Looking to buy the best telescope? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Do you want to purchase a telescope but aren’t sure where to begin? Take a look at our guide on picking your first scope.
“How should I choose a telescope?” “How much should my first telescope cost?” “How do Dobsonians and Newtonians differ, as well as reflectors and refractors?”
These are just a few of the questions we frequently receive from readers who are interested in learning more about practical astronomy.
They are absolutely worth considering if you want to spend as little money as possible while still getting wonderful views of the night sky.
Dormant telescopes can be found tucked away in the corners of many garages and spare rooms: telescopes built to gather views of moons, stars, and planets, but now collecting dust.
Perhaps some were too heavy to carry in and out at night, others were too difficult to put up, or perhaps the sights were disappointing.
When considering the question, “What sort of telescope should I buy?” we can state right away that the best telescope is one that is both practical and comfortable to use on a regular basis and offers interesting views of the night sky.
Although there is a confusing number of equipment available, all of those variants may be divided into three fundamental groups.
Refractors were the first form of telescope invented, and most people are familiar with them.
Glass lenses at the end of a tube are used to focus a magnified image of the sky.
The second type we’ll look at is called a reflector since it uses mirrors instead of lenses to magnify the sky view. It was designed by Isaac Newton.
Mirrors with a hole in the middle are the ultimate form of telescope design. This style of telescope is known as a Cassegrain.
Now that we’ve created a basic division into categories, we can look at the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Refractors, the most common form of telescope, have a number of enticing features.
They are often lightweight, simple to set up and use, provide crisp views, and require little upkeep.
Variable magnifications and a wider range of viewable objects are provided by interchangeable eyepieces.
Because of its portability, it is possible to take journeys to see darker skies away from light pollution.
In the world of telescopes, however, there is a saying that ‘aperture is king.’ Or, to put it another way, bigger is better.
In visual astronomy, larger telescopes produce more stunning sights.
Refractors have limitations in this regard. Large lenses are prohibitively expensive and difficult to manage for amateur photographers.
As a result, the majority of amateur refracting telescopes today have apertures ranging from 60 to 150mm.
We have telescopes with multiple lenses that provide a crisper, more natural view at a premium price point, ranging from inexpensive versions with a single front lens to telescopes with multiple lenses that provide a better, more natural view at a premium pricing point.
The quality of the optics of the telescope, which is mostly defined by their cost, will have a considerable impact on the quality of the views, and the cheap refractors that are popular in electronics and photography stores are frequently disappointing.
Smaller refractors with a diameter of less than 90mm are suitable for viewing the night sky, which may include star clusters such as the renowned Pleiades, M45.
Although some detail and moons can be seen when looking towards Jupiter and Saturn, the planet itself will appear small and bright in the perspective in both cases.
Under clear skies, some brighter galaxies and nebulae may be visible, and with practise, it gets easier to spot the interesting objects.
Larger refractors, such as those with a diameter of 100mm or more, can really open up the skies, and under sufficiently black skies, hundreds of deep-sky objects, such as galaxies, globular clusters of stars, and brilliant nebulae, can be seen.
On a clear night, surface colours and details can be seen on Saturn, Jupiter, and even Mars.
The larger optics allow the telescope to display more detail in craters and rille features, so lunar images should be sharp with strong clarity in craters and rille features.
There’s no doubt that a good refractor mounted on a strong mount or tripod can deliver a fantastic astronomy experience that will keep you coming back for more for years.
Reflecting telescopes have an open tube in the front and a round mirror called the primary mirror inside the tube’s bottom.
Light enters the tube and is reflected back within the tube onto a much smaller angled secondary mirror before exiting through the side of the telescope towards the top end, where the replaceable eyepiece is located.
This design allows for far bigger apertures than refractors, and amateur reflectors are available in sizes up to 500mm in diameter.
Reflectors can be used in two ways. Smaller variants, up to around 12 inches in diameter, can be mounted on tripod-style mounts similar to refractors.
However, mounting the telescope tube on a revolving base that stands on the floor is a common alternative.
This can be flexibly rotated, and the telescope may swivel up and down, allowing it to be pointed at any point in the sky.
Dobsonians are telescopes that are mounted in this manner and provide the most cost-effective and gratifying views of the deep sky when compared penny for penny.
