Looking to buy the best Home Security Camera? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Thanks to the widespread availability of connected, linked home security cameras, keeping an eye on your home, kids, or pets has never been easier. These days, they’re everywhere, allowing you to play Big Brother from wherever you are. It’s also usually simple: just open an app, choose your camera, and you’ll be able to observe whether criminals have just broken in or whether the dog is jumping around the sofa.
But it’s not just about live broadcasting. These cameras are packed with smart technology that allows them to record video when they detect movement or sounds, recognise the faces of familiar people, and even alert you when they detect strangers. They can also tell you if a courier has left a package on your doorstep while you’ve gone out to get a pint of milk.
However, with so many options and the growing popularity of security cameras, deciding which one to buy can be difficult. We’re here to assist you with that. We’ll go over some of the features to look for in the guide below, as well as how to tell the difference between decent and fantastic security cameras.
How do you pick the best security camera for your home?
What kind of security camera do you require for your home?
Indoor and exterior cameras are the two primary types of home security cameras. Indoor cameras are normally less expensive and run on mains power (sometimes via a USB adapter), whereas outdoor cameras are usually weatherproof and run on batteries, making DIY setup easier.
While you can go wire-free indoors, keep in mind that battery-powered cameras must be recharged on a regular basis, which can be a hassle, especially if the camera is mounted in a difficult-to-reach location.
Is the quality of the video important?
Yes, in a nutshell. You might not be able to pick out critical features like number plates or faces if your camera isn’t capable of shooting sharp, detailed video in all lighting circumstances. Thankfully, the days of smeary, muddy low-resolution video have largely passed us by, and today’s cameras will capture at 1080p or greater.
The way video is processed, on the other hand, is what distinguishes today’s top cameras. On this front, HDR is the most crucial feature. These HDR cameras take the video signal from the camera and brighten the dark regions of the image while ensuring that the bright areas aren’t blown out and difficult to notice. Cameras that don’t have HDR have a hard time balancing bright and dark areas, making it difficult to see important details.
Aspects such as night vision are also important to consider. Most cameras these days feature a night vision mode that uses infrared LEDs to illuminate the area directly in front of them, allowing them to see in the dark.
A camera with one or two LEDs is normally enough to light up a small or medium-sized area, but you may need a camera with numerous LEDs for larger rooms or outdoor settings. For big outdoor spaces, consider a floodlight camera, which combines brilliant white floodlights with cameras for the ultimate intruder deterrent.
What is the cost of a subscription?
Most modern home security cameras will save a clip of motion or audio that you can see or download to your phone or laptop once motion or audio has been detected. While many home security cameras include a basic free storage service so that you can use your camera without incurring continuing charges, the free service is frequently limited.
Indeed, some manufacturers, such as Ring, don’t offer any access to online storage beyond a trial time, and you’ll have to pay for anything other than live feed access after that.
It’s also worth remembering that what is initially free may not remain so in the future. In 2017, Y-Cam made headlines when it abandoned its cloud storage service, giving consumers 14 days’ notice before charging them for a service that had previously been free.
With this in mind, cameras that can record video snippets locally on a microSD card should be considered. While this isn’t as flexible as cloud storage, it does allow you the option of continuing to use a camera if the company raises pricing above your budget.
What other characteristics should I look for in a home security camera?
Pan and zoom: Some cameras contain a motor and optics that enable them to be moved around remotely. It’s a convenient function, but it’s not required. Most home security cameras have a large field of view and can provide a view of your entire room if strategically placed.
Integration of a smart assistant and a speaker: Many manufacturers tout Alexa or Google Assistant integration in their specifications, but while some of these capabilities are beneficial, they should be taken with a grain of salt.
They usually relate to the option to ask your digital assistant to display the stream from your camera on your smart screen speaker, which we haven’t found to be that useful.
Detecting objects, people, and pets: Although it may appear to be a gimmick, the ability to filter a huge number of motion-triggered video clips by the type of motion detected can save a lot of time. Some cameras also allow you to attach names to faces so that you can be notified when the camera detects specific people – this is a particularly handy feature if you want to know when your kids return home from school.
- No Hub Required - Works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub;
- 1080P HD with Night Vision - 1080P full HD for always on live stream and night vision up to 30ft.;
- Two-way Audio - With built-in microphone and speaker, you can keep in touch with your family anytime, anywhere;
- Motion Detection and Activity Zones - Custom activity zones and notification will sent to your phone once motion is detected;
- SD Storage - Local storage supports up to 128GB Micro SD card (SD card is not provided).
- Picture Perfect Surveillance - Live-stream and record footage in crystal clear 1080p HD. The 135° diagonal field of view on your security camera outdoor allows you to see exactly what is happening in and around your home.
- Half-Year Security from 1 Charge - Avoid frequent trips to charge the battery and enjoy 180-day battery life from just one charge.
- Detailed Night Vision - View recordings or live footage in crisp clarity, even at night, for a clear view of who’s there.
- The Alerts That Matter - Human detection technology enables your security camera outdoor to intelligently detect body shape and face pattern. Ensuring you are only alerted when a person, and not a stray cat, approaches.
- Ready for Any Weather - With an IP67 weatherproof-rating, this security camera outdoor is built to withstand the elements.
- Blink Outdoor is a wire-free battery-powered HD security camera that helps you monitor your home day or night with infrared night vision.
