Looking to buy the best toothpaste? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
How do you pick the right toothpaste for you?
What should I be on the lookout for in terms of ingredients?
You’d think the dental care market was a hub of innovation, with numerous toothpastes offering to defend against certain conditions or touting cleaning power that other pastes can’t equal, if you believed the commercials.
The majority of such statements should be treated with a grain of salt: the most crucial properties of a toothpaste are the most fundamental.
Fluoride content, in particular, is a major concern.
The vast majority of dentists feel that fluoride plays a critical role in preventing tooth decay, and NHS recommendations prescribe toothpastes with fluoride levels of 1,350 to 1,500ppm (parts per million).
Most commercial toothpastes contain fluoride, although certain natural or organic pastes may lack.
Other treatments that may be useful include Novamin, which attaches to the surface of the tooth to protect sensitive parts, and Triclosan, which has been shown to be an effective antibacterial agent in some tests.
The amino acids arginine and calcium carbonate have been demonstrated to neutralise plaque acidity.
But don’t get too excited about cutting-edge new chemicals.
Which toothpaste you use, as long as the fluoride content is enough, is less crucial than how and how often you use it, not to mention how long and properly you brush.
Is it worthwhile to use whitening toothpaste?
We all want brighter, whiter teeth, and whitening toothpastes can effectively whiten even the most discoloured teeth over time – or even in a single session with the most powerful whitening pastes.
The problem is that whitening toothpastes can create sensitivity and enamel abrasion, so if you use one for a long time, it could be damaging to your teeth.
Do sensitive tooth toothpastes work?
Sensitive toothpastes are supposed to be gentle on your teeth, with compounds like potassium nitrate that reduce sensitivity, allowing you to sip hot or cold liquids without yelping.
There are no serious negative effects, however the desensitising effects may take some time to develop.
Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Gum disease is another factor to consider.
Several toothpastes claim to help with therapy when used as part of a daily brushing practise, however toothpaste alone will not be as helpful as a short-term usage of chlorhexidine mouthwash.
Brushing all of your back teeth twice a day for at least two minutes and brushing (but not too hard) on the gumline to remove plaque is arguably more significant.
Using floss or interdental brushes, as well as switching to a decent electric toothbrush, will also help.
Is it necessary for youngsters to have their own toothpaste?
In fact, some children’s toothpastes contain insufficient fluoride to prevent dental decay, and children who have become accustomed to the fruity flavours of children’s toothpaste may find it difficult to transition to the proper, minty-tasting toothpastes that they will require later.
Children can use a low-strength toothpaste up until the age of six, as long as it includes at least 1,000ppm fluoride.
Children can use the same toothpaste as the rest of the family starting at the age of seven, as long as it includes 1,350-1,500 parts per million (ppm) fluoride.
The best toothpaste to buy
- This is the most effective whitening toothpaste
- It colour corrects tooth enamel, removing up to 15 years of discolouration and whitening the teeth
- Colgate's professional whitening toothpaste improves the brightness of your teeth leaving them up to 3 shades whiter
- Safe way to whiten your teeth
- It contains optimal fluoride concentration for enamel remineralisation which ensures healthy, strong teeth
- Oral-B kit of 4 Oral-B 3DWhite Luxe Perfection toothpastes shipped in recycled carton
- Removes up to 100 Percent surface stains
- Actively protects against surface stains for 24 hours with twice daily brushing
- Nourishing fluoride strengthens enamel
- Avanced whitening and and strong peppermint flavour for a long-lasting freshness
- Discover the only whitening toothpaste professionally designed to reverse years of yellowing whilst also providing an instant whitening effect from the very first brush
- It’s dual-action formula contains the same whitening ingredient that dentists use to remove deep-set tooth stains
- An Advanced Brighteners System that is clinically proven to make your teeth appear instantly whiter by reflecting blue light
- With results from day 1, you’re just a few brushes away from a winning smile
- Note Packaging may Vary
- Removes up to 100% of surface stains in 3 days
- Innovative stains dissolving particles unlock trapped surface stains on teeth and protect against new stains
- Enamel safe formula
- Contains natural pearl extract
- Mint flavour
- Step 1: Perfection toothpaste will remove up to 100 Percent surface stains in 3 days
- Step 2: Whitening Accelerator to protect from new surface stains up to 24 hours
- Enamel safe whitening treatment
- For best results use twice per day
- Contents : 1 x 3D White Luxe Perfection toothpaste and 1 x 3D White Luxe Whitening accelerator
- Smart Foam system
- Freshens breath
- Enamel friendly
- Maximum enamel and dentin restoration protection.
