Buying guide for best cork yoga mats
Looking to buy the best cork yoga mat? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the right one for you.
Yoga is a popular type of exercise and meditation because of its capacity to restore the mind and body.
You’ll need a yoga mat to keep your feet in place while doing the poses and transitions with smooth accuracy.
Mats are composed of a variety of materials, but as society has become more environmentally concerned, manufacturers have sought for materials that are both durable and safe for people and the environment.
Cork yoga mats are one of the most environmentally friendly and long-lasting choices on the market today.
A high-quality cork yoga mat will keep your feet in position, resist bacteria, and roll up for convenient storage and portability, whether you’re doing downward-facing dog or warrior two.
This buying guide will assist you in determining whether or not a cork yoga mat is the best fit for you and your lifestyle.
As you take the next step toward strengthening your body and soothing your mind, take a deep breath and relax.
Why should you invest in a cork yoga mat?
Cork’s inherent structure inhibits the formation of microorganisms, making it easier to clean than other materials.
Cork mats are frequently advertised as self-cleaning due to their antibacterial characteristics, although this is not the case.
These yoga mats may not require as much upkeep as other mats, but they will still need to be cleaned from time to time.
Eco-friendly and long-lasting
Cork yoga mats provide a number of benefits over PVC, recycled rubber, and even natural materials like cotton and jute.
The bark of cork oak trees is used to make cork.
After the bark has been peeled away, the trees renew it, making it a highly sustainable resource.
After the bark is removed, the trees absorb more carbon dioxide, therefore using the bark has a good environmental benefit.
Other types of yoga mats
Yoga mats that are good for the environment
Cork isn’t the only eco-friendly material utilised in yoga mats.
While cork is the greatest choice for longevity and grip, there are a few alternative options.
Cotton: Yoga mats made of organic cotton, also known as yoga rugs, have an absorbent surface and can be used directly on the floor or on top of another yoga mat.
As a result, they’re wider than your normal mat, starting at roughly 30 inches across.
Because of their absorbency, these mats are ideal for those who do hot yoga or sweat a lot because moisture does not make the mat surface slick.
Cotton mats are frequently machine washable, but the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions should be followed.
While these give your feet a strong grip, they may slide on a wood floor.
Jute: Jute is a vegetable fibre thread that is commonly used to manufacture indoor/outdoor carpets and yoga mats.
It’s long-lasting and environmentally friendly, yet it has a distinct feel that may take some getting used to.
It grips well, although not as well as PVC or cork.
PVC (polyvinyl chloride) or vinyl yoga mats are the most affordable and widely used mats on the market.
Until they are wet, they have outstanding grip and stickiness.
When PVC mats get wet, the surface becomes slick, which isn’t ideal for hot yoga or people who sweat a lot.
PVC is also the least environmentally friendly of all the mat materials.
This synthetic substance is created from petrochemicals, which are not renewable or environmentally friendly.
Rubber mats offer a lot of the same features as PVC mats, however they have a little less gripping force.
While rubber isn’t as environmentally friendly as cork, cotton, or jute, recycled rubber mats have a far lower environmental impact than PVC.
Although these models are more expensive than PVC, they are still less expensive than some of the other eco-friendly alternatives.
Consider the features of a cork yoga mat.
Size: A standard yoga mat is 24 x 68 inches in size, however mats in 72, 74, and 84 inch lengths are also available.
If you require even more area, search for a mat with a 30 inch extended width.
You can transition between postures without stepping off the mat if you use a mat that is the right length.
You should be able to lie totally flat on the mat with your head and feet on its surface.
You’ll probably need an extra-long mat if you’re taller than typical.
Design/materials: The design of a yoga mat is rather simple, although there are a few variations that may fit your needs.
Cork has a good grip and provides excellent stability when in use.
To prevent slipping, all cork mats include a rubber backing, with some backing layers being thicker than others.
The mat is usually more expensive the thicker the cork layer is.
There are additional variants that feature a carrying case or handles to make transporting the mat to class or while travelling easier.
The average cork yoga mat is 3 millimetres thick.
Some travel mats are as thin as 1.5 mm, while others with additional padding are as thick as 6 mm.
Thin mats take up less space when travelling, and thicker mats protect sensitive knee joints better.
Unless you have one of these precise requirements, a mat of medium thickness will suffice.
The frequency with which you clean your mat is determined by how frequently you use it.
If you use the mat frequently or sweat more than the usual person, you should clean it after each use to avoid a buildup of perspiration and filth.
If you’re only using it once a month, a thorough cleaning should suffice.
Cleaning your yoga mat more frequently will keep any accumulated oil and filth from flying home with you if you travel with it or use it in a studio setting.
Wipe off the entire mat with a moist cloth for rapid cleaning.
It’s basic and quick, so it won’t take up too much of your workout time.
You may also speed up the process by using a spray bottle filled with water; simply spray, wipe down, and you’re done.
If you’ve been using your mat in public, you can also use a light soap.
Before rolling it up again, make sure to rinse it and let it dry.
Q. Does cork have a distinct odour?
Cork has a natural, woody odour that fades over time.
There is a tiny layer of rubber coating on cork yoga mats, which can emit an odour.
