Looking to buy the best Cross Trainer? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
What type of cross trainer am I looking for?
There are two types of cross trainers: rear drive and front drive, which relates to the location of the flywheel on the machine.
A machine with rear drive is more stable and allows for a longer stride length that feels more like running.
Front-drive machines, on the other hand, can make users feel like they’re climbing stairs as they lean forward.
Front-drive machines have the advantage of being more compact. If you have a tiny home, this makes them appealing, albeit there are folding rear-drive machines on the market that can be packed away after usage.
Regardless of whether you choose a front-drive or rear-drive model, the most important features of any cross trainer are stability and comfort — if you’re tall, avoid machines with short stride lengths. You’ll come to regret it.
What to Look for When Buying a Cross Trainer
Length of stride
This is a crucial characteristic to think about.
This is because people who are just beginning out and looking for a lower-intensity workout will benefit from a shorter stride length.
If you want a more strenuous workout, though, a longer stride length is required.
If you’re looking for a more challenging workout, a stride length of 16″-21″ is ideal. Even if you are a complete beginner, this allows you to gradually increase the difficulty as you gain experience.
A belt is frequently employed for resistance at the lower end of the spectrum. Because they are often of inferior quality, they may not be as durable or able to withstand the test of time.
Mid-range to high-end models, on the other hand, frequently include a flywheel with a wider range of resistance. Furthermore, they are significantly more likely to withstand repeated use for many years.
A must-have feature is adjustable resistance. This is due to the fact that having control over your workout allows you to work at a pace that is comfortable for you. Alternatively, it allows you to set goals for yourself so that you can improve your fitness over time.
Multiple levels of resistance are available on the best machines. They can be controlled via a classic dial or a computerised onboard console.
On-board consoles are expected to be available only on higher-end models. They can also be available on less expensive models, albeit with limited capability.
Electromagnetic resistance is frequently used to control resistance in high-end models. However, this can differ depending on the model.
This is the most effective and efficient method of resistance in most cases. Motor-based resistance systems, on the other hand, let you control the resistance from the onboard console. When compared to a typical mechanical control knob, this is a useful feature.
Smoothness of Stepping
It’s critical to pay attention to the stride of the cross trainer if you want to make your workout as comfortable as possible.
A workout that is unsteady or jerky will almost certainly be unpleasant. As a result, it’s a good idea to make sure the drive train is of good quality and that the flywheel is heavy enough.
If you’re looking for a flywheel-based unit, you should opt for one with a flywheel that weighs at least 5kg.
This is to ensure that everything operates smoothly.
Nowadays, most cross trainers have what’s known as an onboard console. This is a compact computer gadget that resembles a cycle computer that can be attached to a bicycle.
While budget models normally have fewer capabilities, they usually include information that allows you to track your workouts.
This includes the ability to track the duration of your workout, as well as your pace, distance, and even the number of calories burned.
Some models even have a heart-rate monitoring feature. The heart-rate sensors are typically located beneath the onboard console or on the handles that you hold when exercising.
Certain types can even be linked to external heart rate monitors. However, you’ll almost always have to buy one individually.
Built-in fitness programmes are also available on some on-board consoles. This is a departure from the normal resistance levels found on more affordable choices. This will help you add diversity to your routines while also allowing you to track your progress.
Stability and Maximum User Weight
The maximum user weight on a good grade trainer is usually approximately 130kg (20 stone).
If the maximum user weight is around this value or above, the machine’s construction quality is likely to be satisfactory.
Stability is also an important factor to consider.
The last thing you want to happen while using the machine is for it to tip up. As a result, effective stabilisers are required to prevent this.
When deciding on the ideal model for you, having simple access to your sports equipment while training is unquestionably a plus.
While amenities such as a drink holder and a tablet/phone holder are not required, they can be extremely useful when exercising.
You’ll need somewhere to put your phone or tablet so you can view movies and listen to music while working out.
Additionally, having quick access to a drink can help you keep hydrated throughout your workout.
Maintenance on a regular basis
Cleaning, lubricating, tightening loose screws, and replacing batteries are all part of basic cross trainer maintenance. Our comprehensive guide includes maintenance and troubleshooting procedures that everyone should follow on a regular basis, as well as a number of valuable links.
- 【8 LEVEL MAGNETIC RESISTANCE, HYPER-QUIET & ULTRA SMOOTH MAGNETIC DRIVE SYSTEM】 Our Dripex cross trainer equipped with 8 levels of magnetic resistance, you can easily adjust the intensity of your workout with the twist of the tension knob. The magnetic magnetic drive system ensures your hyper-quiet and ultra smooth riding experience, also eliminates noise and control the sound at 20db even after millions of times workout. No worry for disturbing others. Virtually no maintenance.
