The best high chairs for babies and toddlers
Looking to buy the best high chair for your baby or toddler? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the right one for you.
How do you pick the best high chair for your child?
Is your child ready to be weaned?
Most babies are ready to explore solid meals around the age of four months, but the NHS rules on what they may and cannot consume at this age are a little limiting.
However, by six months, practically all solid foods are available.
The capacity to sit upright with their head held firmly and without support, chewing and swallowing motions without the tongue-thrust reflex pushing objects out of the mouth, and interest about what you’re eating are all signs that your baby is ready for solid food.
You’ll probably want to obtain a high chair before your baby shows these signals so you’ll be ready to proceed with the puréed fruit right away.
Many high chairs are designed for kids who are able to sit up on their own, although a few can be used as reclining seats for younger babies until they are ready to be weaned.
What are the different types of high chairs?
A high chair might be one of three types:
The most common type of high chair is the solitary high chair.
Most versions are height-adjustable and include a removable tray, allowing you to use the high chair standalone in your kitchen or nestled against the family dining table (with the tray removed).
If you’re taking your baby to a café or a friend’s house, the table-clamped chair is a good portable option.
These foldable fabric chairs clamp to the table and fold up into a little bag for travelling in the trunk or buggy’s bottom.
A booster seat that attaches to your dining chair is called a chair-mounted booster seat.
Check the model’s characteristics to ensure it will fit your chairs.
These are ideal for older babies who can sit on their own but need assistance getting to the table.
For how long will I require a high chair?
You’ll be using your high chair three to five times a day for around 18 months, depending on your child’s height and comfort with sitting, so choose one that will comfortably fit your baby for this time and endure the distance.
This is why it is worthwhile to invest a bit more.
Most high chairs suit children up to the age of three, but it’s more probable that your child will be sitting in a regular dining chair before that — most children will use a high chair between the ages of six months and two years.
What are the most important characteristics to look for?
The best high chairs offer a way to keep your kid from slipping out the bottom, as well as easy-to-clean surfaces.
Many high chairs come with a safety harness similar to those seen in strollers, while others include built-in waist and leg straps to keep baby secure.
A removable tray allows you to feed your baby in any part of the house (we recommend starting with the simplest to clean room), and it also serves as a play surface for toys and painting.
Adjustable seats allow you to sit at a comfortable height while helping your baby feed.
What else do I require?
Now that you’ve decided on a high chair, what’s next?
There are a few things you’ll need regardless of whether you’re feeding your kid pureés and jars or letting them lead the way with baby-led weaning.
Bowls, spoons, a cup, and bibs are among the items available.
It’s best to have two of each so that one can be cleansed while the other is in use.
A pair of plastic bowls, a plate with compartments, a pair of plastic spoons, a sippy cup, a pair of bibs with a catch tray (usually made of silicone), and a pair of wearable bibs for when you’re ready to let them get really messy are all good possibilities.
How much space do you have?
If you have a small kitchen – some might call it a bijou kitchen – you’ll need a high chair that either folds up neatly or has a small base space. Traditional high chairs might have such large feet that they can take up half of a small kitchen!
If you’re looking for a folding high chair, see if it sits up on its own when folded; if not, you’ll need to prop it against something (and may worry about it being pulled over once your child is on the move).
Some high chairs require you to remove the tray in order to fold it, which can add to your storage problems.
If you need to stow the highchair between meals due to space constraints, want to leave it with grandparents/childminders, or want to throw it in the back of the car for road trips, a foldable and small alternative will be excellent.
How easy is it to lift your baby in and out?
When it comes to getting your infant in and out of a high chair, there are several options. You can remove or shift the tray forward on some to allow you more room to slip your kid in. Others aren’t as adaptable. Chairs without trays usually provide the most space in which to fit your youngster. Best advice: if at all possible, take your baby with you when shopping for a high chair and practise getting her in and out. Also, if the chair becomes flat, practise removing or relocating the tray, loosening the straps, and folding up the chair.
Do you need it to be portable?
Look for a lightweight choice or one with caster wheels if you only want to transfer the highchair from room to room. If you want to take it with you when you visit family and friends, look for one that folds up little or can have the legs removed to fit in the car boot.
Do you want a quick-clean highchair?
Look for wipe-clean plastic, vinyl, and PVC covers if quick cleaning, or wiping up as you rush out the door, is a priority. Fabric covers will need to be removed and laundered, which will take a bit longer.
A dishwasher-safe removable tray or a tray with a top insert that can be removed to show a clean surface underneath are both useful features.
Remember that the more padding you have, the more nooks and crannies there will be for food to get stuck in. If your child is in nursery, this is OK; you’ll probably only have to clean thoroughly once a week. If your baby is messy or eats all of his or her meals at home, a smooth wipe-clean surface, whether plastic or wood, will provide an easy-to-clean choice.