- With long-lasting battery life, Blink Outdoor runs for up to two years on two AA lithium batteries (included).
- Blink Outdoor is built to withstand the elements to help you protect your home indoors or out, come rain or shine.
- Get motion detection alerts on your phone with the option to customise motion zones in the Blink Home Monitor app so you’re only alerted when you need to be.
- See, hear and speak to visitors with Live View in real time and two-way audio features on your Blink Home Monitor app (live view is not continuous).
- Monitor the inside of your home day and night with our 1080P HD indoor plug-in smart security camera with motion detection and two-way audio.
- Get alerts on your smartphone whenever motion is detected, or customise motion detection zones so you can see what matters most.
- Choose to save and share clips in the cloud with a free trial of the Blink Subscription Plan included with your purchase, or locally with the Sync Module 2 and USB drive (each sold separately). Trial valid until October 2022. You will be notified at least 30 days before your free trial expires with information on how to subscribe.
- See, hear and speak to people and pets in your home from your smartphone with Blink Mini’s live view and two-way audio.
- Set up in minutes: plug in the camera, connect it to Wi-Fi, and follow the instructions in the free Blink Home Monitor app.
- Motion Detection with Sound-Light Alarm --- DEKCO security camera can detect objects in motion. Once the object in motion is detected, the home CCTV will activate the 4 floodlights and do sound-light alarming. Meanwhile, the App on your IOS / Android device will receive instant alerts directly. Double alarming ensures the safety of your home.
- 350°Viewing Angle and Remote Monitoring --- DEKCO outdoor wireless WIFI security camera supports horizontal 350° and vertical 90° pan-tilt rotation; It monitors all-around surroundings without blind spots to protect the safety of your property and family. Wireless ptz camera supports live view on your mobile phone through downloading the free App "CloudEdge".(please note the camera needs to use the power adapter to supply, it isn't a battery camera. )
- Bright Floodlights and Full-Color Night Vision --- DEKCO dome surveillance camera is equipped with infrared/full-color/auto (smart) night vision mode. Built-in bright floodlight function; The floodlight camera also has amazing clarity with 4x digital zoom. Even in extremely dark environments, it can display very clear images. Allow you to customize your best night vision experience.
- Two-way Audio and IP66 Weatherproof --- DEKCO home security cameras have built-in microphones and speakers to establish a conversation between you and your visitors. If there is an unwelcome person, you can let him leave. Talk in real-time, and live a relaxed life. PTZ camera can withstand bad weather and has good outdoor working performance.
- 2.4GHZ WiFi and App Support --- DEKCO wireless WiFi security camera system supports 2.4GHz WiFi (not 5GHz WiFi), a built-in micro SD card slot(Not included SD card) which is compatible with the micro SD card up to 128G. DEKCO 360° camera outdoor also supports encrypted secure cloud storage. Feel free to contact the "DekcoCare" online support team if you have any questions, we offer lifetime support for DEKCO brand products.
- 2K Resolution: When it comes to security, the key is in the detail. See exactly what is happening in and around your home in crisp 2K clarity. (1080p while using HomeKit)
- Half-Year Security Camera Outdoor from 1 Charge: Avoid frequent trips to charge the battery and enjoy 180-day battery life from just one charge.
- Detailed Night Vision: View recordings or live footage in crisp clarity, even at night, for a clear view of who’s there.
- The Alerts That Matter: Human detection technology enables the security camera outdoor to intelligently detect body shape and face patterns. Ensuring you are only alerted when a person, and not a stray cat, approaches.
- Ready for Any Weather: With an IP67 weatherproof-rating, the security camera outdoor eufyCam 2C Pro is built to withstand the elements.
- Blink Indoor is a wire-free, battery-powered security camera that helps you check on your home day or night with infrared night vision.
- With long-lasting battery life, Blink Indoor runs for up to two years on a single set of AA lithium batteries (included).
- Get customisable motion alerts on your phone through the Blink Home Monitor app so you’re only alerted when you need to be.
- See, hear and speak to people and pets in your home with Live View in real time and two-way audio features in the Blink Home Monitor app (live view is not continuous).
- Designed so you can set it up yourself in minutes. No wiring or professional installation required.
- 2K VIDEO: zoom in on objects up to 12x and see clearer details and colours in 2K with your outdoor home security camera with a 160° viewing angle
- COLOUR NIGHT VISION: Use your outdoor camera to see what’s lurking with colour night vision or black and white
- INTEGRATED SPOTLIGHT: Light up the night and identify unique details with the motion activated integrated spotlight
- WEATHER RESISTANT: The Indoor and Outdoor Home Security Camera is built to withstand rain, snow, cold and sun for reliable protection
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES WITH MAGNETIC CHARGER: Convenient, fast charging, rechargeable batteries take the expense out of home security
- No Hub Required - Works with any Wi-Fi router without the need for a separate hub
- 3MP High Definition with Night Vision - 3MP(2304 × 1296) high definition for always on live stream and night vision up to 30ft
- Two-way Audio - With built-in microphone and speaker, you can keep in touch with your family anytime, anywhere
- Motion Detection and Activity Zones - Custom activity zones and notification will sent to your phone once motion is detected
- SD Storage - Local storage supports up to 256GB Micro SD card (SD card is not provided)
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine reviews from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!