In fact, the views provided by a relatively inexpensive reflector can be comparable to those provided by expensive refractors.
Dobsonians can be stunningly simple – no wires, no batteries, just point it at what you want to see – or they can have a full ‘Go-To’ control that can position the telescope at hundreds of sky objects automatically.
There are trade-offs, as reflectors’ mirrors need to be adjusted from time to time, but this shouldn’t deter you.
They can, however, be big, heavy devices that are difficult to transfer outside and back in, or to transport to darker locations, and they can take up a lot of space when not in use.
Although collapsible into manageable components, the larger Dobsonian versions may necessitate the use of a stepladder when viewing objects far overhead!
Cassegrain telescopes work similarly to refractors in that you point the front end of the telescope at the sky and view through a replaceable eyepiece on the rear.
They are relatively heavy but tend to be shorter lengthwise, making them perfect for storage where room is restricted.
These telescopes may require minor adjustments from time to time to ensure that the mirrors are correctly aligned.
A Maksutov-Cassegrain or a Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope may well be the finest option for individuals hoping to experience the best views of the planets and our Moon for a particular size of eyepiece.
Details can be observed inside Jupiter’s coloured bands and numerous colour bands on Saturn, as well as the Cassini and other divisions of Saturn’s beautiful ring system, as well as polar caps and features on Mars, when the sky conditions permit.
Other deep-sky objects can, of course, be observed, with Schmidt-Cassegrains with bigger apertures giving the most gratifying experience.
Although the views are not as sharp as those from refractors, they are a popular choice for people looking for a good medium between a large enough aperture and a manageable size.
Because larger telescopes provide higher magnifications, the item being studied will move out of view more quickly, hence they are sometimes equipped with electronic tracking mounts to track the targets as they move.
Decide where and how you’ll use your telescope, whether it’ll be at home or at dark-sky locations, to get the best telescope for you.
All three designs are available in simple or fully computerised versions, with built-in wi-fi enabling smartphone operation.
You might like a simple grab-and-go setup, or you might prefer more elaborate equipment with completely autonomous operation to display more beauties of the night sky.
Whatever telescope you choose, refractor, reflector, or Cassegrain, you should buy it from a specialist astronomy dealer who knows everything there is to know about the telescopes they sell and can answer all of your questions.
- 360mm focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optical glass with high transmission coatings creates crisp images with increased brightness and clarity
- Includes two 1.25" eyepieces (K25mm & K10mm) which you can enjoy the magnification from 16X to 40X, And 5X24 Finder Scope can locate objects faster
- No-tools quick set up and easy find your objects, perfect telescope gift for kids and astronomy beginners
- 70mm telescope excels at daytime birding use as well as viewing wildlife, scenery and casual nighttime observing of the Moon
- ECOOPRO offers lifetime VIP customer service, please let us know if you have any questions with the telescope or our service
- EUROPEAN COMPANY WITH 96% SATISFIED CUSTOMER RATING – YOU GET A 2-YEAR WARRANTY - Get a 2-year warranty with your Slokey Astronomical Telescope that ensures you exceptional quality and durability giving you years of enjoyment… Tested by thousands of satisfied customers, YOU are guaranteed to love them… BUY TODAY WITHOUT RISK AND SAVE!
- BEST SELLER PROFESSIONAL TELESCOPE ON AMAZON - IDEAL FOR ADULT BEGINNERS AND AMATEURS - Trust the #1 brand of telescopes and binoculars... Perfect for astronomical observation of Planets, Galaxies and Nebulae... as well as for earth observation... SUPER POWERFUL for observing every detail of the deep sky with a rugged and stable tripod for steady, adjustable viewing so you can sit while using your telescope... GET THE #1 ADULT TELESCOPE NOW! Translated with
- EXCEPTIONAL OPTICAL QUALITY - #1 IN QUALITY FOR MONEY - You will get incredible clarity and luminosity with sharp and brilliant images thanks to its excellent optics... You will also get a SUPER powerful telescope lens with a professional design, robust, stable and easy to mount... so you can have a clear vision of the Moon, Planets and Galaxies... Easy to use even for beginners... It will be the perfect gift for any adult beginner or amateur...
