organic tanning process (without forcing your skin to produce melanin).
You might think of them as skin make-up, but they can go much deeper than make-up, resulting in a gradual and long-lasting look, similar to a true tan.
The following are the most common bronzing tanning lotions:
Self-tanning creams that develop gradually
Bronzer creams for highlighting
Bronzer creams for indoor tanning
The first is the finest substitute for ‘real’ tanning and a far healthier option.
These solutions are usually made with natural components that can help skin change colour naturally, so they’re not like a simple make-up layer that washes away the first time you shower.
Beta-carotene and cane sugar molecules, for example, are examples of such substances.
Because it washes off easily and is simply supposed to give your skin a transient glow, the second variety resembles make-up more than anything else.
You’ll understand what we’re talking about if you’ve ever used a highlighter.
These bronzer lotions can be thought of as a liquid mild highlighter that you can apply all over your body to make your underlying tan look even better.
The third type of bronzer is a hybrid product that combines a tanning accelerator with bronzer particles to give you a taste of quick colour that goes beyond your natural tan hue.
What is your tanning skin type?
When deciding whether or not to tan, keep your skin type in mind.
This is critical since lighter skin is more exposed to UV radiation’ harmful effects (namely, ageing and the risk of skin cancer).
As a result, the fairer you are, the more sun protection you will require.
You should also alter the levels of UV rays you absorb if you have a more sensitive skin type (lighter coloured skin).
If you choose to tan outside, keep exposure time to a minimum and avoid tanning during the hottest parts of the day.
When tanning inside, it may be even easier to control the amount of UV rays that reach your skin.
The tanning salon’s staff should be able to assist you in selecting the best settings for your skin type.
How to Tan Outside
While tanning outside takes longer than tanning indoors, it is unquestionably a more natural and safe option.
All you need is a beach towel, a little patience, and the best self-tanning lotion for your skin to obtain a tan the old-fashioned way.
Apply your tanning lotion before leaving the house to get to the location where you wish to sunbathe.
The formula should be based on a tanning accelerator.
Then, depending on your skin type for tanning, apply a top layer of UV protection factor (see above).
Between each application, wait 10 minutes.
You’re now ready to lie down on the blanket and face the sun.
Remember to change positions frequently to ensure an even tan.
Spend about 10 minutes in the sun on one side of your body, then switch.
Once you’ve spent an hour in the sun, take a long break and come back later in the day to catch some of the sun’s last rays, or wait until the next day.
Also, once you wash at the end of the day, use an intensively hydrating skin lotion or cream.
The tanning process, whether done outdoors or inside, can severely dry the skin, necessitating replenishment.
Q: What is the difference between an indoor tanning lotion and an outdoor tanning lotion?
What distinguishes it from sunscreen?
A tanning lotion for indoor use and a sunscreen lotion are two completely different items.
They don’t do anything for you that they don’t already do.
Indoor tanning lotions don’t contain any type of sun protection and instead focus on speeding up the tanning process when your skin is exposed to UV light from tanning bed panels.
A sunblock lotion, on the other hand, focuses solely on preserving your skin from the sun’s rays and does not seek to hasten your bronze.
People who use sunscreen are either health-conscious or at danger for skin cancer due to their fair skin or a significant number of moles on their skin.
They don’t want UV rays to penetrate deeper into their skin, which is exactly what an indoor tanning lotion accomplishes.
Of course, some indoor tanning creams include bronzer particles, which serve as make-up for your skin, giving it a bronze tint on the exterior.
Some hybrid sunscreen creams also contain bronzing particles, which might enable people who are afraid of tanning obtain a tanned look.
Indoor tanning lotion and self-bronzing sunscreen are comparable in this regard, yet they are fundamentally different.
Q: What’s the point of using an indoor tanning lotion?
Because tanning beds aren’t the healthiest innovation ever, it’s a good idea to keep them to a minimum.
If you want an almost instantaneous tan, they get the job done quickly, but it all comes with a health risk.
