Tomatoes are susceptible to a variety of problems, including blossom end rot, fungal infections, insect pests such as tomato hornworms, aphids, and whiteflies, and early and late blight.
Pruning, weeding, and mulching all help preserve and maintain plants until harvest time, but the best tomato companion plants can take care of a lot of the work for you.
The majority of knowledge about companion planting is based on anecdotal evidence, but these are several tried-and-true tomato partners:
On and off the plate, basil and tomatoes are inseparable.
This colourful, aromatic plant is thought to boost output by repelling insects, particularly flies and hornworms.
Another classic accompaniment is parsley:
It promotes development and attracts tomato hornworm predators, such as ladybugs, but keep it away from mint.
Garlic has been shown to repel spider mites, and a garlic spray helps protect plants and soil from blight.
Squash and boreage.
Tomatoes, borage, and squash are a popular companion planting trio for a variety of reasons, the most prevalent of which being timing.
Borage, a flowering herb with blue star-shaped blooms that attracts pollinators and repels tomato hornworms, is a popular choice for pollinators in general.
It not only protects tomatoes while improving their growth and flavour, but it also produces a beautiful, eye-catching garnish.
Then, when late-summer squash (which requires pollinators to ripen) is ready to bloom, the groundwork has already been built.
Nasturtiums and French marigolds.
Nasturtiums and marigolds (not to be confused with the d
elicious, beautiful calendula, or pot marigold) are particularly good tomato companions.
Marigolds have been demonstrated to repel root-knot nematodes, parasites that feed on the nutrients in a tomato’s root system, while nasturtium, because to its peppery, bitter oils, functions as a general pest repellant—but don’t let them get too near.
Nasturtium spreads quickly and can engulf other plants if not kept in check.
Asparagus exemplifies the benefits and drawbacks of effective companion planting:
Tomatoes have a compound called solanine that repels asparagus beetles, and asparagus helps to cleanse the soil of root-knot nematodes that are attracted to tomatoes.
Chives are an important allium in any herb garden because they fight aphids, worms, and mites.
- Tomato planter; Growing tomatoes just got so much easier with this self-watering tomato planter, easy to move around the garden, easy to use and a stylish planter too
- Effective; The planter is designed with a reservoir in the base that stores water and allows it to get right to the roots, giving your tomatoes maximum nutrition with minimal evaporation, meaning you can water less frequently, it also has a huge 4-litre water capacity!
- Manoeuvrability; The planter has 4 concealed wheels so that you can easily move it around the garden and ensure your tomatoes get maximum sunshine
- Durable; Made from heavy duty terracotta-effect plastic, the planter is fully weatherproof and durable so you can grow tomatoes year after year. Made in Germany
- Versatile; The planter measures H36 x W66 x D38cm, the ideal size to grow three tomato plants at one time, it’s also perfect for growing other plants like raspberries, or other fruits and vegetables, you could even use it for growing your favourite flowers without the worry of remembering to water them
- ★【Best Choice】: Package Includes: 6 pack - 3 gallon. Get the best planting bags at the lowest price and buy them at once to meet all your needs.
- ★【Sturdy Fabric Material】: This kind of plant graw bag is made of thickened nonwoven fabric wihich is fairly permeable,environmental-friendly and heavy duty & durable, wear-resisting, highly tear resistant, easy to clean, can be used repeatedly.
- ★【Perfect for Plants Growing】Prevents roots from circling, while allowing air to travel into the root system. Great drainage and air circulation allows the plant roots to grow well.
- ★【Great Drainage】: Nonwoven fabric pots means it will not retain excess water, allowing your roots to breathe, translating to a healthier, more vigorous growth
- ★【Portable and Easy to Storge】: The plants planted in the bag can be transported anywhere and anytime, Smart pots are perfect for indoor or outdoor use and easy to fold for storage.
- can be flat packed and has tough reinforced handles and drainage holes at the base
- designed to be easy to use
- quality product from haxnicks
- Germination time: 1.0 months
- A planter that provides optimal conditions for growing tomato plants.