- GET UP TO 250X MAGNIFICATION WITH SUPERIOR OPTICAL PERFORMANCE EYEPIECES - You will get 3 eyepieces of 25 mm, 10 mm and 6 mm that will provide incredible views of celestial objects during the night and terrestrial objects during the day... You will also get a 3x Barlow lens that will give you 3 times more magnification... Offering adjustable power of 20x, 50x, 83x, 150x and 250x to adapt to any situation... Get it Today... Take advantage of this offer
- ROBUST AND STABLE TO OBSERVE THE DEEP SKY... You will get Clear and Detailed Images of Saturn's Rings, Jupiter's Moons, Andromeda's Galaxy, Orion's Nebula, the Pleiades and much more... You will get a professional tripod made of stainless steel, robust and portable, super easy to set up and use even for a beginner... Get your IDEAL telescope today... 9 out of 10 people who have tried it would recommend it.
- High quality 127 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain. Fully computerized Altazimuth mount, and StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects.
- Quick-release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for quick no tool set up.
- Sturdy stainless steel tripod and accessory tray included. Good for terrestrial and celestial observing.
- BONUS Astronomy Software download with a 10,000 object database, printable sky maps and 75 enhanced images.
- 【Quality Optics】The astronomical telescope features 400mm (f/5.7) focal length and large 70mm aperture, fully multi-coated optical glass with high transmission, creating stunning images with increased brightness and clarity.
- 【Variable Magnification】The refractor telescope includes two 1.25" telescope eyepieces (K20mm and K9mm) for 20X and 44X magnification. The 5x24 finder scope makes locating objects easily. And diagonal prism ensures you get erect image, ideal for both celestial and terrestrial viewing.
- 【Portable for Travel】This travel scope is quick and easy to set up. Comes with a phone adapter with 10mm eyepiece for you to capture the amazing images and share with your family. The lightweight telescope with adjustable tripod can be packed up in the custom backpack. Grab it and go anywhere!
- 【Satisfaction Warranty】 Reliable and friendly customer service in 24 hours. We offer lifetime warranty. Please feel free to contact us if any problem with the quality of the telescope, and we will make an instant refund or replacement for you to make sure you are satisfied.
- 【Great Gift Ideas】The telescope is a perfect Christmas or birthday gift for kids or beginner astronomers. It helps them build interest in astronomy and science, exploring the unknown, enjoy the nature and away from screen. The kids' astronomical journey starts from here!
- Celestron’s iconic “orange tube” design is updated with all the latest features to provide the best stargazing experience for beginners and experienced observers alike.
- 4-inch aperture provides excellent light-gathering ability at an affordable price. You’ll get impressive views of the Moon and planets, along with deep sky objects like the Orion Nebula, while retaining a compact form factor.
- Fully automated GoTo mount with database of 40,000+ celestial objects automatically locate and tracks objects for you. SkyAlign technology gets your telescope aligned and ready to observe in minutes. Even if you’re unfamiliar with the night sky, you can easily align your telescope on any three bright objects.
- Unique single fork arm design and sturdy steel tripod all break down into separate components for easy transport and quick assembly. Optical Tube: Aluminum
- German (Publication Language)
- 80mm Fully Multi-Coated objective prism and latest generation of two 1.25" interchangeable Kellners eyepiece, K9mm(44X), K25mm(16X), finest available lead free glass and multiple layers of anti-reflective coatings ensures that the image you view will be as bright and sharp as possible, delivering 99.5% total light transmission. You will get a crisp, bright and no color difference image even in a low light environment. 3X Barlow lens increase the magnification three times.
- Usually another telescope offers an inverted picture. Our telescope for adults with 128°erect-image diagonal achieve erect images, offering you better observation than inverted image. Telescope for astronomy with 5X20 erect-image finder scope achieve erect images which can help you to find target faster and easier. Perfect telescopes for astronomy ideal for casual nighttime observing of the Moon and bright planets for entry-level amateur astronomers and beginners kids.
- Aluminum tripod can be adjusted from about 53cm to 120cm. Locks in solidly, stays right in place for steady images. Erect diagonal with 360°rotation capability can provide a comprehensive view. Rotating diagonal towards down helps look up to enjoy comfortably for short astronomers or kids full of curiosity. You can put eyepiece, Barlow lens on the tray when you are not using it. Refractor telescope body with a compass help you to find planet easily.
