Looking to buy the best Vietnamese Coffee Maker? Check out our guide below and you’ll be well-placed to select the correct one for your needs.
Vietnamese Coffee: An Introduction
Vietnamese coffee has come to denote any coffee blended with sweetened condensed milk in Western language.
But there’s a lot more to this tasty beverage than what you put in it.
In fact, some Vietnamese coffees don’t even contain milk.
Those are known as ca phe da (if iced) or ca phe nong (if not) (if hot).
The brewing method and the beans are the two most important aspects of traditional Vietnamese coffee.
We’ll go over the brewing process in greater depth later.
However, the types of beans you use are as crucial in achieving the desired flavour.
Arabica beans are used in the majority of craft coffees.
The flavour of these beans is usually favoured.
However, that is not the only type of coffee eaten.
The Robusta bean, which is richer in caffeine but darker and more bitter in flavour, is the other commercial coffee crop.
About 80% of the world’s Robusta beans are cultivated in Vietnam, which has the ideal climate for growing them.
As a result, you can’t call something authentic Vietnamese coffee unless it contains some Robusta beans.
The Vietnamese developed the custom of adding sweetened condensed milk to their coffee due to the use of Robusta.
When Robusta is brewed, it becomes bitter and black.
This powerful flavour is mellowed by the sweet, creamy condensed milk.
What is a Café Phin, exactly?
Most western coffee drinkers refer to the
sort of mug-top brewer and filter known as a Vietnamese coffee maker as a “phin.”
It is made up of three distinct parts:
A perforated brewing chamber with a platform around the base designed to sit on top of a bug.
A spherical, perforated filter that sits on top of the ground coffee inside the brewing chamber.
To keep the heat in, a lid or cap should be placed on top.
Phin brewers are divided into two types based on how the filter tamps the grounds.
Some variants are attached to a pin that protrudes from the perforated base.
Other variants use gravity to hold the grounds in place and put a weight on the filter.
While stainless steel phin brewers are the most common, you may also get models made of ceramic or other metals.
Some include additional characteristics, such as rubber or plastic handles, which make them simpler to handle.
All of them, however, share the same basic design.
What is the best way to operate a Vietnamese coffee maker?
Vietnamese coffee is traditionally prepared in two ways: ca phe sua nong (hot milk coffee) and ca phe sua da (cold milk coffee) (iced milk coffee).
The core processes are the same in both cases.
Simply put, you’ll finish each drink in a different way.
The procedure is as follows:
In the bottom of your glass or mug, pour 2 teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk.
In a kettle, bring water to a boil.
Grind your coffee while the water heats up.
Use a medium-coarse grind for most phin (approximately midway between drip brew and French press), though this can vary depending on the brewer style.
If your filter seems to brew too rapidly or too slowly, adjust your grind to suit it.
Remove the phin brewer’s filter insert and replace it with 1.5-2 teaspoons of ground coffee.
Shake the brewer to equally disperse the grounds around the bottom, then lightly tamp them down with your finger.
In the brewer, place the filter insert.
If it’s a screw-on style, tighten it all the way until it’s secure.
Simply place the weighted inserts on top of the ground coffee.
Pour 2-3 teaspoons of boiling water over the phin on top of your mug.
Pour it across the filter as evenly as possible.
This step allows the coffee to bloom, allowing the flavour to emerge while preventing the remaining water from soaking through too soon.
Pour in more hot water until it reaches the top of the brewer after 30 seconds, then cover with the lid.
Allow the coffee to flow into your mug through the filter.
It should take about 4-5 minutes to complete the brewing process.
If it happens faster, the coffee was probably ground too finely.
Remove the phin from your mug once the coffee has done dripping and stir the sweetened condensed milk into the prepared coffee.
You can choose whether you want your coffee hot or iced from here.
You can drink hot coffee straight from the cup, but most people dilute it with a little more hot water put directly into the cup.
To make iced coffee, simply add ice to the drink until it is cold.
Keep in mind that the first few cubes may melt, so you’ll need to add more ice than you think to finish the drink.
French Press vs. Vietnamese Coffee Filter
The most common type of immersion brewer is the French press.
Coarse-ground coffee comes into direct touch with boiling water in this brewing process.
Because there is no paper filter, all of the coffee’s oils and flavours remain in the brew.
This is similar to how a phin brewer in Vietnam works.
Both French press and phin brewing take around 3-5 minutes to complete, therefore the water contact time is identical.
In a side-by-side comparison, both in terms of taste and caffeine content, phin coffee will be stronger per ounce than French press.
Most people, however, dilute their phin coffee before drinking it.
The coffee you drink will be pretty comparable to what you’d get from a French press if you make it this way.
