Looking to buy the best Hedge Trimmer? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Every gardener understands that frequent mowing is an essential aspect of daily gardening, and that failing to do so will leave your lawn messy, unruly, and unsightly. It’s strange, therefore, that many individuals tend to overlook the importance of hedge maintenance.
Hedgerows, shrubs, and bushes that are not regularly pruned and trimmed can grow quickly and create a mess in your landscape.
If you wait long enough, your hedges will reduce your garden, leaving you with less green area to appreciate and possibly causing nasty spats with neighbours who are annoyed by your cypresses invading their property.
As a result, any homeowner with bushes and hedgerows in their yard needs a hedge trimmer just as much as a lawnmower.
However, with so many various models to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to begin when purchasing a hedgetrimmer. That’s why we’ve put together this quick guide to the fascinating world of hedge maintenance, including a rundown of some of the things to keep in mind as well as some machine options that might fit your needs.
Hedge trimmers: Corded, Battery-Powered, and Petrol
When purchasing a hedge trimmer, one of the most significant considerations is the power source, as different types of hedgetrimmers are ideal for different uses. Corded electric, cordless battery-powered, and petrol hedge trimmers are the three primary types, each of which will serve the demands of different users.
Corded Electric Hedge trimmers: Because they require access to a mains power supply, corded hedge trimmers are best suited for usage in smaller gardens. Nonetheless, these devices are often simple to operate, lightweight, and affordable, making them excellent tools for beginning users.
Another reason corded hedge trimmers are becoming more popular is the lack of exhaust fumes, excessive noise, and service requirements associated with petrol machines.
The length of the cable is crucial here, so make sure your machine is set up correctly for the size of your garden. You’ll also want to get a residual-current circuit breaker (RCCB) to prevent problems if you cut the power cord by accident.
Cordless Hedge trimmers:
Hedge trimmers that run on batteries have the same clean, quiet, and convenient operation as corded trimmers, but with the added flexibility to roam in larger or more difficult gardens.
With contemporary lithium-ion batteries offering enough run time for uninterrupted cutting and cutting performance that may occasionally match that of a petrol machine, they are perfect for the majority of household hedge maintenance jobs.
Remember to verify the machine’s typical run time before purchasing, since there are few things more aggravating than having to stop and recharge your batteries with half of the garden still untrimmed!
There are now battery-powered hedge trimmers appropriate for professional use for individuals searching for a bit more punch. Husqvarna’s 536 Li HD60X, for example, has a silent PMDC 36V 4-Brush electric motor and a long-lasting lithium-ion battery that can provide up to 4,000 cuts per minute with its 60cm double-sided trimmer blade.
This makes it more than capable of tackling challenging hedge maintenance tasks, but because it is battery-powered, it may be utilised in noise-sensitive places (such as school and hospital grounds) without exposing those close to the annoying boom of a petrol version.
Hedge trimmers powered by petrol:
Petrol hedge trimmers are often reserved for the largest gardens and professional applications, owing to their enormous cutting power and ability to work while not connected to a power source. This makes them ideal for use on big properties and scrubland, where the most difficult cutting labour is generally performed.
Petrol hedge trimmers are heavier, noisier, and emit more pollutants than electric hedge trimmers. They also require more maintenance and can be more costly to operate, and refuelling can be a cumbersome procedure at times. As a result, these devices are not typically advised for inexperienced users.
However, if you do decide to purchase one of these powerful devices, you will be spoiled for choice. A hedgetrimmer like Sanli’s HSD2655 will handle the job nicely for general hedge maintenance, with its 55cm reciprocating double-blade delivering plenty of cutting force while being manoeuvrable.
For tougher commercial hedge care, a machine with a longer blade, such as Efco’s TG 2800 XP’s 75cm tempered steel blade, will be able to handle even the most difficult jobs with ease.
Hedge trimmers: Double-Sided vs. Single-Sided
The difference between single-sided and double-sided hedgetrimmers is another crucial detail to remember.
Single-sided hedge trimmers are specialised machinery used to trim extensive expanses of hedgerow. This is because they can have a longer blade than a double-sided trimmer without the machine becoming unbalanced.
Clipping collectors, which help assure ease of cutting by eliminating loose vegetation as you work, may be included (or compatible with) single-sided hedge trimmers.
Commercial customers working on estates with enormous boundary hedges (or even a hedge labyrinth) may appreciate the efficiency of a machine like Husqvarna’s 226HS99S, which has a stunning 108cm blade perfect for trimming long, straight portions of hedgerows in parks or on large estates.
