Looking to buy the best wi-fi extender? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
You’ll be missing out no matter how fast your broadband connection is if your Wi-Fi isn’t up to par.
You don’t, however, need to buy a new router to improve your wifi performance.
Choose from our list of the best Wi-Fi extenders below to improve the signal in all regions of your home while also potentially benefiting from a quicker connection.
How do you pick the best Wi-Fi extender for your needs?
Is a Wi-Fi extension the only solution?
Before you buy an extender, make sure it’s your wireless network’s performance, not just a slow internet connection, that’s slowing you down.
You may use a broadband speed checker to measure download speeds at various distances from your router and observe how they change as you move around your house.
Before you spend money on a new piece of equipment, check out a few different wireless settings, such as changing radio bands.
You may find that this improves the signal from your existing equipment and eliminates the need for an extender.
What kind of speeds might I expect?
Some extenders claim data rates of up to 1,733 megabits per second, which is about 216 megabits per second and significantly quicker than conventional broadband connections.
In practise, the speeds you see in your own house will be much, far lower for a variety of technological and practical reasons.
Anything over 120Mbits/sec (15MB/sec) is generally acceptable.
Netflix recommends a connection speed of at least 5 megabits per second for HD streaming and 25 megabits per second for 4K video.
As a result, a robust, solid Wi-Fi network should be able to handle numerous simultaneous high-resolution video streams with ease.
What’s the difference between a powerline extender and a repeater?
These are the two most common forms of extenders, and they both perform the same basic function.
They do, however, work in various ways.
A Wi-Fi repeater is a single box that uses Wi-Fi signals to transfer data back and forth between your router and your wireless devices.
If your router is in the front of the house and your home office is in the back, for example, you can put a repeater in the middle to amplify the signal in the office.
A powerline networking kit is made up of two or more small units that plug into mains outlets around your home.
Box number one uses an Ethernet cable to connect to your router, while box number two broadcasts a wireless signal from wherever it is and relays the data to the first box via your mains electrical cabling.
Powerline systems are more expensive than repeaters, but they’re a hassle-free solution to expand a network connection to places that are otherwise difficult to access and can be put up more quickly.
Is a mesh Wi-Fi system a better option for me?
Mesh networking systems are similar to Wi-Fi repeaters in that they allow you to place several nodes throughout your home to cover a bigger area than a single extender could.
A mesh system, on the other hand, may be over your requirements if you don’t have a large home.
A standard extender is much less expensive and much easier to set up.
Most repeaters can be plugged in, pressed a button, and that’s it. Setting up a mesh system usually requires setting up a new router, whereas most repeaters can be plugged in, pressed a button, and that’s it.
Is it necessary for my extender to have Ethernet ports?
Ethernet sockets may appear antiquated in today’s wireless world.
However, some devices, such as printers and set-top TV boxes, require wired connections, and connecting them or a PC to your extender through Ethernet will provide you with a more dependable and often faster connection than wireless.
Connecting devices to an extender through Ethernet, on the other hand, will take longer than connecting directly to the router since the signal must first travel over the airwaves from your router to the extender.
What other characteristics should I be on the lookout for?
Most Wi-Fi extenders have a “web portal,” which includes a number of additional capabilities (some offer a mobile app as well).
This can be accessed through a web browser on your phone or laptop.
Simply type in the manufacturer’s address, which is usually listed on the extender itself or, failing that, somewhere in the handbook.
Some of these web portals will allow you to set up a guest network with its own name and security settings so that visitors may browse the internet without gaining access to your local equipment.
You might also receive access controls, which enable you choose who can connect, and scheduling, which lets you turn off the connection at specific hours – helpful if you don’t want your kids going online in the middle of the night, for example.
When selecting an extender, consider the physical characteristics.
The majority of units plug directly into a wall outlet, and some types are so large that they prevent other outlets from being used.
If you’re running low on mains sockets, a front-mounted mains passthrough socket might be really beneficial, and this isn’t something you can take for granted.
