Looking to buy the best Cool Box? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
A nice cooler is a must-have whether you’re a frequent camper, enjoy road vacations, or simply enjoy a relaxing afternoon picnic outside. When you’re on the road or spending time in nature, there’s no other way to bring your favourite foods and drinks with you – and keep them cold.
You can keep goods fresh in a cooler no matter how hot it gets. Both prepared foods, such as pasta salad, and items that you want to cook later for camping, such as steak or burgers, are protected in your cooler. You may also fill it with soda cans, water bottles, or your favourite beer, ensuring that you always have cold refreshments on hand.
While purchasing a cooler may appear to be simple, selecting the proper type might be challenging. It’s crucial to understand what size is appropriate for your needs, which model is most comfortable to carry, and what other characteristics might make a cooler more useful for you and your travel or recreation partners.
If you’re in the market for a cooler right now, have a look at our featured models. Continue reading our purchasing guide for general advice on selecting the finest cooler for your needs.
WHY DO YOU NEED A COOLER?
You’ll need a high-quality cooler if you travel frequently with perishable food or drinks that you want to keep chilled for more than a day. A cooler is especially important for anyone who frequently goes camping or on road trips.
It’s especially useful if you’re travelling with a large company because a cooler with a large capacity can hold enough food and drinks for several individuals.
If you routinely take day trips to the beach, park, or other outdoor sites where you plan to picnic, you may also require a cooler. In certain circumstances, though, a smaller cooler will generally enough.
If you’re throwing an outdoor party, a cooler will come in handy. You can keep soda, beer, water, and other drinks in it so that attendees can get cool drinks at any time during the event.
COOLERS OF MANY TYPES
Hard, soft, and beverage-style coolers are the three most common types.
When you think of a cooler, you generally think of a hard cooler. It has foam insulation that is hard plastic or another solid substance covered. Hard coolers, which have a chest-like form, come in a variety of sizes and are usually quite durable.
A soft cooler is usually made of durable canvas and is small enough to be carried by one person. They aren’t as long-lasting as hard coolers.
A hard cooler that is smaller in size is the conventional beverage cooler. It normally holds a few cans of soda or bottles of water, as well as a sandwich or two, making it ideal for day trips like an afternoon at the beach.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT WHEN CHOOSING A COOLER
Gaskets for the latch and the lid
Because most larger coolers have a hinged lid, it’s critical to choose one with a solid lock to keep the interior cool and the contents safe.
Check the gasket on the lid as well. It should produce an airtight seal to ensure that the ice inside the cooler lasts as long as possible and that no cold air escapes.
Weight and material
Fabric, plastic, and metal are the most common materials used in coolers.
Each material has a varied weight, which is crucial to remember because a cooler becomes considerably heavier after it’s full of ice, food, and drinks.
Fabric coolers are typically made of sturdy canvas with flexible foam insulation. They are lightweight and meant to store only a little amount of food and beverages.
Molded plastic and foam insulation are used to make plastic coolers. They’re simple to clean and quite light, making transporting them a breeze.
Metal coolers are the finest insulators, but they are also the heaviest. They’re normally more expensive, and because they dent easily, they’re not always the most durable alternative.
Handles for coolers
Because you’ll be carrying your cooler around a lot, choose one with durable, ergonomic handles.
Because there’s nothing to break or snap off with moulded handles, they’re usually the most sturdy. However, in a high-quality cooler, flap handles can still be useful.
Because they are ergonomically intended to fit your hand, handles with textured or rubberized grips are usually the most comfortable to wield.
It’s beneficial to have a bottom drain on a large cooler. This eliminates the need to lift or tilt the cooler to remove melting ice.
Look for a cooler with a bottom drain plug that you can easily pull out to empty it.
The optimal cooler size is determined by how you want to use it. Larger versions may appear to be the greatest option, but hauling around a cooler that is larger than you require is inefficient and inconvenient.
A 5 to 10 litre cooler may suffice if you simply need it to hold a few drinks. A cooler with a capacity of about 20 litres is usually suitable for day or overnight trips. A 35 to 45 litre cooler is usually plenty for a weekend travel.
If you frequently go on vacations where you’ll need food for three or more days, a cooler with a capacity of 60 to 70 litres is a good choice. If you’re going to be gone for a week or more, you’ll need a cooler that can carry up to 110 litres.
Keep in mind the size of your travelling party as well. For example, a 45-litre cooler will contain enough food for a weekend vacation with two people, but for a group of four or five people, you’ll need one that holds 70 to 95 litres.
If your cooler holds more than 25 litres, wheels can be quite useful. You won’t have to lift the cooler when it’s full of heavy food because it’s easy to wheel around. However, keep in mind that wheels can diminish the inside area of a cooler.
When the ice in a cooler starts to melt, a ribbed interior bottom can keep your food from becoming soggy and waterlogged. It permits water to flow beneath rather than around the contents inside, ensuring that your meal does not end up soaking in a puddle.
Insert trays are also a useful feature to have in a cooler. They usually sit in a ridge at the top of the cooler’s interior, separating little goods from larger items at the bottom.
You might also want to check for a cooler that has dividers. Dividers work similarly to insert trays in that they help you organise your food more efficiently.
SUGGESTIONS AND HINTS
Because coolers are made to keep their temperature, it’s preferable to chill yours before packing it. Fill it with an extra bag of ice two to three hours before you plan to fill it to allow the temperature to fall down. Remove the old ice and replace it with fresh ice, as well as your food and beverages.
Keep in mind that frigid air descends. So, while loading your cooler, start with all of the food items and then stuff it securely with ice on top. Another option is to pile food with ice, with the thickest layer of ice on top.