- 【LCD DIGITAL MONITOR & IPAD HOLDER】The cross trainer is equipped with a sensitive LCD digital monitor, it will real-timely track and scan your exercise data including the time, speed, distance, calories, pulse and odometer. All data is dual-calibrated by serious algorithms, which will make you clearly know your exercise progress and adjust your training plan in time to achieve your exercise goal. The iPad holder allows you to watch videos or enjoy music at the same time.
- 【DUAL HANDLEBARS DESIGN & HEART RATE SENSORS】The Dripex elliptical machine with dual-handle design which can coordinate muscles in all parts of your body and helps shape your body. The inner handle in built with a heart rate sensor inside to display your heart rate data in real time. The dual handlebars have a soft, anti-slip and sweat-resistant surface to ensure you can focus on your fitness and provides a no impact, smooth flowing workout.
- 【HEAVY-DUTY & ERGONOMIC DESIGN】This professional elliptical cross trainer built with 13.2lbs strong flywheel and made of high quality heavy duty steel pipe. The solid construction contributes outstanding stability and loading capacity up to 265 lbs. The convenient bottle cage attached allows you stay hydrated after working up a sweat. The large textured pedals increase the friction of your shoes to keep you safe. Fits for the height of 4'9"-6'2”, all family members can join in the exercise.
- 【EASY TO MOVE & STORE】Convenient transport wheels on Forefoot tube allow you to easily move the elliptical machine around without lifting it or store it away out of sight. 【WHAT YOU GET】 Not only high-quality elliptical machine, but also 100% satisfied customer service. We have INSTALLATION VIDEO can help you complete assembly faster. We also offer 12 months parts WARRANTY and your concerns are answered within 24 hours, please feel free to contact us.
- 【Neezee Professional Cross Trainer with Pulse Sensors】2 in 1 perfect combination - cross trainer and exercise bike, adjustable resistance can meet high/low-intensity exercise, enjoy your home gym.
- 【Front mounted flywheel greatly enhances stability】Heavy duty frame made of high quality steel with large soft seat. Front-mounted flywheel increases stability, two-way forward and backward elliptical workout, simulates natural walking movements to protect the knee, Max user weight 120KG.
- 【Safe Ergonomic Design】CE certified ergonomic design and strict quality inspection, double handle soft sweat-proof surface, large size non-slip pedal, smooth foot feel without hurting joints, increase the stability, safety and comfort of use.
- 【LCD Monitor and Heart Rate Sensor】The cross trainer is equipped with a sensitive LCD monitor and heart rate sensor that can track and scan your exercise data, including pulse, time, speed, distance and calories. Workout in the comfort of your home.
- 【Space Saving & Reliable Service】Front wheel - convenient to move and save space. Neezee offers a 1-YEAR parts replacement service. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, our customer support will solve your problem in time.
- The GX40’s 7 kg flywheel weight ensures a challenging, smooth and quiet elliptical motion to give you a comfortable, fluid workout experience - ideal for those seeking a low impact form of exercise
- You can tailor the intensity of your workout, while you exercise, by adjusting the resistance dial located above the water bottle holder: There are eight levels of manual resistance for you to choose from
- To help keep you motivated, there are four fitness programs built into the console which includes target time, target distance, target calories and recovery workouts
- The large backlit LCD screen provides the feedback you need to help improve your fitness level by tracking and displaying your progress; including speed, distance, time, calories, pulse and RPM
- The cushioned footplates can be easily adjusted to suit your stride length while the dual-action and fixed handlebars have a soft, sweat-resistant surface so you can focus on your fitness
- INTEGRATED SMARTPHONE KINOMAP APP: The Curv Elliptical range is compatible with the Kinomap fitness app - featuring thousands of training videos from around the world, coaching & training classes & structured workouts. Join the Kinomap community today!
- WHISPER QUIET FLUID MOTION: The heavy duty 12kg flywheel & silent drive system benefits from a safe magnetic braking facility that allows you to come to a halt with total ease.
- IN-BUILT TRAINING PROGRAMS: The cross-trainer computer is pre-loaded with 12 x automatic programs to choose from + 24 x manual levels of resistance. Stroll at pace, or step things up a notch & simulate cross-country sprints.
- LOW IMPACT, HIGH-INTENSITY: The Curv Elliptical Cross Trainer is a fantastic alternative to a traditional exercise bike & offers a low impact cardio exercise that is kind on your joints & full of great health benefits.
- LCD DISPLAY: Measure time, distance, calories burned & pulse rate on the backlit multifunctional LCD display. Push yourself even more & work towards targets to achieve your fitness goals.