- ✤ STRENGTHENS AND PROTECTS - iWhite Instant Whitening Toothpaste has been specially formulated with strong fluoride-ions which will help to remineralise your enamel and prevent cavities. It whitens on and below the tooth surface, prevents tooth staining, and restores enamel. To achieve the best whitening results, it's important to maintain a routine. You can combine our toothpaste with our whitening kit (monthly) along with our sonic toothbrush, mouthwash and interdental whitening (daily).
- ✤ ACTIVE WHITENING - PAP is a new whitening technology that results in an effective and deep whitening of the teeth. It is a strong stain-removing molecule that breaks down discolourations of the teeth into little pieces without affecting the structure of the teeth, making it safe for enamel and gums. PAP also inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth preventing plaque, which results in a more intensely white, bright smile without causing teeth or gum damage.
- ✤ POLISHING & ANTI-STAIN EFFECT - iWhite Instant toothpaste contains specially developed micro-purifying crystals, which give the toothpaste an intense polishing effect. This restores the teeth’s natural white shine and accentuates it. Polyphosphatic particles protect against tooth staining with a direct whitening effect. They remove tooth staining quickly and effectively and inhibit the growth of plaque, giving a visible whiter effect and protecting teeth from the formation of new plaque.
- ✤ CLINICALLY PROVEN INGREDIENTS - Our product has been formulated by marketplace leaders in innovation for dental care, and is trusted, tested and created by one of Europe's leading dental manufacturers. Our ingredients contain fluoride, which is vital for dental health, to strengthen and remineralise teeth. It strengthens the tooth enamel, making it more resistant to tooth decay, and it also reduces the growth of plaque and the plaque's ability to produce acids that cause tooth decay.
- ✤ WHY IWHITE? - iWhite is a well-established brand, trusted by customers globally and is available in almost 50 countries. It was developed and is marketed worldwide by the manufacturer Sylphar in Belgium. iWhite Instant Teeth Whitening has been marketing a range of revolutionary whitening products since 2008, with the purpose of making your teeth whiter and removing stains on the teeth. All iWhite products are hydrogen peroxide-free, clinically tested, 100% safe, and are easy to use at home.
- FAST & NATURAL TEETH WHITENING | Our pioneering enzyme based toothpaste interacts with the sugars in your mouth to create a NATURAL bleach. This teeth care ingredient works by interacting with the sugars in your mouth and can remove up to 82% of stains from your teeth. A natural way to remove wine, coffee & cigarette stains. We included Fluoride to help prevent decay and cavities so you can use this toothpaste everyday. This naturally occurring mineral strengthens your enamel by bonding with it.
- A TOOTH ENAMEL SAFE CLEAN | We use tiny Pacific Sea Salt crystals in our instant clean toothpaste, these act as a gentle polisher. With an RDA of 82 this is a low abrasion formula. It is 35% less abrasive than your average whitening toothpaste for example activated charcoal or baking soda and safer than using most hydrogen peroxide products.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS THAT LIGHTEN | We’ve included Californian crystals that are like highlighter…but for teeth. They leave a subtle opal hue on your teeth making them instantly appear brighter. Refreshing Californian mint flavour that gives you invigorating long lasting fresh breath.
- VEGAN, CRUELTY FREE + BIODEGRADABLE TUBE | We back sustainability. We use a biodegradable sugarcane tube, clean, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients; no synthetic bleach means zero sensitivity and often fast whitening results. Your bright white smile is why we exist, if you are not happy contact us via amazon and we will connect you with our dental experts to understand why you aren’t getting the best results you deserve!
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE | Make sure you have a toothbrush in good condition. Brush for 2 mins, twice a day WITHOUT WATER on your toothbrush. Our formula already contains water so adding more dilutes the effectiveness. For older stains that have built up over years our customers have seen the best whitening results over time.
- Get a dazzling whiter smile
- First teeth whitening toothpaste with advanced stain fighter technology, containing a unique blend of 3 whitening minerals
- Whitening toothpaste removes 3 times more surface stains versus fluoride toothpaste
- The whitening toothpaste also fortifies enamel for strong teeth
- A combination of special silica system, calcium pyrophosphate and tetra potassium phosphate
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!