- SCREW DOWN VIETNAMESE COFFEE FILTER- This is a 4 piece Vietnamese Coffee Filter. Pieces include the brew chamber, the screw down insert, the drip tray (base plate), & the lid. Quality, robust, smooth screw down mechanism screws all the way down acting as a coffee press allowing you to pack the coffee the desired amount. This allows you to control the strength of the brew. Packaged in a beautiful box & comes with detailed instruction sheet.
- HIGH QUALITY- This Thang Long Vietnamese Coffee Filter is made in Vietnam with high quality stainless steel. You may find cheaper filters online, or at your local Asian Market. However the quality will likely be inferior (often made in China & not Vietnam). Why not pay a touch more for this quality Vietnamese Coffee Maker that will last a lifetime (backed by a lifetime warranty)? Dishwasher safe.
- VIETNAMESE COFFEE DRIPPER- Drip coffee is an awesome technique to brew coffee (we prefer this to a French Press) & the brewing process for this drip filter takes approximately 4-5 minutes. During this time you can watch & smell in mouth watering anticipation. Have fun & show your friends this interesting technique which is environmentally friendly (no paper filters needed), requires very little storage space, is portable, & easy to clean. Great for home, the office, travelling, & camping.
- DELICIOUS COFFEE- Why pay $5 at your local Vietnamese restaurant when you can make delicious Vietnamese coffee with this strainer from the comfort of your own home? Works well with traditional Vietnamese Coffee such as Trung Nguyen, Weasel Coffee, or grind your own Vietnamese Coffee beans or your other favourite non Vietnamese coffee (set to medium-coarse grind). Make the perfect Vietnamese Iced Coffee (Caphe Sua Da), you will be in heaven!
- PERFECT SIZE- This phin filter is a one cup individual coffee maker. 8 oz is our best selling size & brews about 6-7 oz of coffee. More water can easily be added (once some filters through) to increase the volume if desired. This size fits on most cups/mugs. Refer to photo on the left for specific dimensions. We are so confident that you will love our filter that if you are not happy you can return it for a full refund. Start enjoying today yourself & consider ordering a 2 pack as a gift!
- HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: This is made in Vietnam with high quality stainless steel, dishwasher safe. Make the best Vietnamese Coffee with Slow dripper Gladiator Vietnamese Coffee Maker, french press style, drip coffe, hot or cold (ca phe sua da)
- SINGLE SERVE 1 CUP VIETNAMESE COFFEE DRIP can make 1 servings 6oz chamber will give you about 4 oz of coffee after brewing. Suitable for home, office, camping, travel
- SUITABLE FOR ALL KIND OF COFFEE: Comes with instruction, and QR code for tutorials. This Ca phe phin works well with all kinds of ground coffee, like Trung Nguyen, Cafe Du Monde, Starbucks or robusta and arabica coffee
- NO PLUG IN NEEDED: This coffee dripper does not need to plug in, simply pour hot water over to make delicious hot or cold coffee (cafe sua da). Easy to use and portable, good for camping or travel
- NO PAPER FILTER NEEDED: Coffee maker come ready to use, no need to have additional paper filter.
- This Vietnamese Coffee Filter is made in Vietnam out of HIGH QUALITY stainless steel
- The Ca Phe Phin is 8 oz. Enjoy with traditional ground coffee such as by Trung Nguyen
- The GRAVITY INSERT on this Vietnamese Coffee Filter is easier than the screw down type
- This Viet filter comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY and is DISHWASHER SAFE. Satisfaction guaranteed!
- Slow dripper brews a perfect hot or iced coffee (cafe sua da) with this Vietnamese Coffee Filter
- 【High Quality】: Food-grade stainless steel, solid and durable construction that is guaranteed to resist stains, odor, rusting, corrosion, tarnishing and deformation.
- 【Vietnamese Classic Coffee Brewing Method】: Remove the drop pot, remove the pressure plate, add the coffee powder, shake the coffee powder, cover the pressure plate, drop the pot on the cup, then to a little water and you have flavorful coffee in minutes.
- 【Practical & Environmentally Friendly】: Health and safety for daily use.No paper filters needed.Eco-Friendly.Save yourself time and money by getting this amazing product. Reusable and most handy for you to enjoy your coffee, even on the go.
- 【Detachable for easy cleaning】： Vietnamese-style drip coffee pot one pot easy to carry and easy to clean. Simply rinse with warm soapy water or place it in your dishwasher. Portable coffee brewer, simply for all who wish to have their cup of coffee without spending too much time trying to make their morning and afternoon drink, Ideal for home, work, travel, and camping.
- 【Satisfy your satisfaction】: Compact and exquisite design with elegant appearance, convenient and easy to use! Offers 24 hours great customer service, If you have any questions, you can contact our customer service at any time. well, give you a satisfied solution.
- HIGH QUALITY ---- Food-grade 304 stainless steel, solid and durable construction that is guaranteed to resist stains, odor, rusting, corrosion, tarnishing and deformation.
- CLASSICAL ---- Classic vietnamese method of brewing espresso. Compact and exquisite design with elegant appearance, convenient and easy to use! just simply add coffee, add water, gravity insert and you have flavorful coffee in minutes.