Double-Sided Hedge trimmers:
The majority of customers will prefer to buy a double-sided hedge trimmer since these machines have shorter blades for better manoeuvrability and the ability to swiftly change the cut direction.
Double-sided trimmers are appropriate for most household gardens because of their versatility and ease of use for shaping shrubs and bushes.
Cutting Action, Blade Length, Tooth Gap, and Other Considerations
Finally, we’ll give you a quick rundown of some of the other elements that might impact your choice of hedgetrimmer. In many situations, these will only be relevant for specialised or commercial uses, but even novice users might benefit from becoming familiar with the language surrounding hedgetrimmers, especially if they have large hedgerows to manage on their land.
Hedge trimmers with a double cutting action, in which two blades work against one other to slice through resistant vegetation, are more common these days than those with a single cutting action.
These devices are more popular than single-action hedge trimmers, which have one moving blade and one stationary blade and cut more cleanly and vibrate less. It’s crucial to distinguish between double-sided and single-sided machines (a single-action hedge trimmer will usually still have a double-sided blade).
Blade Length: In general, the longer the blade, the more you’ll be able to accomplish in a short period of time. Anyone shaping hedgerows and shrubs or operating in a limited space will want to choose a machine with a shorter blade because length comes at the sacrifice of manoeuvrability.
The phrase “tooth gap” refers to the spacing of the teeth on the blade of your hedgetrimmer, which controls the greatest diameter of the plant you may cut. A tooth gap of 16mm-20mm will suffice for most ordinary trimming jobs, however machines with bigger tooth gaps are available for the toughest commercial cutting jobs.
Weight and Handling Ease: This is important since you need to be able to cut precisely to avoid destroying your hedgerows (or even causing an accident).
The rule is straightforward: lighter is better (especially for inexperienced users) and will help you maintain control while working. The length of the blade (longer blades make hedge trimmers more difficult to manage) and the style of handle your machine has are also crucial considerations (rotating handles are quite common and will allow you to adjust your grip when taking on tricky cutting jobs).
- Syneon chip - effectively controlled energy for every project, optimal balance and low weight for effortless Hedge cutting
- Battery pack PBA 18 V 2. 5 Ah W-B (1 600 A00 5B0), Compact quick charger AL 1830 CV (1 600 A00 5B4)
- Soft grip on the rear handle, multi-position front handle and transparent hand guard
- Anti-blocking system ensures continuous cutting performance
- Sound pressure level 58 dB(A); Sound power level 79 dB(A)
- Powerful 420W motor
- 45cm dual action asymmetric steel blades
- 16mm max cut capacity
- Lightweight, compact & ergonomic design
- Bale handle for improved comfort & control
- Lightweight ergonomic design with soft-grip handle for easy operation
- Powerful 450 W Bosch motor, 50 cm blade and 16 mm tooth capacity
- Diamond ground blades for a clean cut
- Comes complete with a protective blade cover
- 2 years parts and labour guarantee
- Stain-free shear blade surface of glittering silver obtained by non-electrolysed nickel plating that features high anti-abrasion surface for long lasting coating
- Anti-vibration structure; 5 cushions to absorb vibration from the blade and motor crank section
- User replaceable blade; The blade can be removed without dis-assembling the housing
- Battery capacity warning lamp; Blinking red shows battery power has low charge and solid red, The battery has no charge. The battery protector will shut off the power
- 2 handed operation; The motor only starts when both the switch and the top handle are Engaged
- The Flymo EasiCut 520 Hedge Cutter has a blade length of 50 cm and a blade gap of 19 mm.
- The easicut 520 has powerful 500 W electric motor.
- Flymo hedge trimmers have uniquely designed handles to make cutting hedges and bushes easier and more comfortable.
- This product comes with a handy 10 m cable.
- A lightweight and easy to use hedge trimmer with a powerful 550W motor and precision blades for fast cutting action – cuts through 16mm thick branches and twigs
- Ergonomically designed with a soft grip handle for ease of use, the 60cm cutting blade oscillates at a rate of 1700/min for a smooth cut without snagging
- Lightweight at only 3.2kg with a 10m cable, the hedge trimmer also features a two-stage safety trigger to prevent accidental operation and hand protector shield for safe use
- Comes complete with a blade cover and cable holder for neat storage when not in use. The cable may be black or orange.