As a result, a decent tanning accelerator is required to assist reduce this risk while also saving time.
A tanning accelerator basically helps your skin react to UV rays in the tanning bed better and faster (and even the natural UV rays that you can get outside).
The skin produces melanin to protect itself from the damaging effects of these rays, which also gives it a darker hue.
The darker your skin appears, the more melanin it contains.
A tanning accelerator will contain melanin-boosting substances that will speed up the reaction of your skin to UV radiation, allowing you to tan faster.
If you go into a tanning bed without first using an indoor tanning lotion, the results will be less noticeable than if you had used one.
This means that in order to attain the same result, you’ll have to undergo repeated indoor tanning sessions.
This is a bad notion since, as previously said, tanning beds pose a health danger (more about in the Sources section below).
Furthermore, a decent indoor tanning lotion will provide additional skin benefits.
It might be anything from anti-aging chemicals to an anti-cellulitis solution to a dash of bronzer to add some colour or golden accents to your tan.
Overall, if you’re going to utilise a tanning bed, you should have an indoor tanning lotion with you.
Best Tanning Lotion to buy
- No Bronzers, this is a basic tanning intensifier.
- Biosine Complex: An advanced combination of Tea Tree Oil, Olive Oil and Panthenol to soothe, soften and moisturise.
- Native Australian Oils: Help to condition and moisturise your skin for a gorgeous glow.
- Fragrance: Classic Cocoa Dreams
- Size: 250ml
- Garnier Summer Body Dark Gradual Tanning Moisturising Lotion helps build a radiant, sun-kissed looking tan all year round
- Suitable for dry skin, this moisturiser intensively hydrates all day long leaving your skin feeling soft and supple with a gradual glowing tan
- Summer Body is specially developed by Garnier to build a natural looking even tan whilst providing 24 hour moisturisation
- Fast-absorbing with easy, uniform application for an even tan
- Garnier Gradual Tanning Moisturiser is dermatologically tested and suitable for sensitive skin
- Beautifully sun-kissed skin from UK’s No.1 Gradual Tan Brand**
- Dove DermaSpa Summer Revived Self Tanning Medium to Dark Body Lotion provides a natural, healthy-looking bronze glow
- This Dove tanning moisturiser combines the luxury of a home spa experience with our extensive expertise in dermatological care
- A pampering self tanning lotion that leaves your skin glowing and full of moisture
- This self tan lotion moisturises to the deeper layers of the skin whilst preventing moisture loss from the surface
- This multitasking lotion combines 5 super skincare benefits with a daily dose of glow so you can hydrate, protect, smooth, soothe and firm skin every day.
- Gradually build a sunkissed glow and lock in moisture for up to 72hrs with this easy to apply, subtly tinted and skincare powered daily lotion.
- Made with high molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid, plant-based Marine Algae and an antioxidant blend of upcycled Blueberry and Raspberry seed oils.
- Vegan-friendly, 100% natural tanning active & cruelty free.
- Suitable for sensitive skin and dermatologically approved.
- ABOUT THE PRODUCT: The Bondi Sands Dark Self-Tanning Lotion is simple to apply and gives a flawless finish, every time. Infused with Aloe Vera and coconut to ensure your tan lasts longer, this lightweight self-tanning lotion leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth. Our Dark Self-Tanning Lotion is perfect for those with a darker complexion or those who prefer a darker glow.
- WHY YOU NEED THIS: Our fast-drying, ultra-hydrating self-tanning lotion will leave your skin with a deep, long-lasting bronzed glow. Our Dark Self-Tanning Lotion can be left on the skin for 1-8 hours, depending on how dark you like your tan. The longer you leave it on the darker you get. That’s the great part - you can control your colour. For the deepest tan, reapply Bondi Sands Self-Tanning Lotion 30 minutes after initial application.