- Flywheel: 9kg (19.8lbs) for Fluid Motion; 32 Levels of Computer Controlled Magnetic Resistance;
- Stride Length: 38cm (15”); 4 User Profiles; 20 Programmes to Help you Reach Goals Faster;
- Large, Comfortable Footplates; Dual Colour Backlit LCD Display; 4 User Profiles For Better Accuracy
- Metric & Imperial Switch MPH/KPH; Wirelss Heart Rate Receiver (chest strap sold separately); Transportation Wheels: Yes
- Dimensions LWH:132 x 55 x170cm; Warranty 2 years parts & labour; Max User Weight120kg (18.9 stone)
- [8 Resistance Levels]Mimicking the natural path of the ankle, joints and knees, enjoy a low-impact workout of varying intensities with the 8 level tension knob adjuster and access pre-set resistance levels for a personalized exercise experience while training your upper and lower body.
- [Digital Display & Heart rate handle]Utilize the LCD console to track and record your workout stats in real time, including: distance, heart rate, calories burned, time, and speed to keep you motivated all the way to the end of your workout. Built-in metal hand grip sensors analyze your pulse to accurately monitor your heart rate so you can keep tabs on your progress as you exercise.
- [Built for Workout Efficiency]Designed with extra wide footboards, users can exercise as intensely as needed without worry of slipping or accidental injury, while the gripped surface provides additional safety and slip prevention. Enjoy an effective workout with a 39cm stride length that accommodates a wide range of user heights while also being able to transport your elliptical from room to room with ease using the base smooth glide wheels.
- [Noiseless & Premium Design]Engineered with a smooth magnetic resistance system so you can focus on training effectively without any distracting noise. Manufactured with commercial grade steel, the sturdy frame supports up to 330lbs and is fitted with heavy duty accessories that advance your workout. The heavy weight 5KG flywheel increases overall stability for stable and consistent resistance momentum while pedaling.
- [Easy Set Up]This product comes with a one-year warranty. Easily assemble your machine with a clear instruction manual included. Our friendly customer service will be happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have.
- 【2 in 1 Cross Trainer】 Neezee focuses on the development and design of large-scale fitness equipment,cooperates with a number of gyms, and has refined the design and function after the inspection of 100 engineers and 2,000 fitness experts. Thereby producing premium and professional 2-in-1 elliptical machine.
- 【LCD Digital Monitor & Pulse Sensors】The Elliptical Cross Trainer is equipped with a sensitive LCD monitor and heart rate sensor to track your body data in real-time, such as pulse, time, speed, distance and calories. You can create your exercise routine based on your workout progress to get more motivation and better workouts.
- 【Adjustable Resistance】 This 2-in-1 cross trainer and exercise bike with an adjustment knob, easily adjust the resistance to high and low resistance settings for a low-impact, high-cardio full-body workout. Front-mounted flywheel increases stability, two-way forward and backward elliptical workout, simulates natural walking movements to protect the knee.
- 【CE Certified & Ergonomic Design】 Our cross trainer is made of heavy-duty steel frame, maximum user weight of 265LBS. The anti-skid foam handle and comfortable seat are adjustable depending on your needs, suitable for all sizes of users and long-term fitness people. It's equipped with oversized foot pedals provide extra stability while exercising.
- 【Durable & Space Saving】 Neezee elliptical machine equipped with adjustable footpads so it can be used on your floor or carpets, maximum stability when you are using cross trainer. You can easily move it with the transport wheels and store it in the corner of your living room or garage when you are not in use.
- XS Sports Pro Fitness Elliptical Cross Trainer with Pulse Sensors - 2 in 1 - Can Be Used As A Cross Trainer or Exercise Bike
- Front Mounted Flywheel for Added Stability - Adjustable Resistance for High & Low Intensity Workouts - Multi Function LCD Display: Pulse, Time, Speed, Distance, Calorie & Scan Mode
- Can Be Used to Workout Legs, Hips, Buttocks, Arms & Shoulders - Simulates Natural Walking Movements - Dual Direction Forward & Backward Elliptical Workout - Front Mounted Flywheel for Added Stability
- Steel Frame - Extra Wide Platform Pedals - Large Comfortable Seat - Front Wheels - Easy to Move Around the House - Max User Weight: 110kg - Max Foot Size: 12 (UK Size) - Size of Machine Foot Print Approx 91cm x 51cm - Some Assembly Required - Includes Full English Instruction Manual
- Moving Stride Bars for Upper Body Workouts - Fixed Bars with Pulse Sensors to Monitor Heart Rate During Workout - Total Body Low-Impact Cardiovascular Workout in the Comfort of Your Own Home
- STRONG; Our CT700 elliptical machine features chip resistant paint and a sturdy design that is CE certified; This cross trainer exercise equipment is suitable for people up to 110 kilograms and unlike inferior fitness equipment, is built to last a lifetime
- SAFE; Each XS Sports upright elliptical has undergone stringent quality inspection; Our home gym equipment meets rigorous European standards; The XS Sports promise is this; if we wouldn’t use the workout machine ourselves, we won’t sell it
- ADVANCED; Our cross trainer is the perfect combo elliptical trainer for all levels; Our pedal exerciser features 5.5kg magnetic flywheel, with bidirectional movement for hamstring and quad workouts, precise LCD displays and sensors to measure speed, distance, pulse, odo, calories and duration, also a built in tablet/phone holder
- PROFESSIONAL; All our cardio machines have been developed in consultation with home exercise equipment industry professionals; We pride ourselves on outstanding quality cardio equipment that has been refined by hundreds of hours of cutting edge research
- 【Heavy-Duty Construction】Neezee Pro Cross Trainer Exercise Bike is made of extra-thicken commercial steel tube, the Heavy Duty base contributes outstanding stability and loading capacity up to 265lb. It is an advisable option for home workout use or fitness gym equipment.