- Manufacturer 2 Year Warranty Included
- LONG REACH: This fantastic telescopic hedge trimmer is ideal for clipping tall, awkwardly-sited or hard-to-reach hedges and shrubs thanks to the 1.3m extendable pole providing you with a total extension of 2.4m from handle to head. Also allows you to trim low hedges without having to bend down and strain your back. The Hedge Trimmer electric cordless hedge trimmers with battery and charger cuts branches up to 14mm in thickness.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: The Terratek pole hedge trimmer has a high performance 20V motor which allows you to tackle any hedge with ease, without any struggling or straining. The Powered by a Lithium-ion battery, it delivers up to 45 minutes run-time from one single charge. Charge time 1 hr, A great alternative to a petrol hedge trimmers). Comes complete with 2 20V batteries and 1 Charger
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEAD: A 120° 5 position pivoting head allows for the easy trimming at the top or bottom of hedges. LIGHTWEIGHT - Weighing at just over 3Kg, the lightweight design makes it ideal for clipping tall, awkwardly-sited or hard-to-reach hedges and shrubs. Dual action 45cm in length hardened steel blades with aluminium blade support. EXTRA SAFE - The Hedge trimmer cordless comes with a 2 stage safety switch to protect you while using the long reach hedge trimmers.
- EASY SAFE OPERATION: This Long Reach Cordless Hedge Trimmer is nice and simple to operate, featuring a one-handed power trigger and safety switch which prevents accidental starting. The Cordless Hedge Cutter is easily portable around the garden, there are no cables for you to cut through or restrict your movement making it one of the best portable garden tools on the market.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY: We offer a 24 month guarantee on our Terratek Hedge timmers cordless for your added peace of mind
- INTERCHANGEABLE: This NETTA cordless 2 in 1 grass and hedge trimmer comes with 2 quick-changing blades which makes it ideal for cutting hedges, shrubs and grass without the need for any extra tools.
- QUICK CHARGING TIME: The powerful 7.2V lithium-ion battery has a running time of 50 minutes and a charge time of just 4 hours. This means you can spend more time doing the jobs you need to do and less time waiting for the product to charge.
- SAFETY MATTERS: This cable-free hedge trimmer comes with a 2-way switch to prevent accidents. The safety lock ensures that this tool will not turn on unexpectedly.
- DIMENSIONS: Grass Shearing Blade – 100mm | Hedge Trimmer – 170mm.
- WARRANTY: This NETTA product comes with a 365-day warranty to give you peace of mind when purchasing from us.
- LONG REACH: This fantastic telescopic hedge trimmer is ideal for clipping tall, awkwardly-sited or hard-to-reach hedges and shrubs thanks to the extendable pole providing you with a total extension of 2.75m from handle to head. Also allows you to trim low hedges without having to bend down and strain your back. The Hedge Trimmer electric cuts branches up to 16mm in thickness.
- POWERFUL HIGH PERFORMANCE: At 550W the Electric Hedge Trimmer fantastic for a range of trimming tasks around your garden and outdoors. Lightweight design with new soft grip rubber handles gives complete mobility and comfortable operation. Due to the powerful 550W motor providing you with smooth continuous use. (A great alternative to petrol hedge trimmers).
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEAD: A 120° 4 position pivoting head allows for the easy trimming at the top or bottom of hedges. Weighing at just over 3.5Kg, the lightweight design makes it ideal for clipping tall, awkwardly-sited or hard-to-reach hedges and shrubs. Dual action 45cm hardened steel blades with aluminium blade support. The Hedge Cutter Electric comes with a 2 stage safety switch to protect you while using the long reach hedge trimmers.
- EASY SAFE OPERATION: This Long Reach Corded Hedge Trimmer is nice and simple to operate, featuring a one-handed power trigger and safety switch which prevents accidental starting. Electrical Cable 10m. PLUG IN AND GO: Due to the garden tool coming complete with a 10m electric cable with a UK 3 pin plug you can start to trim your bush straight away.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY: We offer a 24 month guarantee
- 55cm dual-action laser-cut blades with 19mm cutting gap and hardened steel for longer life and lasting sharpness
- Extended runtime: up to 75min trimming per charge on a 5.0Ah battery (not included)
- Wrap around aux handle for a comfortable grip in multiple orientations
- Xenoy TM housing for excellent durability and impact resistance
- Compact and lightweight design for less user fatigue whilst trimming