Through the cork, most individuals are unable to detect the coating.
Look for a mat with a thin rubber coating if you’re very sensitive to scents.
Q. Cork yoga mats appear to be quite smooth.
Is it possible to get a good grip with them?
A. Any yoga mat, cork or otherwise, must have a good grip factor.
A regular cork mat’s smooth appearance can be misleading.
The cork’s structure makes it stickier when it becomes wet, giving excellent grip for hot yoga practises.
As soon as you begin, a small spritz from a water bottle may be enough to engage the grip.
Q. What are the different types of cork yoga mat backing materials?
A. Cork mats come with a variety of backing materials, some of which are more environmentally friendly than others.
The most environmentally friendly are those that are made of natural or recycled rubber, foam, or latex.
The term “natural” refers to the absence of petrochemicals in the manufacturing process.
The best cork yoga mats to buy
- Natural materials, Non-Toxic, Eco-Friendly
- ECO-FRIENDLY & SUSTAINABLE: Our gorgeously smooth environmentally friendly cork and natural rubber base is sustainably sourced, renewable & completely recyclable. We have also minimised any unnecessary packaging.
- ULTIMATE COMFORT AND GRIP: We use the best natural rubber and cork. The rubber base is thick and bouncy for exceptional comfort, that is both kind to your joints and is completely non-slip. Once rolled out, the mat won’t move and your Ecoga mat will never roll at the ends, unlike lower quality brands. Our cork is soft, non-flake and its grip increases the more you sweat, making the mat ideal for hot yoga or more strenuous sessions.
- IMPROVES BODY POSITIONING: The purposefully designed centre line is ideal for body alignment, improving body positioning and focus throughout your yoga session.
- ANTIBACTERIAL + HYPOALLERGENIC: Studies have shown that an average gym yoga mat can contain more germs & bacteria than a toilet seat! The properties of cork are naturally antimicrobial & hypoallergenic protecting you from germs and dust. As cork is impermeable to liquids, it is also incredibly easy to clean too.
- INCLUDES A CARRY BAG AND CARRY STRAP: When you purchase an Ecoga yoga mat, you also get a free high-quality cream canvas bag that comfortably fits your yoga mat, as well as a matching cream carry strap.
- ✅ EXCEPTIONAL GRIP ★ The ideal mat for hot and power Yoga! With its natural and non-slip cork surface, this mat gives you excellent grip when you need it the most, while the TPE underside stops the mat moving around during high intensity sessions. It is water and sweat resistant, as the cork provides an even stronger grip when slightly wet. And the mat doesn’t stick to your skin when sweating. Yogis and yoginis will never again have to use a towel to dry the training mat during practice!
- ✅ SUPERIOR COMFORT AND STABILITY ★ At 183 cm (72″) long and 61 cm (24″) wide, the KAIZENLY Pro yoga mat non slip ensures comfort for everyone and its cork surface is very pleasant to touch. The 5mm (0.20″) thick, supportive mat comfortably cushions the body whilst giving the right resilience and stability to more challenging Yoga positions. Lightweight, easy to roll and with a carrying strap, this thick yoga mat is the perfect take-anywhere companion and travel yoga mat.
- ✅ BETTER AND SAFER PRACTICE ★ The alignment marks help you to adjust the position of your hands and feet, facilitating the correct posture and balance of the body. This non slip yoga mat lays perfectly flat on the floor, without inconvenient curly edges. And there is no break-in period, you can step on the mat as soon as you open it!
- ✅ DURABLE AND TRULY PLANET-FRIENDLY ★ This double-layered fitness mat is made of natural cork and closed-cell recyclable TPE, offering high durability and superior tear resistance. Hypoallergenic and non-toxic, it is 100% free of PVC and latex. The cork naturally ensures the hygiene of your mat for longer. Extremely eco-friendly, it’s a sustainable and renewable resource. As a proud member of the “1% for the Planet” global movement, we donate 1% of our sales to help protect our Planet.
- ✅ 100% HAPPINESS GUARANTEE ★ We are a Swiss brand with strong commitments to product excellence and environmental standards, devoted to deliver a unique yoga experience to you. Your satisfaction is our motivation and we are confident that you will love your new KAIZENLY Pro Mat. However, if for any reason you are not satisfied, we will give you a guaranteed full refund.
- 【Non-Slip Cork Mats】Eco friendly 100% natural cork surface + recyclable and biodegradable Black TPE backing.It is water and sweat resistant, as the cork provides an even stronger grip when slightly wet.
- 【Yoga Mat Measure Approx】72.0 x 24.0 x 0.16 inch / 183.0 x 61.0 x 0.4 cm (L x W x Th).Weight: 986g.Lightweight, easy to roll and with a carrying Cotton strap and Yoga Bag, this exercise mat is the perfect take-anywhere yoga companion.
- 【Natural Cork Yoga Mats】 The combination of highland wood and TPE environmental protection compound, softwood contains polymer resin and tannin compound, offering high durability and superior tear resistance.
- 【Practical and Comfortable】 with natural cork surfaces, exercise yoga mat comes with comfortably cushions spine, hips, knees and elbows on hard floors, to give you a comfortable feeling and great experience.