- 【Better Protection for Knees】Buy Neezee Elliptical Machine get 1 Knee Pads. The sponge with good resilience can effectively relieve the impact on the knee during exercise, reduce the collision and friction damage to the knee and provides better protection for the knee.
- 【Hyper-Quiet Magnetic Drive System】Equipped with the latest technology magnetic system that eliminates noise and control the sound around 20DB. No more worrying about disturbing others during your workout. Fit for 4'9" to 6'2" Exerciser, the low impact workout reduces the risk of joint injury and provides an effective workout for arms and shoulders, hip and leg training.
- 【10LB Flywheel with 8 Resistance Levels】Built in precision balanced 10LB flywheel for a more natural ride. Challenge yourself with the 1-8 levels of magnetic resistance when you power on this elliptical machine. A 30-minute elliptical workout can burn over 400 calories, and elliptical training is safe for older people or anyone with joint problems.
- 【LCD Monitor & Hear Rate Sensors】Real-time tracking - multi-function LCD display shows exercise speed, heart rate, time, distance and calories. Track your fitness and stay in your target zone.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Some of the Advantages of Cross Trainers?
You’ll be able to not only burn a lot of calories, but you’ll also be able to engage your complete body while doing a low-impact activity.
As a result, your joints will be protected, giving it an advantage over other workout devices such as the treadmill.
Furthermore, you will be able to quickly change the intensity of your workout. You can achieve this by adjusting your machine’s resistance.
This makes them ideal for people of all skill levels, whether they’re complete beginners or more experienced users.
How Many Calories Can You Burn During a Cross Trainer Workout?
Whether you’re doing a high-intensity interval training session or a steady-state cardio regimen, you’ll be able to burn a lot of calories because you’ll be using your entire body.
Because of the moving handles, your upper body muscles will be used.
However, keeping the intensity at a medium-high level can help you burn more calories.
In terms of calories burned, a 30-minute workout can burn up to 240 calories.
This, however, is dependent on the workout’s intensity.
Which Muscles Are Used in a Cross Trainer Workout?
As previously said, the cross trainer gives an excellent exercise that engages muscles throughout the entire body.
It will also work your hamstrings, quadriceps, and glutes in the lower body.
This will efficiently tone these areas, and it will complement lower bodyweight training activities like squats and leg presses wonderfully.
In addition, it strengthens the upper body. The chest, back, biceps, and triceps are all included.
If you hold on to the moving handles, you will be utilising pushing and pulling movements in these muscle groups with each revolution.
Overall, the elliptical is an excellent alternative if you want to improve your fitness levels and want a strong cardio workout to go along with your weight training.
What is Better, a Cross Trainer or a Treadmill?
A home multi gym may be a better option if muscle building is your top objective. Take a look at our guide to the finest multi-gym at home.
A Cross Trainer or a Treadmill: Which Is Better?
Both of these strategies are extremely popular for getting a cardio exercise.
The cross trainer, on the other hand, has the advantage in terms of overall calorie burning potential.
This is because it exercises muscles in both the lower and upper body, making it an excellent technique to raise your heart rate and aid in weight loss.
I’ve listed a few cross trainer workouts for weight loss if burning fat is one of your goals. The duration of these workouts is listed first.
The low-impact movement is an extra plus. When opposed to, say, running on a treadmill, this means less stress on your joints.
I’m not sure how much I’ll need to spend.
There are great cross trainers available for under £200 if you’re on a tight budget, but you’ll definitely compromise some stability and functionality at that price. There are some good home models available for between £500 and £1000, but if you want a gym-like experience, you’ll need to pay well over £1,000.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!