The best Wi-Fi extenders to buy
- Boosts wireless signal to previously unreachable or hard-to-wire areas flawlessly
- Compatible with 802.11 b/g/n and 802.11ac Wi-Fi devices
- Dual band speeds up to 750Mbps. System requirements: Microsoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, 8, 10, Mac OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux
- Miniature size and wall-mounted design make it easy to deploy and move flexibly
- Ethernet port allows the extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices
- Maximum Coverage - Extend Wi-Fi coverage by up to 1,115 m2(12,000sq. ft), with Intelligent Signal Light can help to find the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage by showing the signal strength
- AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi - Simultaneous 600Mbps on 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps on 5GHz, equipped 1 Gigabit Port
- Three Antennas - Three adjustable external antennas provide optimal Wi-Fi coverage and reliable connections
- AP Mode - Create a new Wi-Fi access point to enhance your wired network with Wi-Fi capability, with TP-Link Tether App can easily access and manage your network using any iOS or Android mobile device
- Ultimate Compatibility - Extend the range of any Wi-Fi router or wireless access point, 3 years manufactory warranty
- Range Extender mode boosts wireless signal to previously unreachable or hard-to-wire areas flawlessly
- Miniature size and wall-mounted design make it easy to deploy and move flexibly
- Easily expand wireless coverage at a push of Range Extender button
- Tether App allows easy access and management using any mobile device
- LED Control function includes a Night Mode for peaceful sleep
- Super-fast powerline Speed – HomePlug AV standard compliant, stable and high-speed data transfer rate, ideal for Ultra HD streaming and online gaming
- WiFi booster – extend up to 300 Mbps Wireless connections to previously hard-to-reach areas of your home and office. System Requirements : Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/10, Mac, Linux
- Multiple Ethernet ports – provide reliable high-speed wired connection for game consoles, smart TVs and NAS. Operating Temperature: 0°C~40°C (32°F ~104°F)
- One Touch for super range extension - Wi-Fi Clone button simplifies your WiFi configuration and helps build a seamless unified home network with one simple touch
- Plug, pair and play - set up your powerline network and start enjoying fast, seamless wired/wireless connection in minutes
- AC2600 dual band Wi-Fi - simultaneous 800 Mbps on 2.4 GHz + 1733 Mbps on 5 GHz, four fixed external antennas extend Wi-Fi coverage by up to 14,000 sq ft
- Improved compatibility - extend the range of any Wi-Fi router or wireless access point. Power Consumption 12 Watt （max power consumption）
- 4 × 4 MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology - simultaneously transfers data to multiple devices for 4x faster performance, with Beamforming technology, RE650 can send targeted Wi-Fi signal to individual devices for stronger connections
- Gigabit Ethernet port - provide faster wired connections to smart TVs, computers and gaming consoles
- AP mode - create a new Wi-Fi access point to enhance your wired network with Wi-Fi capability
- ☄【AC1200 High Speed WiFi Booster】QLOCOM WiFi booster support dual band 5GHz & 2.4GHz speeds of up to 1200Mbps. Exclusive combine WiFi function can automatically switch to high-quality band for better performance. Enjoy online 4K video streaming, playing games without buffering or interruption.
- 🏠【Extend WiFi Coverage Up to 1500 Sq.ft】Our WiFi Extender equipped with 4 high gain antennas, full coverage of 360°, extend Wi-Fi Coverage up to 1500 Square feet. Transmit a smooth and fast WiFi signal to attic, basement, garage etc.
- 🔌【Switch Wireless/Wired Network Arbitrarily】Our WiFi Repeater support Repeater/AP/Bridge/Router mode with Ethernet port. It can be work in Wireless Network or Wired Network by your choice, meet your different Internet needs.
- ✔【WPS 6s—Setup done!】Super easy setup by pressing WPS button 6s with our WiFi range extender and your router, memory function only need once setting, Plug and Play. No APP download.
- 🔐【Security & Encryption Protected】Supports advanced wireless security encryption WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK, WPA / WPA2, avoid all unauthorized access, keep strangers and hackers outside. Also it made of heat-dissipating environmental materials and Air vent design on both side effectively prevent overheating problem.