Run your fingers around the edges of the cushions before purchasing a highchair with vinyl-covered cushioning to ensure there are no sharp edges that could harm your infant.
Do you want up-to-the-table feeding?
Some highchairs are stand-alone models with their own tray, allowing you to avoid bringing your child to the table. Others allow you to bring your kid up to the table with you so that he or she can participate in the meal. These can come with or without a removable tray, allowing your baby to sit directly on the table’s edge.
Look for highchairs with adjustable heights so you can tailor it to your table. A footrest will make your infant more comfortable and happy for longer by preventing his or her legs from dangling.
The best high chairs to buy
- ✅MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: YUMMY is a high chair designed for children who are able to sit up unaided (from approximately six months) to 15 kg (approximately three years). Because it folds down to a compact size, the high chair is easy to store at home. You can also take it with you on holidays
- ✅ADJUSTABLE: it features seven height positions, meaning you can tailor it to different-sized tables. The backrest can be adjusted to three positions (including the reclining position), and the adjustable footrest enables you to adapt the high chair to your child. The double tray has three adjustment options (distance from your little one), and it can be removed and attached to the rear legs
- ✅SAFE: the stroller is equipped with an adjustable five-point safety harness with pads that are easy to clean. It features a stable frame and meets standard EN 14988:2017 for high chairs
- ✅PRACTICAL: the high chair is easy to fold, and can be stored in an upright position. The eco-leather cover is removable and easy to clean – just wipe it with a damp cloth. It's also dirt resistant. The frame is made of sturdy metal. The legs feature rubber wheels that won't damage your floor when you're moving the chair around
- ✅ACCESSORIES: It also has a double adjustable tray that makes it easy for you to put your child in the seat
- High chair, suitable from birth up to 6 years
- Adjustable highchair: 6-in-1, for 6 different ways to sit (incl. 5 recline positions, 4 tray positions and 9 heights)
- Suitable from birth thanks to its super soft and supportive newborn inlay
- Easy to keep clean, thanks to water repellent cover that is machine washable
- Compact fold to easily store away
- HIGHCHAIR – Our baby highchair is perfect for keeping mealtimes comfortable
- SPACE SAVER – This highchair not only has a storage basket for your essentials but the chair can be folded compactly with the tray still attached
- FEATURES – This adjustable highchair has 6 height settings, 3 recline positions and 3 lockable positions for the removable tray
- SAFETY – The Snax highchair has a 5 point safety hardness to keep your little one safe and secure
- INFO - Dimensions: H:120cm x W:60cm x D:36cm Approx. Tray Height: 83cm Approx. Weight: 8kg Approx. Suitable from 6 months to 3 years
- PREMIUM HIGH CHAIR, ADJUSTABLE AND FOLDABLE - The Sweety Fox baby seat highchairs, which grows with baby into their toddler chair for years, is very easy to adjust with 5 positions for the reclining booster seat back, 3 positions for the footrest and 7 different booster seat dining chair heights: your baby can eat in total comfort in our baby eating chair 🙂 Use the baby highchair is a convertible high chair made to be used in many different ways
- SPACE-SAVING HIGHCHAIR THAT WIPES CLEAN - Our highchairs for babys are fitted with a removable, BPA-free plastic tray and a polyurethane high chair cover for quick and easy cleaning, and compact foldable high chair girl and boy can be folded away in a matter of seconds to save space when they are not in use: Make your life easier with our portable high chair seat and space saver travel high chair
- SAFETY, QUALITY AND FUN FOR BABY - All our high chair for baby boy are ASTM F404-certified with a BPA-free plastic tray , while their strong materials ensure that they are safe for babies and children up to 30 lb (15 kg) for feeding or a snack : they also come with a free high chair toy arch so your little one will never get bored, this perfect baby chair from birth is practical and fun for bebe
- CONVERT YOUR HIGHCHAIR SEAT FOR CHAIR FOR MEALS AT THE TABLE - Once baby is securely strapped into the child booster seat for dining chair with the harness, you can remove the baby chairs tray-table and position the baby high chair kitchen at the family table: help baby develop good eating habits. Our infant folding high chair is a toddler high chair for dining table
- SWEETY FOX 30-DAY GUARANTEE FOR OUR SAFE HIGH CHAIR BABY - As we are parents ourselves, we understand how important it is to choose the right adjustable babys baby portable high chair; that’s why we always reply within 24 hours to any questions you may have, and offer a 30-day “100% satisfaction or your money back” guarantee on all our boy highchair or baby girl toddler high chair for babies: We parents understand each other 🙂 your child is seated comfortably for eating 🙂
- RECLINING HIGHCHAIR: Polly Magic Relax is the ideal Chicco highchair from birth to 3 years, with a 4-position reclining backrest, comfortable leg rest, play bar and reducer cushion
- ELEVATED COMFORT: Equipped with extra comfort dual-phase reducer cushion: one side in breathable mesh for summer, the other side in soft warm fabric for winter