- Telescope astronomy with 10X smartphone adapter which can help you to share pictures to social media. The phone adapter can be quicker and easier installation than traditional phone adapter. It can record beauty, acquire knowledge in the astronomy and cultivate students' love of natural science. Constellation Diagram help you to find constellation easily. Metal moon Filter can protect your eyes from glare.
- Easy to assemble and carry: This astronomy telescope adult is pre-assembled and can be assembled without tools. And telescope can be adjustable by 180 °in the vertical direction and 360 °in the horizontal direction for different viewing positions. Ideal gift for children beginners and amateur astronomers for birthday.
- Telescope for Kids and Adults - This telescope provides erect image optics, for terrestrial and astronomical use. The fully multi-coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings creates stunning images and protect your eyes.
- Optical Quality - 70mm Aperture and 700mm Focal Length telescope has 10mm and 20mm Plossl eyepieces, the magnification is 70X and 35X. Plossl eyepiece have better optical performance than K and H eyepieces. Effectively reduce chromatic aberration and halo.
- Equatorial Mount Type - The mount comes with two slow motion control cables that allow you make fine pointing adjustments to the telescope in both R.A. and Declination.
- Quick and Easy No-Tool Setup - We provide professional astronomical telescopes. In order to save your time, our telescope can be installed without any additional tools, and truly realize no-tool-set telescope.
- Phone Adapter and Tripod - Full size stainless steel adjustable tripod meet any height and angle, it brings you stable, safe and durable. Smartphone adapter with 10mm eyepiece which provide 70x magnification, capture and share the images and videos.
- Fully coated design: telescope beginners with fully coated glass optical elements.It can reduce light reflection and increase light transmission,400mm focal length, 40mm aperture. 12.5mm and 20mm eyepiece provide 20-32X magnification, 90 degree zenith mirror.
- 5x18 finder scope and compass : Because the telescope astronomy has a narrow field of view, finding a particular star or planet can be difficult. Therefore, a 5x magnification search range and compass is very useful for locating a particular star or planet.
- Easy to assemble: This telescopes for astronomy adult comes pre-assembled and can be put together without any tools. It can be adjusted 160° in the vertical direction and 360° in the horizontal direction.It is a right choice for children's and astronomy beginners to increase their interest in space and stars. It help them to promote the creativity while having a fun time.
- Telescope/Tripod: Aomekie travel telescopes with a lightweight aluminum tripod. You can watch the moon or the stars are stable and easy to carry. That's why you can accompany your child well and help your little astronomers inspire interest in exploring the universe.
- A perfect gift: the kids telescope is made with safety and high-quality material. It has no sharp things and no toxic or hazardous substances. It's completely safe for your child to use. It's one of the best science toys for children and one of the most educational and fun gifts for Birthdays, Christmas, New Years and more.
- 【High Magnification】360mm(f/5.1) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optical glass with high transmission coatings creates stunning images with increased brightness and clarity. Protect your eyes.Perfect Refracting telescope for beginners or kids to explore sky
- 【No-tool Set Up】This telescope is quick and easy to set up even for the novice and will encourage to love learning about space, great holiday or birthday gift idea for your son who love science and astronomy
- 【High Quality Optics】Includes two 1.25" eyepieces (K25mm & K10mm) which you can enjoy the magnification from 14.4 and 36x, And 5X24 Finder Scope can locate objects faster
- 【Adjustable Tripod 】This telescope allows for many different viewing positions with a adjustable aluminum tripod, the telescope and tripod can fit inside the bag for easy traveling and on-the-go stargazing
- 【Multifunction Travel Telescope】70mm telescope excels at daytime birding use as well as viewing wildlife, scenery and casual nighttime observing of the Moon
- Astronomical Telescope can set 60X, 18X, the mirror group plus 1.5X, 90X, 27X. A small refracting type telescope with a larger diameter (50mm), accounting for little place.
- High Quality: Coated all-glass optics for enhanced image brightness and clarity.Refractive astronomical telescope with 50mm aperture and 360mm focal length, 90x maximum power.
- Equipped with two different magnification eyepieces and 1.5X multiplier mirrors, so that you can freely mix, observe different distances and sizes objects.
- Easy Use: Small and lightweight telescope due to durable aluminum construction, easily for hand held use,Quick and easy to assemble, NO extra tools required.
- High Powered Telescope: suitable for entry-level amateur astronomers and children to explore land and sky.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine reviews from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!