- 【Comfortable Fitness Mat】Cork is simply the best surface for your hot yoga and any sweaty practice.the best choice for beginner ,advance yogis and yoginis who are on the go.even exercise mat for Cardio Crossfit and Pilates. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We will always be there and thank you for shopping with us.
- 【Extra Wide Design,More Free to Movement】Unique extra wide design,32 inch wide make you feel more freedom,more large movements can be performed on our yoga mats without worrying about the width.
- 【Eco-Friendly Cork Surface and 6mm Extra Thick】Eco-friendly cork surface design, sweat absorb and no slip,with tpe bottom,avoid from moving of the yoga mat in floor when you doing exercise.Besides,iodoo yoga mat is 6mm thick,when you lay down you will not feel the solid of floor.
- 【Non Slip Surface and Bottom】The cork surface would absorb any liquid keep the surface dry and not slippery,the bottom of yoga mat is TPE material maintain friction with the ground.
- 【Unique Yoga Bag】The self-designed canvas bag, with unique patterns and simple design, makes it more convenient for you to bring your yoga mat when you go out, and do yoga anytime, anywhere.
- 【Never Fold】 - Unrolls to a perfectly flat yoga mat every time thanks to the durable TPE bottom. And with our 100% happiness guarantee and manufacturer's promise, you'll be practicing for many years to come!
- Non slip: Thanks to cork's structure, our mats are naturally non-slip. The grip actually increases as you sweat, making it suitable for all types of yoga.
- Dual-sided: This premium yoga mat features an all-natural, sustainable cork on one side and a non-toxic, lightweight TPE on the other.
- Germ free: Cork is naturally antimicrobial, resistant to dust & mites, making it an ideal material for those who suffer from allergies and asthma.
- Reversible design: features two unique textures and designs to suit any mood.
- Suitable for all types of yoga & sports: pilates, exercise, stretching or just relaxing.
- Mirafit 6mm Yoga Mat - Eco friendly 100% natural cork surface - Black TPE foam backing
- Please note: bonding of this mat uses an eco friendly adhesive. Due to the sealed nature of the packaging there will be a strong smell when opening the mat. this is normal and the smell will dissipate over time to become less noticable
- Cork surface improves in grip as you sweat - Perfect for yoga, Pilates & fitness classes - Ideal for use on hard surfaces - Absorbs impact & keeps hands/feet steady during use
- Lightweight & easy to roll - Includes handy carry strap
- Measurements: length: 183cm / width: 61.5cm / thickness: 0.6cm
- Use Anywhere The non slip mat rolls up tightly using the storage belt / strap, allowing you to also carry it over your shoulder as a portable Pilates mat for gym and outdoor use.
- Sweat Resistant Strong Grip Sweat and water will not stick to skin with the non slip yoga mat, its antibacterial surface absorbs little wetness & grip can actually improve as you use your new fitness mat.
- Not Just For Yoga Cork and rubber are highly flexible, offer a lot of give and bounce withstanding lots of use. These fitness mats go straight into your routine for stretching, weightlifting, practicing yoga or consistent high intensity workout regimes.
- Eco Friendly Materials Free from PVC and latex, the workout mat yoga mats for men and women use recyclable TPE, cork and rubber construction materials creating a more sustainable, planet friendly thick yoga mat.
- 100% guarantee We offer a 100% guarantee on workout mats for home, yoga mat thick varieties and all other models. If you are not satisfied with any gym mat thick, Pilates mats or any other product please contact us with your enquiries.
- Invisible Alignment Lines-Hidden Alignment line design. Sun and moon theme. When you need the position line, you can find the relevant mark in the pattern. If you don't need it, it is a complete theme pattern. Beautiful and practical.
- 7mm thickness and 1.3kg-TPE bottom is much lighter than rubber. It is more portable and easier to take care of
- Good antiskid cork characteristics-the more perspiration, the better antiskid, especially good for hot yoga, give you the most perfect antiskid experience
- Natural and sustainable-Its all-natural cork keeps you free from toxic materials so it’s safe to use for daily practice.The TPE layer on the back adopts high-purity TPE, which does not reduce the cost of materials because the bottom layer does not directly contact the human body. It is also environmentally friendly. Whether you use it or throw it away later, it will not do any harm to the human body and the environment, and reduce the pressure on garbage disposal
- There is no cork with the same texture in the world. EKE cork yoga mat is made of natural cork, which is a symbol of your identity and personality
- New technology, folding cork Yoga Mat: Rare in the market. It is suitable for customers who like high-grade cork material(the more perspiration, the better antiskid) and want portable products at the same time
- Cartoon design: cute, suitable for ladies and children.It’s also a design which children may like, you can make it a gift for your kids
- Thickened cork layer: Cork layer is thicker than most of the cork mats in the market
- 5mm thickness, lightweight and portable:The mat weighs only 2.2 pounds/1kg. It's very portable and easy to take care of
- Cleaner and hygienic: Unlike traditional yoga mats, when folded, the dirty side of the foldable yoga mat that is in contact with the ground will not touch the clean side that is in contact with the human body
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!