- PRACTICAL AND ADJUSTABLE: 8 levels of height adjustment and soft leatherette seat, easy to clean with a sponge; once closed, the high chair is compact and can be easily stored
- ENTERTAINMENT: The toy bar is equipped with hanging plush toys and can be used in all configurations, even with the tray; it can be reclined in 3 positions
- 6 WHEELS: The baby high chair can be moved without problems to place it next to the table or change its position both open and closed, thanks to the 4 comfortable wheels, 2 of which are swivel and lockable
- Suitable from 6 months to maximum weight of 15 kg
- Lightweight at only 5.4 kg
- Stands alone once folded - only 15 cm wide
- Removable, three position adjustable tray
- Two position footrest
- [🌻Safety First] Thickened steel tube and pyramid structure make the dining high chair more stable and sturdy, can bear weight up to 50 kg, 5 point safety seat belt gives your children safer protection
- [🌱Baby Friendly Material] Removable double dining tray is BPA-free, could be washed easily in the dishwasher, and direct contact with food, soft and easy to clean PU leather allows your baby to sit and lie comfortably
- [🌺Fold in Second] Push the folding button to store the dining chair when cleaning your room, one-click foldable design, save your time and space
- [🪐Adjustable Seat] Multi choices of seat and footrest height and angle, making it a seat your baby can use from 6 months to 6 years old, cultivate the good habit of eating independently, not only can be used for dining but also a perfect choice for taking a nap
- [🌈Suporior Service] Shipping from UK, arrives within 3 to 5 days, no need to wait for a long time, any questions please feel free to contact us, respond within 24 hours
- LUXURY HIGH CHAIR – with extra thick padding and soft vegan leather
- SUPERIOR DESIGN - adjustable to 7 height positions and 3 seat positions; the seat unit lies fully flat suitable from birth, designed to take your little one from birth to toddler
- SAFETY IN MIND – 5-point safety harness and restraint bar for extra protection; conforms with EN 14988: 2017 and EN 12790: 2009
- EASY TO USE - removable dish washer friendly tray; easy to fold and store
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED – comes ready to use
- The best of both worlds; this convertible chair can be used as a highchair or a lower junior kids feeding chair
- Six height positions, three reclining backrest positions and a 5-point harness for your child's safety and comfort
- Large double tray with easy to-clean removable insert and built in partitions to keep food and drinks in place
- Remove the tray so they can sit at the table. When not in use the tray can be stored on the back of the chair
- An easy-to-store freestanding design from a range of folding childrens highchairs
- The best of both worlds; this convertible chair can be used as a high chair or a low junior kids feeding seat
- Large easy-clean food tray with integrated cup holder, which can be stored on the back of seat when not in use
- Easy to assemble, and comes with an adjustable footrest and 5-point safety harness
- Portable, lightweight (3.5kg) and easy to disassemble, perfect for travel
- An easy-to-store alternative to larger folding childrens high chairs
Baby High Chair FAQs
When Do You Need a High Chair?
It’s appropriate to add a high chair to your kitchen set-up when Baby can sit up on his own and is eating solid food—usually around 6 months.
What to Look For: Functionality
Is it possible to get Baby into and out of the high chair without difficulty? If that’s the case, be sure it includes all of the other functions and features you’re looking for.
Is there a tray that you can use with with one hand?
Is it equipped with locking wheels that keep the chair stationary when in use? If you’ll be moving your high chair about a lot, search for versions with wheels. For example, if you’ll be pushing it to the table for meals and then back against a wall for storage.
Is there a lot of room for it? Some alternatives are foldable, making them ideal for usage on the go, such as at Grandma’s place.
Is it possible for it to develop alongside Baby? Today’s high chairs all have a transition option. This means the seat may be utilised as a comfortable cradle, an upright posture for first-time feeding, a toddler booster for self-feeding toddlers, and possibly more.
What to Look For: Safety Features
Safety is also key when choosing a high chair. Ask yourself the following questions before buying.
Does the high chair have seat straps that easily to buckle and unbuckle? The majority of high-chair accidents occur because parents don’t use the buckle feature. Using a three- or five-point harness keeps your little one safe.
What to Look For: Cleanliness
Because babies are notoriously messy eaters, you should think about how easy it will be to clean up the high chair after a meal.
The majority of chairs have a wipe-clean vinyl seat. Consider how the cushion and frame work together, and imagine an applesauce and crumbs scenario. It’s preferable to have fewer seams and fissures.
A tray-within-a-tray feature, where the top tray lifts out for washing in the sink or dishwasher, is a recent addition in high chairs. Some high chairs even come with a second tray, so you can use it while the first is being washed.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!