- BPA FREE & PAPERLESS ---- Health and safety for daily use. No paper filters needed. Eco-friendly. Save yourself time and money by getting this amazing product. Reusable and most handy for you to enjoy your coffee, even on the go.
- DETACHABLE ---- Easy to clean. Simply rinse with warm soapy water or place it in your dishwasher. Simple for all who wish to have their cup of coffee without spending too much time trying to make their morning and afternoon drink. A small brush is attached to clean dry coffee ground.
- WIDELY USED ---- Widely used at home, office, business trip, camping, travel, etc.Widely used at home, office, business trip, camping, travel, etc.
- ✅DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL: This is made in Vietnam with high quality stainless steel, dishwasher safe. Make the best Vietnamese Coffee with Slow dripper Gladiator Vietnamese Coffee Maker, french press style, drip coffe, hot or cold (ca phe sua da)
- ✅SINGLE SERVE 1 CUP VIETNAMESE COFFEE DRIPPER can make 1 servings 6oz chamber will give you about 4 oz of coffee after brewing. Medium size makes about 6oz of coffee, L size can make about 2-3 servings. Suitable for home, office, camping, travel
- ✅SUITABLE FOR ALL KIND OF COFFEE: Comes with instruction, and QR code for tutorials. This Ca phe phin works well with all kinds of ground coffee, like Trung Nguyen, Cafe Du Monde, Starbucks or robusta and arabica coffee
- ✅NO PLUG IN NEEDED: This coffee dripper does not need to plug in, simply pour hot water over to make delicious hot or cold coffee (cafe sua da). Easy to use and portable, good for camping or travel
- ✅NO PAPER FILTER NEEDED: Coffee maker come ready to use, no need to have additional paper filter. Gravity insert easier to use than screw down insert coffee makers
- GIANT SIZE VIETNAMESE COFFEE DRIPPER can make 10-12 servings 5 inches wide chamber, 60 oz. Suitable for coffee shop, tea shop, restaurant, big family, office, or team
- NO POWER NEEDED: This coffee dripper does not need to plug in, simply pour hot water over to make delicious hot or cold coffee (cafe sua da). Easy to use and portable, good for camping or travel
- NO PAPER FILTER NEEDED: Coffee maker come ready to use, no need to have additional paper filter. Gravity insert easier to use than screw down insert coffee makers
- SUITABLE FOR ALL KIND OF COFFEE: This Ca phe phin works well with all kinds of ground coffee, like Trung Nguyen, Cafe Du Monde, Starbucks, Death Wish, Arabica, Robusta or other types of Coffee. MAKE THE BEST VIETNAMESE COFFEE with Slow dripper Gladiator Vietnamese Coffee Maker, french press style, drip coffe, hot or cold (ca phe sua da)
- Vietnamese style drip coffee pot one pot easy to carry and easy to.
- Environmentally friendly and practical design, suitable for office, home, travel and etc.
- Small size, lightweight, easy to carry, and no need to replace filter paper.
- A drip cup used to make vietnamese coffee manually.
- Widely used at home, office, business trip, etc.
- ENJOY MELLOW COFFEE - 2020 New Vietnamese Coffee Filter in manual press to make out the most mellow coffee, the press plate with high density filter holes to effectively filter the residue, just pour water and your favorite ground coffee into the filter then enjoy the delicious coffee.
- WIDE APPLICATION - Compact portable coffee press filter in dimension of 7.5cm(D)x8cm(H), shown as figure. You can easily put this coffee maker into your backpack or suitcase and carry it anywhere, a great coffee making tool for home, office, cafe, restaurant, travelling, business tour.
- EASY TO CARE AND CLEAN - Dishwasher safe, detachable, just wash the Vietnamese Coffee Filter with warm soapy water then air drying, or put the filter into the dishwasher to get it clean easily. A great gift for both family and friends who love coffee, delivering a big surprise.
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- -Made of 304 stainless steel, sturdy and durable, wear-resistant, having a long service life.
- - It is easy to use. Just separate the filter and put some coffee powder in the pot. And then put the filter with the pot together. Drizzle it with boiling water and wait for 1 minute for the coffee powder to soak. Then pour boiling water to fill the pot. Just wait for the coffee to extract. After 1 to 2 minutes, you can enjoy a cup of coffee!
- -The pot is small and portable. You can carry it to everywhere you want. It is convenient and it wont take up too many spaces. Suitable for office, home, you can drink coffee anytime, anywhere.
- -You can make both hot or iced coffee with this drip pot!
- -The pot can be used with coffee cups or containers with a diameter of less than 90mm. It is convenient and practical, meet your different needs.
Honest Bob is committed to providing genuine guides from a panel of experts. As an Amazon affiliate Honest Bob earns commission from any qualifying purchases.Thank you for your support!