- HOW TO USE: For an even, streak-free tan ensure skin is clean, exfoliated, and free of any moisturisers. Apply Self-Tanning Lotion liberally to an Application Mitt before using long, sweeping motions to smooth over legs, arms, and body. Use the remaining residue on the mitt for face, elbows, and knees. Skin may be washed after one hour. For a long lasting dark tan, leave lotion on skin for up to 6 hours. Shower with warm water and gently pat skin dry.
- CAREFULLY FORMULATED: Bondi Sands self-tanning products contain dual tanning actives and are formulated green-based so that our customers result in a natural, warm beautiful tan that doesn't appear orange. All Bondi Sands products are proudly Australian Made and formulated to ensure a flawless, natural, streak-free finish. Our products are also vegan, cruelty free, and suitable for all ages.
- ABOUT THE BRAND: Inspired by Australia’s most well-known beach and a desire to make the ultimate tan accessible to everyone. Bondi Sands’ salon-quality formulas work to give you an even, naturally golden tan that hydrates and nourishes your skin, meaning you stay bronzed for longer. Featuring coconut scented foams, lotions, oils, and tinted and untinted formulas, the Bondi Sands range offers natural results and an application for every skin type. Welcome to Bondi Sands – the Australian tan.
- Nourishing Body Care
- Visible Glow
- deep care and moisture lock
- NATURAL LOOKING, SUN KISSED SKIN WITHOUT SUN DAMAGE OR CHEMICALS. The world's first 100% Natural DHA self-tan body treatment with full skin care benefits. Transforms your skin without any of those nasty streaks or blotches for a beautiful natural looking, golden glow with no orangey tones.
- ANTI-CELLULITE & ANTI-AGING WITH ZERO NASTIES. This lightweight mousse delivers an instant bronze glow that is fast drying and develops in just 2 hours to a long-lasting tan. Infused with raw virgin coconuts, botanicals and amino acids to hydrate, blurs pigmentation and stretch marks to perfect your skin. Created using our unique Cellushape technology enriched with powerful natural antioxidants like fig, banana, papaya and cocoa to improve signs of aging.
- SMELL SO GOOD, YOU’LL WANT MORE. Our Sunny Honey self tan has a tropical mango and guava fragrance that gives you the feel of an island escape. No more biscuit smells! Get ready to rock that tan glow! A little goes a long way as each bottle has roughly 260 pumps and can last approx 10-20 full body tanning sessions.
- EASY APPLICATION WITHOUT ANY TRANSFER. Lightweight, non-sticky formula to be applied by hand in circular motions. Use only a small pump to apply the tan to tricky-to-tan areas like the feet, hands, face and ears. Shower in warm water after 2 hours and gently pat skin dry. You may also wish to sleep in it overnight for a deeper and longer-lasting tan as our tan doesn't transfer! Psst, you may even use a fine-tipped brush or freckle stencil to make faux freckles!
- CRUELTY FREE, VEGAN AND ALL NATURAL. Formulated with only the highest quality natural ingredients. Our cutting-edge formula will moisturize your skin while giving you that stunning beach babe glow. Our Coco & Eve Sunny Honey tanning mousse is vegan, cruelty free, never tested on animals and toxin free made with all natural ingredients.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS FOR A STREAK FREE, FLAWLESS GLOW – formulated with a blend of natural organic ingredients including aloe vera, argan oil, borage seed and orange peel extract to give you a healthy, flawless glow
- NO FAKE TAN SMELL & EVEN FADE - No nasty fake tan smell when developing and no cracking or patchiness when fading
- ECO CERTIFIED AND ORGANIC – TanOrganic Self Tanning Lotion is the worlds first and only Eco Certified self tan with full Vegan Society, Organic, Cruelty Free and Ethical Association certification with a 100 score.
- ULTRA MOISTURING – aloe vera based to nourish, hydrate, revitalise and enhance the elasticity in your skin
- SUITABLE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN – TanOrganics’ gentle natural organic ingredients makes this product suitable for sensitive skin, fair skin, face and body, men and women
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!