To keep your cooler cold, it’s preferable to use huge chunks of ice. The greater the ice chunks, the longer it will take for them to melt.
Before packing your cooler, make sure it’s clean. Even if you washed it after the last time you used it, dust and debris could have accumulated in the meantime.
If you can’t drain the water and pack in additional ice, don’t drain the melted ice from the cooler. Draining the water allows air to enter the cooler, and air is the worst enemy when it comes to keeping coolers cool.
Q. Can dry ice be used in a cooler?
A. Dry ice can be used to keep food frozen in most coolers, although some are constructed expressly for it. If you plan to use dry ice, it’s advisable to have one of those models. To keep the dry ice cold in a traditional cooler, you may need to add blankets or newspaper.
Q. How long does a cooler keep food and drinks cool?
A. The length of time your cooler keeps its contents cool is determined by various factors, including the quality of the cooler, the outside temperature, how often you open it, and how filled it is. A full cooler will keep food and beverages cold for two days on average, however you can prolong the period by adding fresh ice everyday.
Q. How do you clean a cooler properly?
A. A simple solution of water and mild dish soap works well for both hard and soft coolers. However, make sure to properly rinse the cooler after cleaning to remove any soap residue.
- Coleman Xtreme Cooler, large cooler box with 66 L capacity, high-quality PU full foam insulation, cools up to 5 days, portable cool box; perfect for camping, festivals and fishing
- LARGE CAPACITY: With a 66-liter capacity, the cooler box offers enough space to keep bottles, cans, BBQ food, snacks, and more, cool and fresh for days; outlet valve for easy draining of melted ice
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE COOLING: Through high-quality PU full foam insulation, including in the lid, the insulated box keeps drinks and food cold for up to 5 days; perfect for camping, picnics and festivals
- DURABLE MATERIALS: The ice box is made from tough HDPE plastic and impresses with its stylish design; sturdy handles on each side make transporting the box easy
- EXCELLENT FEATURES: Thanks to its robust design, the cooler can also be used as a seat; the lid also features recesses for securing cans and bottles
- Carry Handle - Easy Clean
- Rugged and Super Lightweight
- Dimensions (in cm): (Width)48cm x (Depth)30cm x (Height)39.5cm
- Capacity: 35 Litres (approx)
- The freezer blocks are great for hot summer days when having a picnic, BBQ or dining outside
- Large 30L capacity passive cooler box, Insulated cool box for Hot/Cold food/drink, Lightweight and Durable. Please note: You can use this either as a cooler box OR as a hot box (do not mix hot and cold items in the box), so it can be used all year round !
- Securely fastens at sides to form an airtight sea, Operating temperature: from -30 ° C to + 60 ° C.,
- Size : 40 x 30 x 38 cm (approx.) - Big enough to carry most 1.5 litre bottles upright
- Ideal for Camping, Outdoor Recreation, Picnics, BBQ's, Hiking, Festivals, Beach and Travel
- Keeps contents fresh for 9 hours - The lid can be used as a table or tray - Can be cleaned easily with a damp wipe
- Lightweight portable chiller ice box with PU foam insulation to keep contents chilled for up to 2 days, works best when you keep chilled food/drinks along with ice cubes or freezer packs
- Large capacity: 28 L capacity for food and drinks, 38 x 0,33 Litre cans can be stored inside; the cooler is perfect for long road trips, days spent on the campsite, or even sporting events
- The convenient bail handle design make transportation a breeze no matter how much content you put in your cool box
- We care about your safety; the cool box interior is BPA free and therefore safe to carry food, cold drinks and fruits (compliant to the EU food stuff regulation EN 12456)
- Ice Box Dimensions (Outer/Inner): 45 x 34 x 39 / 39 x 26 x 31 cm; Weight 2.6 kg; Material (Outer/Inner): HDPE, BPA free; Insulation PU foam; Capacity 28 L; Ice Retention: 2 dayss
- Lightweight and robust construction
- Handle locks lid in place
- Polystyrene insulation
- External dimensions approx - 43cm x 30cm x 45cm (Length x Width x Height); Internal dimensions approx - 33cm x 20cm x 43cm (Length x Width x Height includes lid)
- Keeps cold for 8 hours
- Cool Riser Technology improves cooling performance by elevating from hot surfaces
- Robust and break-resistant made of black EPP: like our other thermal containers, this cooler is made of expanded polypropylene (EPP), a special plastic that is much more stable and durable than polystyrene. It has excellent insulation values coupled with very low weight (only 1 kg light).
- Durable and lightweight: the insulated box is lightweight without sacrificing durability and stability. Quality made in Germany.
- Best insulating properties (- 40 ° to + 120 °), hygienic and dishwasher safe, easy to clean.
- Without internal moulding, 26 mm thick sides with a high-density foam.
- - -
- Large 32 litre capacity
- Carry handle for easy transport that also locks the lid in place
- Easy Clean
- Colour: Blue With A White Trim
- Dimensions (in cm): Width: 45 Depth: 29 Height: 42
- 50L CAPACITY – Extra large capacity ideal for fitting vast quantities of food or drink. Up to 6 x 14” pizza boxes can fit!
- MULTIUSE – This cool bag is fantastic for either a family picnic, a trip to the beach but also ideal for takeaway delivery drivers
- HOT & COLD – The insulated design will keep your hot food hot and your cold drinks cold for a long period of time. Ice packs are recommended when using for cold drinks
- FEATURES – Padded carry handle for easy and comfortable carrying. Mesh side and top clear pocket included. Wipe clean inner material for easy maintenance
- SPECIFICATIONS – Length: 45cm x Width: 37cm x Height: 35cm. Material: 600D PVC coated polyester
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!