- Extends dual-band Wi-Fi across your home to eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones.
- Creates a Mesh network by connecting to a OneMesh router for seamless whole-home coverage.
- Operates over both the 2.4 GHz band (300 Mbps) and 5 GHz band (867 Mbps)*1 for more stable wireless experience
- Smart signal indicator helps to find the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage by showing the signal strength.
- Push the WPS button to easily set up a Mesh network you can uniformly manage from the Tether app or Web UI.
- 🏘️【Stable Signal for Home】 The wifi extender booster equipped with 2 external antennas which can eliminate dead area and improve the reach of your existing Wi-Fi coverage. Wifi booster wireless makes far-distance transmission a breeze. Dual-band high-speed connection provides happy surfing HD video and online games.
- 🚀【High Speed Wifi Extender Booster】 This Wifi Extender Booster has a High Speed of up to 1200Mpbs (2.4Ghz/300Mbps and 5Ghz/867Mbps). Enjoy online video streaming, gaming etc by connecting your WiFi devices to the internet network extended by this wifi extender booster without buffering or interruption.
- 📶【Universal Compatibility】 Compatible with 99% wifi routers (802.11a / b / g / n / ac) supports all 5 GHz frequency bands . The extender can connect up to 20 wireless devices at the same time, the signal is still stable and smooth.
- 🗝️【Multi-mode Application】 AP / Router / Booster mode to meet different demand easily. Repeater mode is to expand your existing wifi signal. AP mode is to send out a new wifi signal. The ethernet port allows the extender to work as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices.
- ✅【Easy to Install】 No need to install any software for this wifi booster. Follow the user manual, you will find the setup for phone and PC quite simple. If you have any questions (installation issues, compatibility issues, after-sales service issues) please feel free to contact us, we are at your service 24 hours a day
- 【Super Signal Coverage】High Speed and High range coverage to boost the wireless coverage in all WLAN networks ,Extend WiFi signal to dead zone,create a stronger signal with transmission rate up to 300Mbps.You can surf the Internet, watch TV, play games or video chat anywhere without worrying about getting stuck or disconnected.
- 【Supports 2 Modes】Wi-Fi Extender has Ethernet Ports with Repeater/AP, can easily turn your wired Internet connection into a wireless access point.most home users will set it up in one of two ways: Range extender (it connects to your existing wireless network wirelessly and enhances/extends the signal) or Access Point (it connects to the Internet or your existing network via Ethernet and then broadcasts the wireless signal .
- 【Wide Compatibility】Compatible with any wireless network devices that comply with the aggrement of 802.11N/B/G, Router, Modem and Wi-Fi devices like Smartphone,Tablet, Laptop,Smart TV etc.
- 【Safe Internet Environment】This Wifi extender can maximize network security, ensure your network safety problem. It plays an effective role in preventing others from stealing your network, protecting your important data, and avoiding Wi-Fi interference and privacy issues. Ideal for home, company and travel in use.
- 【Easy set up】Easy to install and use, Wall plug design and portability.Just press the One-touch WPS Button on Your Existing Router, can be simply setup on your phone/tablet/PC. We provide 24-HOUR technical service and 18-MONTH Warranty.
- EXTENDED WIRELESS COVERAGE: Adds WiFi range coverage up to 1,500 sq. ft., and connects up to 20+ devices such as laptops, smartphones, speakers, IP cameras, tablets, IoT devices and more
- SEAMLESS SMART ROAMING: Uses your existing network SSID name so you never get disconnected as you move around your home or office
- FAST WiFi 6 PERFORMANCE: AX1800 speed (up to 1.8Gbps) using Dual-Band WiFi technology (up to 600 + 1200 Mbps), and 4 simultaneous streams provides more capacity so more devices can use WiFi at the same time
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Works with any wireless router, Gateway, or cable modem with WiFi, and is optimized for all WiFi 6 routers. Compatible with existing WiFi devices and new WiFi 6 devices like iPhone 11
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Simply plug in game consoles, streaming players, or other wired devices into the four 1 Gigabit ports for maximum speed
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!