- The set is equipped with rings that surround the plant and stabilise the crop.
- Made of plastic.
- Dimensions: 39.2L x 39.2W x 31.5-153H cm
- Colour: anthracite.
- On rolling casters, this good-looking, terracotta-style planter is made from lightweight, durable polypropylene with a unique self-watering system that allows direct root watering.
- With a built-in overflow, plants literally take care of themselves even when you’re away on holiday. Great for small spaces, you can wheel it indoors if there’s a snap frost!
- Holds approx. 40L soil and takes 3.5L of water. H36cm x W66cm x D38cm. Canes sold separately.
- 4 levels; Increase the height of your tower as your plants grow
- Self-watering; Allows plants to take in water as they need it
- Easy to use; Simply fill the planter with soil and add water to the well
- Easy to assemble; Full assembly instructions provided
- Guarantee; 12-month guarantee
- [HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL] – TEJ GARDEN grow bags are made of high quality thickened fabric which makes them stronger and more durable. They are designed with reinforced handles to permit easy lifting and moving of plants. Also, the textile is eco-friendly and can be easily recycled.
- [HEALTHY PLANTS] – The grow bags are made of highly breathable material which allows the roots of a plant to breathe creating a more robust root system. Improved soil aeration and drainage produce healthier plants.
- [REUSABLE] – The grow bags can be reused year after year. They are easy to clean, practical and the foldable design makes it easy to store without taking up extra space.
- [WIDE APPLICATION] – These versatile grow bags are suitable for planting a wide variety of plants such as flowers, vegetables, fruits and herbs. The bags can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- [One Pack – 5 Bags] - TEJ GARDEN grow bags are available in three different sizes. Each pack contains 5 bags of chosen size. 5 Bags of 17 lit/4.5 gallons 5 Bags of 27 lit/7 gallons 5 Bags of 36 lit/9.5 gallons
- Practical - Maximise the yield from your tomato plants with our specially designed Tomato Planters. This self-watering planter has a reservoir in the bottom of the planter to provide a more constant supply of water to plants
- Helpful - There's also a cane slot in the base which fits canes (sold separately) up to 17mm diameter to provide additional support and stop canes falling over
- Sustainable - Made of 30% recycled plastic and recyclable. Our products are frost proof, UV colour stable, and made to last they are also reusable
- Unique - The Clever Pots range has been designed to make gardening easier, with pots and accessories that allow you to customise the product to their individual needs
- Reliable - All our products are designed to aid both novice and experienced gardeners, supporting them with intuitively designed features and accessories that make growing easier and plants happier
- 2 x 28cm 11" Garden Tomato Pot 12L each Vegetable Planter Plastic Pot With Drainage Holes at the bottom. Ideal starter pot for tomatoes.
- ➤【Eco-Friendly Fabric】Grow bags made from eco-friendly thickening non-woven fabric(EU standards), it will not pollute the environment and affect the quality of vegetables.Washable and reusable for years. The breathable non-woven fabric of the plant bags ensures optimal drainage and ventilation
- ➤【Grow Healthy】 Growing bags are Moisture-proof, breathable, flexible non-woven fabric combined, Potato grow bag allows roots to breathe enough, grow healthier, and boosts plant growth and yields. Suitable for indoor and outdoor planting
- ➤【Multi-Function】Plant grow bags Ideal for gardens, balconies and any outdoor space. Not only be used to plant potato, radish, cucumber, aubergine, courgette, and others vegetables. Also be used as storage bag, such as put the dirty clothes, pack the tools and so on
- ➤【Light And Easy To Move】Vegetable growing bag made of thickening nonwoven fabric with 2 handles,very easy to move.lightweight and rugged, reusable for years! Look forward to your harvest this year and in the future
- ➤【Save Space】Vertical garden growing bags are ideal for creating bright functional walls or vertical herb gardens. Comparing with normal planters, this kind of hanging growing bag allows you to grow large amounts of plants without taking much space. This is perfect for plant lovers who live in apartments, which can effectively save your space and enhance your room's beauty and natural breath
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!